IG-88 Build (Full Body) - FINSHED! Pg. 6

Re: IG-88 Build (Full Body)

I have tomorrow off, so hopefully I can make some headway on the feet. I need those done before I can really get the rest of the legs finished off.

Scott

Awesome man. Keep it up.

I love the poor man's lathe.

I love the rubber on his legs. What did you say that was?

Also, be sure to check out McMaster Carr for parts. They are all web-based. I went there once to scrounge up parts and the laughed at me. You don't get behind the counter. HaHa.

This project has been on the back burner for me for years. I was hoping to find someone help with drawings / interpretations due to the limited resources. Perhaps even some CAD or render work.

My opinion is the feet were made up by Kenner for the action figures. I don't think the actual prop had feet. I think it just stood on the legs. To me this opens up him to some interpretation. If he is such a bad ass, perhaps he would levitate like the droid in THE BLACK HOLE (MAXIMILLIAN??).

No, IG-88 didn't have any feet in the movie. He was bolted to a board. When the first toy was made (I assume the original action figure, or the 12" figure maybe), they had to come up with something so they gave him some R2-D2 looking feet. A bit of an odd choice, but ever since that's how he's been depicted. There are variations from item to item, but for the most part the feet appear fairly consistent.

Here's what I've spent the last three days working on. I'm almost done, just a little more sanding and hole filling. I primed one to see where it needed a little more work, and that give you a good feel for how it will appear when totally done.

I built it out of MDF, with a PVC 4-way coupling to plug the leg into. Using the 4-way piece (with inserted plugs in the unused ends) lets me fix it in there tight to keep it from flexing once the rest of the droid is put in place. He's a tall guy, so I need to make sure he's attached securely.

foot1.jpg

foot2.jpg

Here is one foot with the seams bondo'ed. Inside the foot, I poured some Smooth On resin to hide all the hardware, secure the pvc coupling piece rock solid, make it look more "finished" and make it heavy as can be. And it IS heavy, which is good. I don't want this guy tilting over. I temporarily glued a 2" pvc pipe inside so there would be a round "trench" in the resin. I pulled this out before it cured all the way.

foot3.jpg

Here are pics of a sanded and primed foot. Still lots of places to smooth out, but I think it's looking pretty good.

foot4.jpg

foot5.jpg

foot6.jpg

foot7.jpg

From here, I'll get the legs done and then tackle the upper body. I hope all that isn't as challenging as these feet. I can't believe these took me three days!

Scott

Last edited:
Re: IG-88 Build (Full Body) - Feet Added!

I just re-watched the BH scene from Empire, I had never noticed you don't see his feet!

Excellent build so far, I'll echo the comments about the porr mans lathe, great idea.

What a cool build! I saw and drooled over Korbanth's at CIV. What about looking at the feet in Clone Wars for reference?

Looks awesome! I was wondering what those were... they looked like distorted R2 feet.

Thanks. Yes, they're pretty much R2 feet with a little bit of an outward bulge.

Most people, if they know IG-88 at all, would think of the toys more than Clone Wars for reference, so I'll go with that source. Especially now!

Scott

No one likes my leg? :)

I'm debating now that I see it and measure how tall IG-88 will be by keeping everything in proportion. I think I need to shorten the leg a few inches. But even then, he'll be over 7' tall. According to SW.com, IG-88 is 6'5". There's no way. He's much taller than that. Fett stands roughly 6', and IG-88 is well above him, standing four feet back, down a step. When I hold the head up at a height that I feel like it should be, it's over 7'. I want to look up at IG-88. He should be imposing. The eyes should look down on people. The shoulders should be about eye-height.

Anyway, that's my take. The head is 22" tall, which is non-negotiable of course. If the torso is 29" tall, which again looks right when staring at a tape measure held below the head, a 6'5" height would leave the legs at only 26"...2 feet tall! Nope.

Scott

I'm debating now that I see it and measure how tall IG-88 will be by keeping everything in proportion. I think I need to shorten the leg a few inches. But even then, he'll be over 7' tall. According to SW.com, IG-88 is 6'5". There's no way. He's much taller than that. Fett stands roughly 6', and IG-88 is well above him, standing four feet back, down a step. When I hold the head up at a height that I feel like it should be, it's over 7'. I want to look up at IG-88. He should be imposing. The eyes should look down on people. The shoulders should be about eye-height.

Anyway, that's my take. The head is 22" tall, which is non-negotiable of course. If the torso is 29" tall, which again looks right when staring at a tape measure held below the head, a 6'5" height would leave the legs at only 26"...2 feet tall! Nope.

Scott

I think the leg is not the exciting part..i think when you get to the torso, i think is where you'll get the " RPF clique" " looks great , watching with excitement statements. The Torso for me looks to be the beast of the project for sure.

but for the heck of it ..." Looks great and I am watching with excitement"

edit: I want to add that this is a great project and I tip my hat off to you for taking it on and showing your progress..others might just do it and sell off the results. :)

Last edited:

You've got a nice leg...:) Can't wait for the rest.... Looks great! Watching with excitement :lol
I honestly doff my hat to you too for taking this on. You are off to good start but the best is yet to come....:)

Scott

I think you're right, 6'5" is too short for IG-88, he's probably really right around 7' give or take an inch or two. I just took look at the famous bounty hunter scene from Empire and it looks to me like IG, if you moved him up to the same level and plane as Fett, is about a good foot taller than him.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished product.

Agreed that 6 foot 5 seems really short. Like you said, he's down a step from Boba, and still taller.

I bet that number comes from estimating his height next to Fett, but not accounting for the step. So if you took 6'5" and added the height of an average step, you'd probably be more in the right ballpark.

I'm trying to avoid this project as I've wanted an IG-88 for a long time, but I've already got too many droids at the house!!

Actually, he's closer to 8 feet tall - maybe a little over.
His head is about 17 inches (not including the neck).
There's about 7 feet of him visible in most still photos and once you add in the part hidden behind the step and the feet that weren't there he's around 8 ft.

PS - Estimating him next to Fett isn't too accurate because he's also several feet behind Fett (as well as below).

Actually, he's closer to 8 feet tall - maybe a little over.
His head is about 17 inches (not including the neck).
There's about 7 feet of him visible in most still photos and once you add in the part hidden behind the step and the feet that weren't there he's around 8 ft.

PS - Estimating him next to Fett isn't too accurate because he's also several feet behind Fett (as well as below).

I factored in the distance from Fett, too. 3-4 feet. The head, with neck, is 22" (with the neck inserted into the head about an inch).

Good to hear I'm not alone in seeing him as closer to 8-feet. I went through a bunch of posts on the IG88Builders yahoo group and the were a lot of sub-7-feet talk. Right now, my foot and leg is at 43". If I go with a 30" torso/shoulder and add the 22" head, that's almost 8-feet.

I think I'll stick with that.

Scott

Thanks. They're certainly heavy enough!

I'm still staring at photos trying to figure out how I want to shape the center torso and attach the legs to it. Is it a rectangle? If so, I just build a box. Are the sides rounded? If so, I could use a couple of large pipes and wrap them in some 1/8" plastic to make them one solid piece. Or is it more of a box with rounded corners? Hard to tell with all the added on details, fins, blocks and whatnot. I know how I'm doing the shoulders, and the basic structure for the upper center chest (the round part).

Meanwhile, I've been working on some of the greeblies for the legs. I like to start with what I know how to do while letting the other stuff simmer.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back