It has been forever since I've worked on any original props (maintaining my Desert Trooper costume doesn't really count), so I decided to try my hand at STEAMPUNK weapons. And.... I failed.
So to get my confidence back up, I'm slamming together whatever style of gun strikes my fancy, and that's working out better.
First, an old airsoft that has a long history. This was the Daisy version of the old Maruzen airsoft Remington Wingmaster. Those of you who are like 40 years old might remember it . They actually had a working tube magazine that fed plastic cartridges with Super-Realistic-Pump-Action! Of course, the bbs didn't stay in their cartridges too well, and you could only load 1 bb per cartridge, but as a working prop, it was great.
Anyway, enough nostalgia. The ABS stock on these airsoft guns were NOTORIOUSLY fragile and wobbly. So in a fit of prop rage, I ripped the old stock off, ground out the inside of a nylon 870 pistol grip, and glued it onto the gun with Bondo. Messy, yes. Permanent, yes- or so I thought...
I made further mods to bulk the gun up, including adding tubing to both the barrel (for girth) and the magazine (for length). This made for a cool looking front end (pictured inset), but lacked the full-stock awesomeness that I wanted (especially after seeing HARD BOILED). Soo....
I just last week cracked out this 15+ year old project and decided to add a proper nylon stock, since I had some floating around. I dremeled / pryed / smashed the pistol grip off and decided to take the back of the gun down to fit the stock, rather than vise versa. Fortunately the cover could be slid off, so I knew how much overlap I'd have to work with. Because the Airsoft action comes so far back in the gun, I decided I'd have to mount the stock with side plates instead of the standard bolt-through-the-back.
So I made some custom side plates out of ABS, superglued them to the frame, then ran wood screws through the plates into the nylon stock, plus one more screw through the back of the trigger guard for good measure. The end result isn't super realistic, but I added enough shape to the plates to make it come out nice looking anyway, IMO.
The end result: the full size shotgun I always wanted, and it still fires airsoft pellets as well as it ever did! I call her Abigail.