SS Y-Wing cockpit request.

eagle1

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys, Iv'e had a request here in NZ to do a 1/12th Y-Wing commission.
I was a bit hesitant at first to take this on alongside the 1/12th X-Wing but apparently I'm under no time pressure to deliver it in a ridiculous amount of time so I will undertake this build as well.

I would like to request, to make things easier for myself, if anyone could loan/sell me a full SS Y-Wing nose/cockpit to take measures off. I had constructed one in SS around 1998, but it's dimensions are way off, I didn't have all the ref available then so it is not accurate at all.

The pics show this effort, balsa core, laminated with sheet styrene. Canopy was made from balsa core also and covered in a styrene shell and hollowed out, with half of the windows being cut in. This is really a throwaway item now and not good enough to modify!.

Cheers guys

Stu

Good luck with getting someone to send you a studio scale nose. But if that doesn't pan out, you might try the Art of Return of the Jedi. They have page in there that sectionalizes the Y cockpit. Its small, but accurate if you use a vernier caliper.

If you don't mind me saying...that cockpit looks a bit small to be 1/12 scale. Where are you getting the measurements from?

TazMan2000

Good luck with getting someone to send you a studio scale nose. But if that doesn't pan out, you might try the Art of Return of the Jedi. They have page in there that sectionalizes the Y cockpit. Its small, but accurate if you use a vernier caliper.

If you don't mind me saying...that cockpit looks a bit small to be 1/12 scale. Where are you getting the measurements from?

TazMan2000

Taz,
The nose section here in the pics is SS 1/24th not 1/12th, I need a SS nose to scale up from to 1/12th!.

Also those blueprints in the 'art of ROTJ' book are not accurate at all as they are production blueprints for a full scale 1/1 Y-Wing set piece. Funny enough these blues are what I based my Y cockpit on and it came out totally wrong.

Stu

Stu, if you get no joy bud, have you thought of taking dims etc from the FM kit, its only 1/72, and not spot on, but, its close enough to make a presence replicating it at 1/16........?

lee

Stu, if you get no joy bud, have you thought of taking dims etc from the FM kit, its only 1/72, and not spot on, but, its close enough to make a presence replicating it at 1/16........?

lee

Yeah I have the FM Y kit, but I'm not too sure of it's accuracy?. It's really small too, to take measures from but I did consider this kit dude!.
I considered the FM X-Wing for my 1/12th X build also, but the same deal really, I'm not convinced of it's accuracy.:confused

Stu

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back