New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: New Docor Who Tonite (for those in the UK)

I think I'm really going to enjoy this!

Harlystone already mentioned mt favourite bit..............SPITFIRES IN SPACE!

Re: New Docor Who Tonite (for those in the UK)

I think I'm really going to enjoy this!

Harlystone already mentioned mt favourite bit..............SPITFIRES IN SPACE!

....and a "British Army" Dalek!

I must admit I wasnt looking forward to seeing Matt Smith - despite him previously being a player for my footy team - however I was pleasantly surprised.

Amy Pond came across as a really smart casting decision.

Cheers

Jez

Re: New Doctor Who Series Discussion

I'm going to cut & paste what I said on another forum:
Like the Doctor, like the companion. Her job at least explains why her police uniform skirt was so short, And he Doctor is sort of like a mad substitute teacher in his tweed. Saved the world with no screwdriver or TARDIS and 2 minutes to spare.
I thought the actress playing young Amy was brilliant, a complete natural.
Not sold yet on the theme music, or the new vortex but I'm glad the familiar Murry Gold incidental music is still there. Kinda disappointed that the TARDIS basically spat out a new screwdriver as part of its own regeneration, would have been nicer if the doctor had to input some energy to fix the TARDIS and then (perhaps in the next episode) triumphantly pull out the new screwdriver he's made.

We watched it with 6 friends, it was a good old evening of chatter, drinks, good slow-cooked chili and Rock Band. The reaction to Doctor Who was overwhelmingly positive, with laughs and whoops and plenty of enjoyment. The new theme music will have to grow on me, but I think it will. Some of the CGI did look a little shonky but looking at some of the *later* CGI I'm guessing it was a case of saving money and putting it where it really matters.

New TARDIS... Love it. Want to crawl inside it, want to read all the little bits of text.

Didn't get to watch Confidential but will catch both the HD's of DW and Conf' tomorrow.

Whilst the story was functional Matt and Karen SHONE. and I really mean SHONE. He was note perfect at every moment and any doubts I had were washed away. Hears to the next 12 weeks. It's going to be fun.

P.S. Loved the lightning in the time tunnel. Made it feel more dangerous. Less safe. And who watched the first element of 'Foreshadowing' for the oncoming season?

I thought the theme music was extremely bland, but after listening to it on it's own a few times it's growing on me. The problem is that it lacks any kind of bass, which makes it seem very quiet in the show I think. I did like the other aspects of it though. It actually sounds quite a bit like the theme music made by a friend of mine for a fan film I shot a couple years back.

That theme music....

Ack.

It sounds like Belgian progressive jazz now.

Please, please, make it not so awful, BBC!

Get a girlfriend Jeff :lol:lol:lol

I think it is going to work well. For me I do not think it is as big a shock as the change from Eccleston to Tennant.

Last edited:

For god's sake the title sequence has got to go. Dumb and bad music.

They chose for a companion essentially nothing more than a prostitute. I mean really, a character who's job is to take money to walk up to a guy and kiss them. Nice role model. Excellent thinking there.

Not crazy about Matt Smith yet. He had a few good points, but not enough to really wow me.

Like the look of the interior, but what the **** is that supposed to be in the time rotor? Dumbest idea ever.

What's a Myth computer? I'm guessing it's not a real company. Maybe something to show up later? I like that they're clearly intending to have some kind of over all story arc to the season.

Definately one request though...

Much. More. Redhead.

title music is i agree awful
the cgi tardis in the titles looks like it was done in a kids bedroom and the new logo is down right bland
the creature cgi and spacece ship also done in a kids bedroom
but other than that i quite lke matt smith as the doctor his assistant is a tad wooden but hot
i think it will get better
but god replace the title sequence and graphic

Did anyone else notice what was on the scanner screen when he lied to her about "just" being lonely...? (or was I seeing things)

And I'm VERY curious what caused the cracks...

edit: BTW the episode is on youtube OR http://lifehacker.com/5504673/how-to-access-the-bbc-iplayer-from-outside-the-uk-with-firefox/ if you use firefox, you can cheat a bit and watch it on the BBC site. the proxy settings in that link are rubbish though. I'm using 92.52.125.20 port 80

Last edited:

Did anyone else notice what was on the scanner screen when he lied to her about "just" being lonely...? (or was I seeing things)

I looked for something on the screen, but I didn't see anything.

Oh, and thanks for that proxy setting. Been looking for a good one for a while.

I like the look of the intro video, but it's very disappointing compared to the vortex in the teaser trailer. Why couldn't they just use that? It was gorgeous.

They chose for a companion essentially nothing more than a prostitute. I mean really, a character who's job is to take money to walk up to a guy and kiss them. Nice role model. Excellent thinking there.

wow - a bit OTT to equate being a kissagram with prostitution :rolleyes

I didn't like the theme music and I didn't like the new console (what was with the old typewriter?)
Overall, I was pretty impressed with Matt and I'm looking forward to the next episodes.

Oh and Karen was hot too

I didn't like the music, but for the most part I was really impressed with everything else. I didn't have much hope, but I think a lot of that was my own resistance to change. I am glad to be wrong, so far at least. One thing about Matt Smith did bug me, though, and that's his very faint eyebrows, at times almost looking like he didn't have any. But I got over that pretty quickly and just enjoyed myself.

It seems to be a more light-hearted series which is a nice, refreshing change. I enjoyed Russell T. Davies run, but I think the change of pace will be nice.

As for the "prostitute" hyperbole: I think it was more of a way to explain what the Doctor's visit and subsequent 12 year absence did to her. She never quit talking about him, saw multiple shrinks, and made her friends play games centered around him. As such, she wasn't quite able to lead a normal life after that, which could explain why she ended up in a career that some people would look down upon.

Wasn't much of a fan at all of Matts when just seeing photos and a short teaser, but I have to say he's filling those shoes pretty well. Great job!

Question:

Are they still doing the "Oooh Doctor, I'm in LURV with you" thing with the companion? 'Cause that got REALLY tired in S1-3 of the new show. I was kind of hoping that Matt Smith's Doctor would be sort of Action Grandfather. Like, he might as well be her grandfather in terms of how he deals with her, but he can do action because he has the body of a young man.

So I finally got around to watching it, 2 times I a row actually and I LOVED it, Matt does a incredible job portraying the doctor, his speech, body language and goofyness math perfectly, the new Tardis is awesome, I thought I would have a problem with the interior even after seeing the radio times pics but it actually works very well. Amy Pond is brilliant, one of the hottest companions, and is portrayed perfectly by the actress, I even don't mind the new sonic, still prefer the previous though.

Overall it's great, they did a good job on the new series and from the previews it looks like it's gonna be a incredible season!!!

Oh, another thing, I REALLY hope they aren't going to do that 'memory replay and use stupid thing from Blade Runner' thing EVER again.

Lame.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back