New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: New Doctor Who Series Discussion

Interestingly, one of the Daleks in the preview had a Union Jack on it just below the eyestalk.

As for the "prostitute" hyperbole: I think it was more of a way to explain what the Doctor's visit and subsequent 12 year absence did to her. She never quit talking about him, saw multiple shrinks, and made her friends play games centered around him. As such, she wasn't quite able to lead a normal life after that, which could explain why she ended up in a career that some people would look down upon.

She's a kissagram it's a job there doesn't need to be deep and meaningful analysis, nobody i know would equate being a kissagram with prostitution or look down on it as a job other than it being a dead end go nowhere job.

I'm liking what we've seen so far with the new Doctor and assistant if it carries on like this i'm more than happy, i know i'm in the minority but i never really thought Tennant was all that great, not the worst Doctor but definately not one of my favourites either.

Thought Smith was pretty great, despite my reservations. Thought Amy was fairly generic 'spunky chick', but I'm sure she'll grow on me.

Plot was basically Girl in the Fireplace by way of Christmas Invasion and Smith & Jones, but a lot of great dialogue. Looking forward to next week :)

For those worried about characters that seem to be one-note characters, I encourage you to go back and watch the 5th Doctor and 6th Doctor with Adric, Nyssa, Tegan, Turlough, and Peri. They were all pretty much one-note characters. Actually, Adric never even got a consistent note. He was all over the place as a character (unless you count "annoying" as a character trait). Nyssa was the "smart chic", Tegan was loud and obnoxious, Turlough was a chicken****, and Peri was a walking set of boobs in jeopardy (but a lovely set nonetheless).

My point?

The new series is WAY better about developing its companions as real multidimensional characters. So, I wouldn't worry about what they'll do with Amy in terms of "Will she be more than just spunky."

that said, I really really hope it won't be the unrequited (or worse -- requited) "in love with the Doctor" thing again. Rose, Jack, Martha, it's been done and done to death (sorry -- dunno if they did it with Donna, since I haven't gotten round to watching Series 4 yet). Let's have a different relationship for a change.

Some of the episode synopsies that have leaked indicate that Any's journey will be a little bit different to other companions.

I won't spoil it, except I don't think she will become romantically entangled with the Doctor.

(Spoilers are/were on blogtorwho).

I was really relieved. Matt seems to be filling those shoes quite well. I look forward to the rest, and I am excited to see the Cybermen gutted, limbs missing,and so forth.

FYI: When someone says to use spoiler tags, they mean to use spoiler tags, not "SPOILER" followed by several carriage returns.
Bracket spoiler bracket, ended with bracket slash spoiler bracket..
like this... no harm done, just wanted to clear that up. its a relatively new feature so not too many folks seem to know of it or use it.

Sorry, I was one of those people who had no idea how to do it. But now I do, and I will use them properly. Thanks.

The one thing that did annoy me was the "foreshadowing" of what's to come. It worked for the RTD era. I kinda like being surprised by stuff, it's all well and good letting us know that something coming but just spring it on us already.

Dan

I REALLY enjoyed it. I agree that the music is a bit odd but I don't judge a show based on THAT.

I also REALLY liked Matt as the Doctor. He is odd in a good way and I like how he moves and carries himself as well.

The whole Amy kissagram thing ummm...I kinda wonder if that was a lie and she is actually a stripagram girl XD I mean a nun outfit was mentioned as well at one point and it seems that she may ummm be soft padding things a little. I kind of wonder if that was intended so the older audience members may get the joke but not the kids. I dunno, I'm probably reaching there.

The Tardis...I like it a lot actually. I like the lighting and the raised dais for the console and the stairs BUT, the console itself. As much as I like how the over all look is I find the addition of Earth based items...again...to be annoying as HELL. I don't mind them using found items but DAYMN, at LEAST mod them to look different. Even Warehouse 13 with a shoe string budget modded items. I would have preferred Earth items if they looked like they were absorbed by the Tardis console, not just glued or bolted to it like the last series. 9_9 I mean really, the ringing bell, the typewriter, the little moving bits that made little noises, reminds me of one of these:
2lnbpg2.jpg

I mean really XD

That aside I can forgive any of the little problems I listed here if the writing is as solid as "The Moff" usually does and so far, so good. I'm a happy Who fan. :)

Last edited:
That red head is damned hot. Hopefully she gets put into lots of peril like clothes tearing thorn bushes and very humid environments where clothes need to be torn.

Also, not sure what the hot and cold water taps were doing in the tardis console :/

The Tardis...I like it a lot actually. I like the lighting and the raised dais for the console and the stairs BUT, the console itself. As much as I like how the over all look is I find the addition of Earth based items...again...to be annoying as HELL. I don't mind them using found items but DAYMN, at LEAST mod them to look different.

Maybe they're just trying to make it easier for us builders to recreate! :lol

You nailed the console :lol:lol:lol:lol. When I saw that pic I totally thought of the console.

I think it is a good sign that everyone so far has liked the new Doctor. I do not think Tennet was fairing as well here on the board when his first episode was aired. That is a good sign.

Could the crack in this series be the same crack that was going to the alternate universe in the 3/4 seasons? The Daleks and Cyberman were kind of hanging out in there anyway.

I REALLY enjoyed it. I agree that the music is a bit odd but I don't judge a show based on THAT.

I also REALLY liked Matt as the Doctor. He is odd in a good way and I like how he moves and carries himself as well.

The whole Amy kissagram thing ummm...I kinda wonder if that was a lie and she is actually a stripagram girl XD I mean a nun outfit was mentioned as well at one point and it seems that she may ummm be soft padding things a little. I kind of wonder if that was intended so the older audience members may get the joke but not the kids. I dunno, I'm probably reaching there.

The Tardis...I like it a lot actually. I like the lighting and the raised dais for the console and the stairs BUT, the console itself. As much as I like how the over all look is I find the addition of Earth based items...again...to be annoying as HELL. I don't mind them using found items but DAYMN, at LEAST mod them to look different. Even Warehouse 13 with a shoe string budget modded items. I would have preferred Earth items if they looked like they were absorbed by the Tardis console, not just glued or bolted to it like the last series. 9_9 I mean really, the ringing bell, the typewriter, the little moving bits that made little noises, reminds me of one of these:
2lnbpg2.jpg

I mean really XD

That aside I can forgive any of the little problems I listed here if the writing is as solid as "The Moff" usually does and so far, so good. I'm a happy Who fan. :)

Last edited:
I'm sort of liking Matt Smith so far. I just hope they can SLOW DOWN. Cripes, even with twenty minutes to save the world, could that have been any more frenetic??

HATED the intro. Not crazy about the remix of the theme. Console=Crap. I thought the episode was really "pretty good". I was hoping to be blown away and see something so good that I couldn't wait for the next one and I didn't get that in this story. And with all the hoopla I had really hoped they'd pull it off. Lots of good stuff to be sure but undercut by the "scripted" quality the show has had for some time--something that I had hoped would leave with Russell T Davies--and the influences it wore on its sleeve. When all the radios and televisions started chirping about "prisoner zero" all I could think of was "People of Earth your attention please..."

A lot of really intriguing stuff to come though--I'm curious to see the "combat Dalek" in what looks like the WW2 episode (cool stuff with Spitfires in space but Ian McNeice as Baron Harkonen as Winston Churchill--come on, Churchill wasn't that fat).

After some thought the root of what really bugs me about the show in general lately, and not just the new series, is how bloody cock-sure of themselves everybody with the production seems to be. "Aren't we wonderful and what we've done is brilliant!!" I watched the Dr Who Confidential and it's all everyone congratulating themselves about something that hasn't hit the airwaves yet. To his credit the only one who doesn't seem to be suffering from success syndrome is Matt Smith.

I just about gave up on it when they were talking to a producer and then the director droning on about "how lucky we are to have an actor of his caliber and total dedication to the role and how perfectly he's nailed everything and yada yada..." Like Tom Baker, William Hartnell and everyone else just showed up to collect a check. I suppose producers and directors have to say that sort of thing in shows like that but it makes my skin crawl. Maybe they feel that if they shout "IT'S BRILLIANT" loudly and often enough that alone will make it true.

Anyway, hopefully the best is yet to come.

You nailed the console :lol:lol:lol:lol. When I saw that pic I totally thought of the console.

I think it is a good sign that everyone so far has liked the new Doctor. I do not think Tennet was fairing as well here on the board when his first episode was aired. That is a good sign.

Could the crack in this series be the same crack that was going to the alternate universe in the 3/4 seasons? The Daleks and Cyberman were kind of hanging out in there anyway.

Over on the sideshow forums there is a user who was VERY outspoken on his hate for Tennant and the general RTD era and he's quite liking Smith so far. I definitely see this as a good sign.
I was wondering that.. and I was also wondering if it's going to be the Timelords who did it. Perhaps they had one more trick up their sleeve.
Course.. I just wanna see them come back "proper" so perhaps thats just the fanboy in me hoping.

My thoughts:

Went it with low expectations. I'm an old school Doc fan at heart. even tennant took a while to grow on me. short story - The first couple minutes (opening Tardis flight and theme) were a real groaner but by the end I was loving it. The things that won me over:

1) I liked how Smith was playing the character 85% Tennant/15% Smith. very cool. good acting chops. I will be curious to see where his thought/speech/mannerisms end up. I don't think that was quite permanent. well done.

2) I thought the story/editing was tight. I liked the pace. Little fluff.

3) 14 year thing was a nice twist that got me emotionally invested.

But the thing that COMPLETELY won me over was a somewhat obscure but huge nod to old Who was at the end when they both walk in the Tardis - his coat rack is there. They showed in in half a dozen shots. ever since I was a kid I always wanted one and it's always the first thing I ask for when I walk into an antique shop. It's funny...but that little nod had me feeling like a kid again and I'd say Moffat made me an instant fan with it. My wife was laughing 'cause I'm on a constant search for an identical coat/hat rack. Some photos:

st--5g02.jpg

st--5v13.jpg

st--5v17.jpg

I guess they even have an action figure version of it:
thehappyzodin-2.jpg

*edit* - not sure why the embedding didn't work:
http://www.shillpages.com/dw/story/d4/st--5v17.jpg
http://www.shillpages.com/dw/story/d4/st--5v13.jpg

Anyway, I dug it. And the previews for the season look pretty cool. it was a good day for Who.

Last edited:
One thing I really wish they would stop is the rushed endings. If you have to rush the ending, then just extended it into another episode. I want to see longer serial style episodes like from the old series. I don't want things to always be wrapped up in 20 minutes or less.

Agreed. I hate the rushed feeling. Tennant was the worst at that. I also hate how it's all "Pull solution out of your butt" in the last few minutes. I liked the old school way of having time to actually have a conversation and plan, not just shouting and running.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back