Bajoran Hasperat - not for the weak stomache

YenChih Lin

Master Member
I was wondering lately, what I could eat and tought about trying other food stuff - looking for gagh, but taking real earthworms are risky because of the parasites. So I came to the Bajoran Hasperat - looked into diverse internet source and wasn't content. It should be basic Hasperat. I know, there are many ways to varying a food recipe, but I wanted what looked close on screen (green leafes in a tortilla wrap) and the describtion on memory-alpha:
Hasperat is a well-known spicy Bajoran food resembling a burrito. It is made using a specially prepared brine, which if made correctly will cause the eyes to water and sear the tongue.

And even the prop food didn't lived up to tha describtion, 'cause it was:
The prop food used for hasperat were actually flour tortillas, which were layered with cream cheese and filled with red and green peppers. The tortillas were rolled and sliced before being served.

So, what do you need for basic Hasperat to water the eyes and sear the tongue?

for the brine:

1 tsp. Wasabi (!)
1 1/2 tsp. Cayenne-pepper (!)
a handful sliced and diced young spinache (if frozen, put it directly into a warm small bowl to defreeze, the water can be used for the Wasabi)
1 hefty tsp. cream cheese for spreading on bread
a hefty pinch of black pepper for the flavour
a small shoot of sesame oil for the flavour

for the tortilla green:

6 small tortilla wraps or 3 XL
a bag of fresh Rucola, take some leafs to just cover the wrap
1 cucumber - 15 thin slices of cucumber for the freshness

put everything for the brine into a small heatable steel bowl and make it warm (I used Level 3) mix it and keep warm. Meanwhile, you can put a wrap in a pan on heating Level 2 to warm it up. Spread the brine evenly onto the heated wrap and take some Rucola leafes to cover the brine, then add 15 thin cut slices of cucumber on the top. Roll the wrap and close it with a thin cream spread. You can slice the wrap before eating or take the whole wrap.

Voila basic Hasperat just like the Bajorans used to make.

Be careful, it really really is tearing the eyes and searing the tongue!

Intriguing! It's always fun experimenting with stuff like this!

Needs some meat in there somewhere though- something tasty, but off the beaten path that can't be immediately identified, like turtle or snake or something. :)

-Sarge

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back