First Thread: Bioshock Little Sister Adam Syringe

Slukaj

Hello to everyone on the RPF! This is my first post here, but I'm a 3 year veteran of the 405th Infantry Division, so I more or less know how this all works!

So, the first project I am going to put up on the RPF is my Bioshock Little Sister Adam Syringe. This was inspired by Volpin's Adam Syringe build, and was made as a christmas present for my girlfriend.

Getting started, I took a leaf from Volpin's book and tracked down a vintage 1920's brass gasoline pump on eBay (about $20).

4331188043_011266ed5a.jpg

I also grabbed some epoxy putty (in the form of Aqua Mend, which is usually used for sealing bathroom leaks and stuff), PVC pipe, wooden dowel rods, a nice glass jar, brass fittings, and electronics (Red LEDs, batteries, and switches).

After cleaning the handle, I heated and formed the 1inch PVC piping onto the aluminum fuel tube, making a neat seal and a great, burnt plastic-y texture (which would help add to the distressing process later).

I drilled and tapped a brass 3/4" Male-male adapter into the back of the handle, which would hold onto the PVC pipe and the glass jar.

The end of the jar was given a few layers of Aqua Mend to form the raised, tapered surface that would contain the baby bottle nipple. After 20 minutes of sanding with 800 grit, it was perfectly smooth and flat. This being the first time I've worked with epoxy putty, I immediately fell in love with it.

4331188833_106fd937f6.jpg

Then came the painting. I used Rustoleum's bronze hammered texture spray and Testor's spray silver.

4331943226_33cc353535.jpg

After that, I lathed and puttied the wooden dowel into place. You can't really see it, but the end of the dowel tapers into a point (which is really pointy!).

4331944058_fbee600515.jpg

Then came the weathering. I used a mixture of Tamiya transparent red for blood and flat black for grime.

4333919652_455d7647f4.jpg

4333920216_ae1e0e6099.jpg

Next, I installed the electronics system. Using liberal amounts of epoxy putty and a translucent white film canister, I installed a bank of 5 red LEDs and appropriate resistors into the PVC jar housing, which was then permanently fixed to the syringe's handle.

The tough part of the electronics was finding a place for the batteries. Due to size constraints, I was forced to cut my battery size down to a pair of AAAs, and essentially cram them into the handle's grip. They aren't coming out, on account of a nasty lip holding them back. Hopefully the batteries don't die soon.

4333179373_eb92f43297.jpg

Last step was to fill the jar. I elected to go straight to red Gatorade, which had the right color and translucency. Sealing the jar with more putty and silicone caulk, this was the final product:

4431247486_a0b27973ff.jpg

4431249174_ba3188392e.jpg

4431251528_c2b68d2602.jpg

Hope you like it!

I do love me my Bioshock props (Well video games in general), nice work! I like the idea of heating the PVC to fit it into the handle. Where did you install the switch for the lights?

I do love me my Bioshock props (Well video games in general), nice work! I like the idea of heating the PVC to fit it into the handle. Where did you install the switch for the lights?

At the base of the handle was what I can only assume was where the gasoline flowed into from the pump. I just left the toggle switch dangling at the entrence and inserted a 1" PVC pipe into the gasoline intake, then fitted a 1" Steel cap on the end of that.

To turn it on/off, just flip pull off the cap, flip the switch, and you're good!

Wow, great work! I really want one of these as the crown of my Bioshock collection.

Did you luck out on the vintage handle? I've been thinking about making one of these myself ever since I saw Volpin's creation, but haven't seen a decent gas pump handle going for less than ~$50 on eBay. Or maybe I'm just being too picky?

- JD

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back