Pip-Boy 3000 Build-up (pic heavy)

I have decided to go above and beyond on this, for some reason I haven't been able to think of anything else since my first ideas when I saw the pipboy 3000 for the first time, now playing over 300 hours into the game (many games) I can think of nothing better than to actually have a functional PB3k.

The setback: Todays Tech.
The solution: cheat.

Although I have been looking for seemingly months for the "size of screen" these replicas would use (fitting snugly but not going too far "out of sight" from the enclosed space) I cannot find a measurement.

Can someone please measure the H and L? Diagonal isn't as important... not for me. A little smaller is OK because I can but a very thin frame in (and I would rather see all my screen then have part of it cut off)

Oh and if i had to guess.. I would say.. what... 3inches x 4.125 inches? (3x 4 and 1/8) ( 76mm x 105mm)

Thanks a bundle.

Planning a $1,500+ pipboy 3000 replica...... Stage 1 - Specs.

BTW, I fully share my ideas so no worries, in fact let me go ahead and give a run down.

I want my Pipboy to be a PDA, internet browsing beast. Running Skype, option hidden mic/headphone jacks, USB connection to get stuff off other systems, ETC.

This sucker seems impossible to fit into the small confines, however, this was recently doubted when I saw my first "Internet Tablets" ARCHOS for example has a 5 inch, however all these newer models are widescreen which ruins the aspect of the pipboy - but - what if you could build your own? or contact the manufacturers and make a "compact portable none wide screen basic" internet tablet for "inexpensive solutions" to the consumers needs... then my friend.. we may just have a shot.

System specs won't have to be outlandish, no dedicated GPU would make it thinner, lighter, and cooler, those vents could be re-routed to actually vent the heat as well. There are plenty of solutions - first is finding the right size screen - or creating it. (Pricing a 5.x Touch Screen turned to be rather expensive at around $400 - considering you still have to add wifi/ssd/memory and everything else - plus know a lot of electronics to solder and get everything set up properly)

The cheat idea is to get a smaller screen and a Magnifying lense specifically designed to compress and enlarge at the same time (sounds funny...) but compress the Widescreen into a non- wide format and enlarge it to fit the hole in the housing of the Pipboy.

The last cheat idea is to simply adjust the Pipyboys size - this will be the most time consuming however, and probably rather expensive to re-sculpt a already made prop. Enlarge it for wide screen support for example.

Last edited:
I'm so glad i found this thread. I really don't wanna cut up my clock pipboy and i hate to try and find a Ipod/Iphone just for this but your ideas rock.

I may need to aquire a kit to construct my own for my needs after all, some of the specs simply can't be "measured" so well without directly adjusting...

*looks for kits before going to work*

Wow! ... That's all I have to say is WOW!

I wanted to do a Lone Wanderer costume for the release of New Vegas, but I have no prop making know-how and don't have the money to shell out for a premade one.

Still, total nerdgasm. Amazing work!

skruffy you seem to be the man to talk to i`ve been looking all over the show to try casing for the pb3k when will you be making them again and will the prices be the same?? your work looks pretty epic and im thinking of making one with the looks as well as the functionality so would apprecieate one of your casts on my side. cheers sam.

sgoldsack, good news! I've started the process of re-making the molds and hope to have another run of these going soon.

fantastic will you be making them for the same price??

I won't be certain until I start ordering the materials, but it should be pretty much the same - probably only $5-10 more. However, I am experimenting with another lighting solution other than the LED backlight but I won't know until the parts come in and I've had a chance to experiment with them whether it will be a good alternative or not. If that idea pans out then it will be more expensive than the LEDs by $15-20, but also far easier and better looking in appearance. I'll almost certainly still offer the LED build-your-own backlight solution if people are interested in that.

Well Drewid, we went for nearly the exact frame. Mine is just a smidge larger, I had to cut out a lot of my Pip-Boy. Luckily I had the plastic one from the Survival edition, cuts a smidge easier. Well, at least we think alike. Now do you have any ideas on where to put the power cord or how to make the buttons work through the top of the Pip-Boy?

Oh, Skruffy! Once I get a decent paycheck and cash to spare, I may be game for those LED covers, if you still have them after all these years. Or year. Or however long it's been.

Last edited:
Mine is very thin in some places. I haven't had a chance to work on it since July. I'm guessing you went with the frame that has a built in MP3 player? I'm thinking about soldering in some momentary SP switches to the circuit board and mount them in a way they look like part of the Pipboy. I'm thinking about mounting a USB extension cable in there to get power in, and to be able to upload new pics :)

One thing that will help out space wise is I'm switching out the speaker too. I found a smaller, more powerful speaker at Digikey.

CIMG0153.jpg

I really need to get back to working on this.

I gave up on the "built in MP3 player." I'm now working on integrating an actual MP3 player.

Which is going along slower than painting my 40k army. Stupid Tyranids.

by chance does anyone have the dimensions for the screen. I'm thinking about ordering a kit when they become available and putting a touch screen device in it.

It's about 3.25" by 2.5". I'm using a 3.5 inch photo frame for mine and the LCD screen is just a little tight.

thanks much, im thinking about getting a hold of one of the new kits if it comes back around and dropping one of these mothers in there. :D LINK

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back