X3 Wolverine claws..

LogansRunner

Ok, most know that I made X1 claws, and so I've been thinking about going back and making an X3 set too.
Anyways here is the deal, I was looking at this really high res pic of Wolverine, which I posted in the jacket thread I have, and I noticed a while back that the claws look to have a wavy texture to them at the base towards the knuckles. I'm just getting around to posting about them now though. Are my eyes mistaken? I have an explanation for this texture though, I would think that this was caused when the hole was drilled in the back of each claw, so that the wire could be inserted through the back. This is the exact thing that happened with my X1 claws, but I sanded those "bumps" off of each claw. Now if I go back and do the X3 claws I would like to make them as accurate as possible, wavy texture included. That is if my eyes are not mistaken.

---
Anyways here is a pic to show my point.
The other hand it at a more "front" view so its hard to see them, but the wave is on them too...
http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w...rineclaw2hd.png

Your eyes aren't mistaken. I see the same thing. And I assume those "bumps" are there from drilling the hole just like you said. Kinda gives it a little extra detail to it, I sorta like it. However, I doubt that they meant for it to actually be there.

<div class='quotetop'>(Quinn Merrick @ Jun 11 2006, 12:23 AM) [snapback]1259821[/snapback]</div>
Your eyes aren't mistaken. I see the same thing. And I assume those "bumps" are there from drilling the hole just like you said. Kinda gives it a little extra detail to it, I sorta like it. However, I doubt that they meant for it to actually be there.
[/b]

Yeah, I kinda like it to, the "imperfections" are what I like about some props.

Hmmm. Never really seen metal distort like that when drilling. Maybe a machinist can correct me if Im wrong, but a drill removes the debris as it goes. A drill does not punch or force its way into a material in a way that would distort like that.
IMO, what we are looking at in the picture are more likely the rubber stunt claws used. I could more readily accept that the wire/ rod was pushed into the rubber causing a deformation such as this. Just my opinion though.

<div class='quotetop'>(8 perf @ Jul 9 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]1277385[/snapback]</div>
Hmmm. Never really seen metal distort like that when drilling. Maybe a machinist can correct me if Im wrong, but a drill removes the debris as it goes. A drill does not punch or force its way into a material in a way that would distort like that.
IMO, what we are looking at in the picture are more likely the rubber stunt claws used. I could more readily accept that the wire/ rod was pushed into the rubber causing a deformation such as this. Just my opinion though.
[/b]
Sorry for the long reply I wasn't aware you replied. :p
I assumed that all sets of the claws used in X3 were plastic, becuase I read an article saying how the FXSmith's molds were given to Spectral Motion to reproduce for X3. Plus when I made my set from plastic acrilic, I drilled the holes in the back for the wires and they created the same kind of "distortion" seen in the picture. :)

Not THAT much, it isn't.

I've been a machinist for 11 years, and I've never seen aluminum distort that much unless there is a severe meltdown because there was no coolant. Aluminum gums up. But those claws aren't metal- they're rubber. For starters, they're way too dull to be anything but silver plastic or paint, and the edges are too inconsistent and rounded. Also, there's what looks to be rubber "shrinkage" on flat surfaces toward the tips of the claws where the bevels meet- the surface is slightly "bowl shaped".

If they're rubber, it stands to reason that they were pressed onto metal or plastic anchors that hold them onto the hand grip. That would distort the rubber that way.

are you sure they aren't computer animated? It could be some detail that the fx team put in b/c they liked the look of it; an attempt to add some texture.

If they were computer generated, why wouldn't the claws be: a) sharp and pointy, B) shiny, and c) uniform in shape?

The tips are rounded off, and not consistently. That's not a CGI trait.

<div class='quotetop'>(LogansRunner @ Oct 9 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]1334947[/snapback]</div>
Definately not CG in that pic, you can see the wire that is attached to the back of each claw if you look closely at his right hand in this pic.
http://home.att.net/~dan.theman/x3-wolverine.jpg
[/b]

it also looks as if the wire is painted like fleshtone in color... unlike 1&2 right?

or am i totally off?

but yeah i see what you are sayin... and the warbles arent the same on each claw... to me says it was 100% not on pourpose, or they would all be the same.

maybe you could do 2 versions screen used and ideal... like we SW guys do for... well every SW prop possible. :lol

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back