New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm not saying this to troll, but I'm going to defer to Moffatt on this one.I'm sure if an all-singing, all dancing episode were possible, that featured 11 leading men, three of whom are dead, and many of whom no longer resemble the character they are portraying, if this were possible AND it was able to make it a good piece of drama in itself, I'm pretty sure the production team would have jumped at the opportunity.

What I *think* we'll get instead one of the really good Moff stories, with a bunch of cool references, maybe some cgi older doctors, little fun things. I have absolutely no doubt that this will be a great hour of telly for Who fans.

Sure, I know, I know, time differential and all that, but there comes a tipping point where it's just not credible. Or maybe I'm wrong, the whole thing is a fakeout and we'll get old docs back left right and centre, and it will be amazing, but I doubt it! :)

I halfway wonder if the Magna-Grab wasn't an attempt to explain why the TARDIS exploded back in season/series 5.

The crack in the control room seemed like the same one we see throughout Season 5. That could have been what splintered Clara to the different time periods. Maybe when a Tardis explodes, it explodes in all time periods. It had the same wall blocking the door while it was exploding the it had when river song was in the control room.

So Moffat says "we can't make this about looking backwards'. He says this about a show based on time travel. Come on how stupid is he? Even the original series would from time to time take a look back. Is his ego that big?

Apparently, Doctor Who Magazine says that River is back, POST-Library.
River post Library.jpg

Moffat said "we can't make this ALL about looking backward".

All this says to me is he's also mindful of moving the Doctor's narrative forward at the the same time as giving us a look back at the history of the show.

And other shows have run longer than Who. Guiding Light is the longest running dramatic series.

The Mel analogy is a great one. Both characters appeared and the production was like, "we'll tell you who they are later, we promise you'll like them!" and then never did. I really don't know *anything* about Clara. It's such a complete misfire. And I can't help thinking that the whole thing was because Moffat wanted to reuse someone he'd cast in an episode where their character died.

What do you want to know about Clara? At this point, I think the only companions we really knew a lot more about was Rose and Amy. If you're talking about the WHY of Clara, well you're just going to have to be patient.

Personally, I'm not a fan of exposition episodes that give us a character's complete backstory. I LOVED Lost - it took entire two to three seasons before we really got to
know the characters.

What do you want to know about Clara? At this point, I think the only companions we really knew a lot more about was Rose and Amy. If you're talking about the WHY of Clara, well you're just going to have to be patient.

Personally, I'm not a fan of exposition episodes that give us a character's complete backstory. I LOVED Lost - it took entire two to three seasons before we really got to
know the characters.

Exactly. Hell, in a show called "Doctor Who" why shouldn't the companion be just as mysterious.

I'm having a hard time giving a darn about Clara! Other than the whole "Who are you, really?" angle, I can't see that she's adding anything to the story. And to be honest, I really don't care who she really is or why there were incarnations of her that died a couple of times!

Rory was a much more interesting character. How cool would it have been if Amy died, but he stayed on board, feeling that there was nowhere else for him to go?

Donna was a much more interesting character than Clara, so was Martha, and while I got sick of Rose and HOW UNIVERSALLY IMPORTANT to the fabric of time and space, she was touted as being, I liked her more than Clara!

Other than she being an enigma that the Doctor wants to solve, her character has not developed into much. I know it's only a few episodes, so far, but at least I was intersted in Amy after one episode.

Maybe she'll grow on me, but as of now, I'm just feeling like it's Mel all over again! So in that respect, I guess it's more like classic Who, which could be called good.....

Almost word for word my opinion on Clara as well. GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!

The crack in the control room seemed like the same one we see throughout Season 5. That could have been what splintered Clara to the different time periods. Maybe when a Tardis explodes, it explodes in all time periods. It had the same wall blocking the door while it was exploding the it had when river song was in the control room.

So maybe The Silence was influencing the brothers?

I'm glad that some people are digging Clara, I just can't get it, I feel like I've turned several pages too many and missed why we're supposed to care. Probably doesn't help that I don't fancy her, which seems to tip the balance for some ;-)

I'm glad that some people are digging Clara, I just can't get it, I feel like I've turned several pages too many and missed why we're supposed to care. Probably doesn't help that I don't fancy her, which seems to tip the balance for some ;-)

I don't know, I think she has a lot more of a classic Dr Who companion feel to her than most of the other new ones so far. I am kind of hoping she just stays as a Sarah Jane sort of character and does not end up as a

1. love interest
  2. Inter-Dimensional goddess of war
  3. Savior of all of time and space
  4. The ******** time vortex, Tardis or soul of the Sonic Screwdriver !!!!!

So far as the story is progressing it seems like she is a normal girl that has worse and worse things happen to her as she is around the Doctor. Maybe that is the point of the character.

Is she technically married to Ten? In his personal timeline Ten had no idea who she was, and was long go by the time Eleven married her. How do Time Lord marriages work in regards to regeneration?

I'm excited to see a post library River but it has to be done well and not a stupid explanation as to how she's back. How would River handle two Doctors at once? Technically she's married to both of them. I want to see that.

This may go timey-wimey, but if the library was the first time the doctor met her, then post-library for her would be before the doctor met her, would it not? Therefore for her to appear in an episode post-library, there could be no interaction with the doctor unless the library was not the first time they met. Right?

...I am kind of hoping she just stays as a Sarah Jane sort of character...

Having been watching Classic Who from the beginning (including all recons) I can say that Sarah Jane was indeed a really great companion. Strangely I think the nuWho companion who comes closest to her is Donna. Definitely a friend, but cares deeply for the Doctor (and vice-versa) Answers back when he talks down to her and calls him out when he's going too far, or BS'ing.
Side-note: It'd be nice to get another male companion who could have the same sort of dynamic as Jamie/Doc#2 had.

Not necessarily. They don't meet exactly in reverse order for one, and there's nothing to suggest whether David is playing meta-crisis Ten or actual Ten. So long as post-library River doesn't interact with pre-library Ten there's no issue.

....there's nothing to suggest whether David is playing meta-crisis Ten or actual Ten. ....

He has a TARDIS. 10's has been seen on set (and tweeted by Billie Piper). Unless they're deciding to make the deleted scene where 10 gave Meta-Crisis Doc (MCD) a piece of TARDIS coral (and DoctorDonna told him how to speed up the growth) canon, AND rip apart the barrier between universes AGAIN (and MCD's TARDIS also sets itself to 60's Police Box)...
I'd say its Doc 10 pre Parting of the Ways.

I'll agree that actual Ten is more likely, but you never know.

Even still the previous incarnations of the Doctor don't tend to remember the cross-overs after the fact so if River does interact with Ten there's a precedent already to explain why Ten wouldn't remember her in Library.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back