RANT: Howard the Duck Dvd

Contec

Master Member
I bought the special edition of Howard the Duck dvd and i was exited to finally see the movie in dvd quality instead on my old worn VHS cassette.
But the first thing i notice is that they had deleted a couple of good scenes :angry:thumbsdown
These scenes are really good and they are really funny and cool and i hate that they decided to take them out :angry

Scene 1
original scene:
In the beginning when Howard has entered his apartment and sits down to look in his new Playduck magazine. In the original we can see when Howard open the magazine and looks over the nude centerfold girl and is then disturbed when his chair starts shaking.

In the DVD version
Howard is about to open the wrapped magazine but before we can see what it is / Cut to the shaking chair :cry

Scene 2
Original:
Beverly has just found Howards wallet and are looking thru his photos and money and credit cards. And then she find a Duck sized Condom and she is blushed.:thumbsup

In the DVD version
Beverly looks thru his photos,money and credit cards / Cut to next scene......(n)cry

Scene 3
Original:
Dr. Jenning/Dark Overlord are driving the truck with Beverly beside him. He starts raging about that he needs POWER and he grabs the Truck cigarette lighter and out from his mouth comes a LONG tentacle with a really disgusting sound effect and plugs into the the lighter outtake and he sits and shakes around and has a crazy Einstein hair and Beverly sits disgusted. Cut to truck driving on the road..:thumbsup

In the DVD version

Dr. Jenning/Dark Overlord drives the truck and starts raging about that he needs POWER and he grabs the Truck cigarette /Cut to truck driving on the road.......:cry:cry(n)angry:angry

Why the FRAK did they cut those scenes?? It can't be because they wanted to protect children from the "HARMFULL content" because they let
the DUCK **** scene still be in the movie
3148290765_f9b8428a71.jpg

btw MODs,this picture can't be harmful because then the pictures of the Avatar statue would also need to be deleted http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=74485&page=3

So you bought a POS hoping the S would be better quality S, but are upset that they cut some of the S, giving you less S, leaving you unsatisfied with how much S you were left with? Just checking (and just kidding) :)

So you bought a POS hoping the S would be better quality S, but are upset that they cut some of the S, giving you less S, leaving you unsatisfied with how much S you were left with? Just checking (and just kidding) :)

:lol
I bought the special because of the behind the scenes look of the making of the movie :)
I did the same with Hellboy and that version had scenes that the original did not have.

Maybe its a money spinning thing?? Perhaps when sales have dropped off they will then release the 'special edition Uncut version'???

Maybe its a money spinning thing?? Perhaps when sales have dropped off they will then release the 'special edition Uncut version'???

Maybe.....but this time im not going to pay for it AGAIN......Internet download here I come.....:love

You bought the Special Edition DVD of Howard the Duck, is there a regular Version that does not have those Scenes Deleted?

I know exactly how you feel, I've noticed many Movies released on DVD have scenes Deleted, I personally do NOT need the Studios to Police Movies for me and delete possibly offensive scenes...I can simply fast-forward a scene IF it bothers me, I don't need them to completely REMOVE the Scenes altogether!:thumbsdown

Wasn't this movie made by the same pathetic has been of a director who replaced rifles with walky talkys? And you're asking why he remove duck bush from the movie?

Wasn't this movie made by the same pathetic has been of a director who replaced rifles with walky talkys? And you're asking why he remove duck bush from the movie?

Oh sorry, wrong has been. I meant the has been who made Greedo shoot first, Luke scream as he fell to his death, etc.

They're practically the same has beens.

What almost never gets talked about is the Marvel comic book that the movie is based on is really funny and was considered pretty cool (in the context of the comic book world) back in the mid-seventies. Steve Gerber, writer/creator was a really good writer.

You bought the Special Edition DVD of Howard the Duck, is there a regular Version that does not have those Scenes Deleted?

I know exactly how you feel, I've noticed many Movies released on DVD have scenes Deleted, I personally do NOT need the Studios to Police Movies for me and delete possibly offensive scenes...I can simply fast-forward a scene IF it bothers me, I don't need them to completely REMOVE the Scenes altogether!:thumbsdown

Its not easy to check the dvd in the store:confused

That's why he's PO'ed. :lol

Hey Contec, it would be useful if you would post the running time for your version. Hopefully the rest of us can look out for a slightly longer version. Howard the Duck is one of my guilty pleasures.

Hey Contec, it would be useful if you would post the running time for your version. Hopefully the rest of us can look out for a slightly longer version. Howard the Duck is one of my guilty pleasures.

It says its 1 hour 45 minutes

On imdb.com :
In the UK two cuts totalling 46 secs were made to secure a PG rating. One is of Lea Thompson pulling a condom out of Howard's wallet, the other is of the bad guy sticking his tongue in a car cigarette lighter socket to recharge himself. The scene with the condom was left intact on the film's television premiere on the BBC. Although the cuts were fully restored in 2008 for the 12-rated Metrodome release the same company reissued the film later in the year with a PG certificate, and this release lost 52 secs of cuts to photo shots in a sex magazine and a scene where Howard works in a sleazy sauna parlour.
Guessing they used the Uk version in sweden.

What almost never gets talked about is the Marvel comic book that the movie is based on is really funny and was considered pretty cool (in the context of the comic book world) back in the mid-seventies. Steve Gerber, writer/creator was a really good writer.

I recently picked up "The Essential Howard the Duck, Vol. 1" at Half Price Books and have really been enjoying it. Nothing in the movie felt like Gerber's writing EXCEPT the diner scene - to me it has a definite Gerber vibe to it. Still, I mostly enjoy the movie, I just take it for what it is.

I'll have to take a look at my copy and see if those scenes are in it, can't remember off the top of my head.

Jim

I'll have to take a look at my copy and see if those scenes are in it, can't remember off the top of my head.

Jim

Imdb.com also spoke of an American Tv cut version of the movie which have Added more bubbles on the breasts on the female duck in the tub...

I was a fan of the comics and was disappointed when I saw the movie at the cinema.
I read an interview with Gerber where he said that he felt that Katz and Hyuck understood what Howard was about and was surprised by how the movie was so different turned out.

Wolf

I was a fan of the comics and was disappointed when I saw the movie at the cinema.
I read an interview with Gerber where he said that he felt that Katz and Hyuck understood what Howard was about and was surprised by how the movie was so different turned out.

Wolf

They might have....but George lucas was in charge so....:rolleyes

Actually George Lucas just put his name on the movie to help his friends get it made. So he had very little to do with its actual production.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back