Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Logan, Utah
    Sep 19, 2011, 9:35 AM - Re: "Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range." Part II #26

Ironhand said: View Post
    Did some more work on the Plasma Rifle.

I hated the dead space in front of the carry handle, so I put stuff in there.

Great design ideas. It turned out really nice. Do you ever lend out your work to film projects?
    From
    PA, USA
    Sep 19, 2011, 8:50 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #27

Awesome work! Some of your gun designs are really impressive and would make excellent movie props themselves. Thanks for the detailed breakdown of the components too, you gave me some great ideas for how to use some of the junk sitting around the garage
    Oct 9, 2011, 6:27 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #28

Great stuff like this is what happens when you set creativity free. cheers to you!
    From
    Seattle
    Oct 26, 2011, 1:57 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #29

Harada357, Yellowjacket, Steamtech, blbarrett: Thanks so much for the kind words! Glad I could inspire, I really just do this stuff for fun.

To answer Yellowjacket's question, I suppose I'd be happy to loan stuff out to filmmakers, providing there was some way to guarantee they would come back, hah ha! But some of my friends are amateur film geeks, and I've had several enjoyable opportunities to pop into their productions and bring some of my gear along.
    From
    Seattle
    Oct 26, 2011, 2:06 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #30

Finally back to props btw, yay! I'm brewing up a repro of some cool goggles that will probably become part of my Halloween costume this year, heh.

Oh yeah, they light up too.

Not 100% accurate, but since there's no real prototype, I guess you could say they're the most accurate physical prop in existence?

Seriously though, the guy who does the concepts is great at bashing together all manner of real world hardware into impressive looking digital images.

Now, quiz time: What's it from?
    Last edited by Ironhand; Oct 26, 2011 at 2:41 PM.
    From
    Cheboygan, MI
    Oct 27, 2011, 8:32 AM - Re: "Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range." #31

Ironhand said: View Post

You're welcome to guess at the bits, and an extra prize goes to whoever can guess why I had a Muzzlelite shell lying around in my garage!

=I=
    T2 phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

Great builds. The barrel on the muzzlelite . . . from 3 ring binders?
    From
    Seattle
    Nov 8, 2011, 1:09 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #32

Yep, binder rings. But way more than 3-ring, they're like 20 ring or something.

Okay kids, remember this?

Well, after finishing the plasma rifle, I wanted to revisit the Matson-Deyer Z-20, so now it looks like THIS:

I added some capacitor cylinders, some metal tape, a hard drive spindle, agressive silver sharpie edging, black suede wrap on the grips, and sanded all the anodized metal to get the shine out of 'em. I also stippled some dark brown paint into the crevices for weathering, and to tone down the extremely shiny bits. I'm much happier with it now, looks like something out of Bladerunner.

I even added an aluminum ring to the end of the muzzle.

I really like how all the shapes and surfaces in the middle come together. Serendipity, and a good rummage through the garage...
    From
    Seattle
    Nov 23, 2011, 5:39 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #33

Finished another prop for Gotham City Impostors: The Grapple gun, for your amusement. Just in time to harpoon-steal someone's turkey!

It's kinda hard to find shots of it from the game, but it is part of this MASSIVE image (the kilted Bat on the left is holding one):

From
    Logan, Utah
    Nov 23, 2011, 8:36 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #34

Great stuff!
    From
    Seattle
    Nov 30, 2011, 12:41 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #35

So I've been seeing all these cool Nerf repaints, and decided I wanted to get in on the action. Plus our house is full of N-strike Nerf guns, and I wanted to see how cool they could look when they weren't dayglow orange. And of course, some minor conversions never hurt. I now present the results of the first batch, soon to be Xmas presents for the kids...

This of course is a converted Longshot, a Recon with a converted stock, and a converted Nite finder painted up with a sort of hard sci-fi military theme a la Aliens. I juggled the parts around for fun, since they finally all matched in color. The modular nature of the guns is pretty cool that way.

Here's the two main guns with their original parts configuration (aside from the conversion work, of course). Actually, the stock on the recon is from the Raider. Or was it one of those super soakers? The double mag is just two 6 shot mags with a zip strap to link them, plus some foam padding between them for friction.

For the Longshot, I removed the front grip and installed a cylinder instead. I also removed the bipod legs and replaced them with a Remington foregrip. I even installed a flashlight in there- because the button is on the back, you just push in to turn it on and off. I added a small set screw from the bottom to keep the flashlight in place.

The stock is also completely replaced with this scratch-built one, made from the bottom panel of a keyboard, some ABS plastic, cylinders cut from PVC pipe, and some black foam padding:

The Recon also got a modified stock. I cut down and rearranged the parts of the original stock, and added some tubing to give it more strength. I also added a cut down piece of floor mat for the rubber pad on the back.

Here's a shot of the core guns. The Nitefinder is pretty basic, I just cut down the silliest looking bits, and added disc shaped details (actually bases from old Heroclix figures, heh heh).

For paint, I sanded everything, primed with flat black, then masked and painted with satin olive (cheaper than the ultraflat camo paint, and almost as good looking), plus detail parts primed with bronze. To dull down and dirty up the guns, I used a mix of dark brown and black acrylic paint, stippled into the cracks and wiped / patted down with paper towels to remove the excess. Then to finish off, I used a silver Sharpie marker to stipple scratch marks on all the edges. A bit overboard, but it really pops out the details.

I might paint up an Alpha Trooper with the military scheme, since it can take the spare Recon stock (plus I already painted the drum from it). And of course, one of my Vulcans will be getting the military treatment at some point...

But the next scheme I'd like to try is a District 9 kind of feel, like:

Especially for the more sci-fi looking guns (Another Longshot, a Firefly, and whatever else I can find lying around). I'll try to incorporate more cool protruding metal details in those conversions.

=I=
    From
    Seattle
    Dec 12, 2011, 1:48 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #36

Got the first set of armor done. I'm very happy with it, though next time I'll try it out with grey clothes so you can actually see it! It should fit the boys well enough, armor's pretty flexible that way.

You'd be surprised how cheap and easy it was to get this all together. Secrets revealed next post...

=I=
    Dec 12, 2011, 2:52 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #37

Love the creativity here, top notch!

Those robots are giving me some ideas for my next costume.
    From
    Seattle
    Dec 16, 2011, 12:58 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #38

So remember I said I'd how-to that armor next? I lied. (I'll still get to it eventually, honest).

Instead, we bring you... more NERF GUNS!

My favorite, the Alpha Trooper! With a Raider stock added. 18-round drum and foregrip pump make this a very satisfying and reliable clip-fed blaster. Get yours at Target today!

Okay, this isn't new, I just added a yellow stripe, and wrapped the grip with some olive green ribbon I found lying around. I like it better. Also I should mention the ribbed tubing on the stock is just electrical wire sheath.

But check out THIS baby...

I didn't bother to paint the ammo belt, I wanted to make sure it didn't have any excuses to jam (plus the belt is grey anyway so it looks fine). Still runs sweet!

I did paint the ammo box though. The dirt is just black paint stippled on and dabbed with paper towel. I'm also getting better at the silver Sharpie metal chip effect.

The business end came out nice. This was a pain to mask, but worth it. The metal parts are sprayed bronze, then edged with silver sharpie again.

That's all for now. Stay tuned on that armor update though...

=I=
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    The Valley, CA
    Dec 17, 2011, 5:22 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #39

Hmmmm... Car Mats for the armor?
    From
    Central Ca
    Dec 17, 2011, 9:42 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #40

Randy of AFTimes said: View Post
    Hmmmm... Car Mats for the armor?
    Works in the movies.

Sean's work is incredible especially his utilization of everyday objects.
    You should see his Warhammer stuff.
    From
    Seattle
    Dec 18, 2011, 9:00 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #41

That's right, Randy! I found great looking car mats (Rubbermaid brand, of all things) for only $13 at Fred Meyer's.

Here's a shot of the mat before any modifications. (I later found them in black, but the first ones I made started out gray).

Here's the rest of the materials used:
    1. Some industrial floor mat I bought at Home Depot (the black stuff with holes). This is just one square from the mat- it cuts down easily with a sharp knife.
    2. Foam rubber (the dark grey stuff). I cut up an insulation pad.
    3. Sheet plastic (the light grey stuff). Ideally you should try to get some black ABS plastic, but I had some of this stuff already lying around.
    4. Foam knee pads (Tommyco brand). These were only $5, and they had a cool look to them.

Because the Mat I started with wasn't black already, I just used some black craft paint. It stuck to the floor mat surprisingly well!

First, I trimmed the car mat as shown above, to form a neck hole and make the shoulders bend a bit easier.

Trim down the inside edges after cutting the neck hole, so the sharp corners don't jab you in the neck, right?

And while you're at it, trim off the little poky nubs on the underside too.

For the back plate, you might want to trim off the nubs around the edges of the bottom side.

Cut a slit on either side of the bottom of the mat- this is where the belt will go. Bevel the bottom corners, and trim down the edges so they don't poke into your sides.

To attach the back plate, I made a couple plastic rectangles and ran pop rivets through them, the car mat, and through the floor mat.

Be sure to use washers on the back side so the pop rivets don't just pull through. I made these washers out of plastic, but later picked up some proper poprivet washers.

To make the chest plates, I cut the plastic sheet down to 6" squares, then beveled the corners (note I spraypainted the plastic flat black here). Then I cut the foam rubber to match- these foam rubber pieces just help give the plates some thickness.

To attach the chest plates, I used extra long pop rivets and drilled holes first. Then the rivets go through the plate, the foam pad, and into the car mat. Use washers on the back again.

The Eagle is an old 40K imperial eagle badge- I cast up some with Sculpey, spraypainted them silver, then used black craft paint to shade them.

To attach the front to the back, cut a slit in either side of the front plate (we cut slots in the back plate already, if you remember). Use a black belt and run it out from the inside, over the edges, then back in and around the inside. Buckle the belt at the other side.

To attach the shoulders, I cut some bicycle innertube into strips, cut a slot in the armor and the shoulder pad, fed the strips through, and glued them on.

Here's a view from the inside. To keep the shoulders from flipping around, I glued the straps completely over the top of the shoulders and the armor. There's probably a better way to attach these, but at least they're easy to put on this way.

End result again for reference:

Coming up: some really wicked looking Arm Guards made from cheap welding gloves, craft paint, and yet more floor matting. Stay tuned...

=I=
    Last edited by Ironhand; Dec 18, 2011 at 9:06 PM.
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Dec 19, 2011, 1:32 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #42

That is a really inventive use of floor mats! I'm going to have to make a trip to the local car enthusiast's store for something similar.
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Dec 21, 2011, 10:29 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #43

Very nice, I like your inquisitional storm trooper armor.
    You did a bang up job mashing RL items into pure sci-fi awesome.
    Through some =I='s on the shoulders or the breast plate and you're there!
    From
    Seattle
    Dec 26, 2011, 9:42 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #44

Thanks, Nog3! I couldn't find car mats this style at Autozone or O'Rileys, strangely they only had them at Fred Meyer for me. So fingers crossed for your search!

Finnlock, yeah, some kind of 40K stormtrooper costume will surely happen at some point, with these as the base... In the meantime, they're just fun! The key to a good 40K costume is the guns, since they're such an iconic part of the 40K look. I'll eventually get around to some Nerf 40K conversions- hotshot lasguns, Arbites shotgun, who knows. Certainly a bolt pistol, since the Recon is such a good starting point.

Oh, and now that everyone's got their Xmas presents, we did some quick photos.

I don't have the right boots in this shot...

This is a pretty good ensemble though...

This one's not wearing the armor or the right gloves, but has the right boots!

Some day, we'll get the proper group shot together. :|
    Last edited by Ironhand; Jan 14, 2012 at 2:24 AM.
    From
    Venice CA
    Dec 27, 2011, 4:03 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #45

Amazing work!
    From
    Seattle
    Jan 14, 2012, 2:33 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #46

Okay, on to that GLOVES tutorial. Note that the same techniques were used to make the boots.

The base gloves are easy- I bought a 3 pack of cheap-ass leather welding gloves from Harbor Freight, painted them black with craft paint, and cut the fingers off. DONE! Well, you should superglue the seams after cutting the fingers off, so they don't fall apart.

Next, you need some old rubber floor matting, like this:

This stuff is easy to cut with a steak knife. Just follow the ridges on the bottom and you'll get a nice straight cut.

You can then bevel the edges of the ridges if you want, just by cutting them with nippers or scissors:

Okay, each glove will need a rectangle for the gauntlet and a smaller rectangle for the hand back. I made mine like this:

Then cut some strips of bicycle innertube to form straps. Then simply cut a slit inside one of the ridge squares to feed the straps through, like so:

Note the hand back only needs 1 strap, the gauntlet needs two. I fed my straps through from the outside, then superglued them to the inside.

Finally, fold the gloves lengthwise and slide the pieces on. The gauntlet should end just short of the back of the glove, and the hand back strap should go in front of the thumb and across the palm.

End result- chunky, bitchin' looking combat gauntlets, that still let you touch stuff (like your trigger!).
    From
    Cheboygan, MI
    Apr 4, 2012, 2:46 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #47

Nicely done. I LOVE the way you made that armor. And your nerf guns are just killer!!
    From
    Rumford, Maine
    Apr 4, 2012, 3:10 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #48

Damn, All the ideas going thru my head, never ONCE did I think of cheap walmart floor mats...
    From
    Cheboygan, MI
    Jun 14, 2012, 12:16 AM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #49

Anything new on the bench?
  25. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    L.A.
    Jun 14, 2012, 10:19 PM - Re: Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE! #50

Nice stuff