studio scale X-wing

captain nemo

Hi all

The day came when i was finally talked into building a studio scale model, and to my luck i got my hands on a salzo x-wing to start with.
I was also talked into making some armatures for the ss x-wing kit by my friend from whom i bought this kit,and so far it has been worth it.
The build is turning out pretty good , and i must say i have really been enjoying building this kit.
here are some pictures of the build as it started, also a few pictures of the armature. originally the axle of the armature was stainless steel,, but it became far to heavy so i found a nice aluminum tube to reduce the weight to almost half.
because i decided to make "Red two" i had to make a few changes such as shortned exaust nozzles .

hope you enjoy the build so far, more will follow..:rolleyes

Bo pedersen

ok so here we go again.

a few more pictures of the buildingprocess and finally the painting have started.
so this is where i am now, next step will abit more airbrush for a few panels that i missed, and then some sandpaper to work on the fuselage and wings.

hope you enjoy the build.

Bo pedersen

Looks great so far! Nice paint job. If you want to make red 2 engines to help the accuracy, there's some info in some RPF posts that might help with that.

Really nice work, top notch.

I just bought 2 Salzo V3s so I'll be watching your progress with particular interest.

Now, how do I convince you to sell me 2 of those armatures? =)

Very cool ! What paint did you use for the cockpit canopy ?
I only ask because I am building an X-Wing as well and I just can not get the
color right !

Looks great so far! Nice paint job. If you want to make red 2 engines to help the accuracy, there's some info in some RPF posts that might help with that.

thank you Scott.

I have a few pictures of the studio red two From "modelermagic" that i use as reference, but if you have some links to any info please dont hold them back.;)

Bo pedersen

Very cool ! What paint did you use for the cockpit canopy ?
I only ask because I am building an X-Wing as well and I just can not get the
color right !

thank you Dave

for the cockpit canopy i used a mix of "modelmaster rlm 78 hellblau" and "humbrol 65" 50/50.
when dry i gave it a very light overspray of the modelmaster 78 hellblau .
then it was given a wash of "humbrol 33 matt black".
paint chipping was done with "humbrol 28 mixed with a touch of modelmaster 78 hellblau.

if you need all the other colors i used one the x-wing , then all you need is ask for it and i will post it;)

Bo pedersen

thanks Julien

think the star destroyer will have to wait until it has been repainted.

anyway...here is one more little update on the "RED TWO" .
i am gonna call this update " allmost there!!" since the most painting is done.
i only need to paint the r2 unit and wait for a pilot to appear out of nowhere.
hope to have time shoot some new pictures this weekend during daytime when the light is better.

hope you enjoy.

Just great stuff.

Can you give away a few secrets?

Your method for making the paint chipping apperance and such?

Did you do anything special for the hull color?
A common one mentioned is black first, then gloss white, then steel wool buffing?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back