EFX Mark IX Science tricorder

See the post below that Bryan from EFX responded to.

Rechargeable batteries tend to drop their amount of output voltage suddenly as opposed to more gradually as with alkalines.

The circuit requires 4.5 Volts. If you try to use only 2 and then short the contacts, it will not work properly and there is a chance you will damage the board

We do not recommend that you do this!

Thanks

Can't say enough to how helpful Bryan has been, he agreed to send me a replacement for my scratched tricorder at no charge, I can't say enough how grateful I am. Damn, now I'm committed to buying all their stuff :)

Thank you EFX!

Can't say enough to how helpful Bryan has been, he agreed to send me a replacement for my scratched tricorder at no charge, I can't say enough how grateful I am. Damn, now I'm committed to buying all their stuff :)

Thank you EFX!

Good customer service tends to do that. Which is why I never understood companies that don't care about their customers once you buy their product, unlike eFX.

Hi All!

We are starting to get a few cancellations, so I will start contacting people on our wait list, in the order that the requests were made. We will continue to work down the wait list as we get further cancellations, so this may take a little time. . . And, these are from orders who were in the first 250, so it will INCLUDE the holster. Patience may pay off! :p

If you would like to be added to our wait list, email us at tricorderlayaway@efxcollectibles.com

Thanks

Bryan

My tricorder arrived the other day, and I love it!

I tend to be skeptical about high-end props, but this one lives up to its promise. Thank you EFX, you managed to finally wipe clean the ugly memories of being burned by Unobainium, Icons, etc., out of my head!

Looking forward to more great stuff.
John

Got mine a couple of days ago as well. Beautiful piece, no fit or finish issues, works perfectly.
I couldn't resist taking a pic of my own little tricorder farm. There are still so many more that I'd like to get.

StarTrekTricorders-rkpb.jpg

Holy crap Randall, that's quite the collection! I should have known I suppose. I look forward to helping you add the MKVI and VII!

@rkpetersen: Dude, I love Tricorders too. But isn't that a little over the top? I don't need 4 Sciences Tricorders or 3 Medicals...

NOPE, not at all!

Holy crap Randall, that's quite the collection! I should have known I suppose. I look forward to helping you add the MKVI and VII!

Youre looking forward to doing that for him after all those PADDs, Okudagrams, and wrist comms....right? ;-)

Hey Randall, whose tricorders are each of those?

So! You fancy the tricorders then. :cool
Nice selection!
k
Thank you, Karl! Yes I do love tricorders. And blasters and phasers and lightsabers and communicators and scanners and nebulizers and lasers and controllers and just about any sweet sci-fi hand prop.

@rkpetersen: Dude, I love Tricorders too. But isn't that a little over the top? I don't need 4 Sciences Tricorders or 3 Medicals...
Yeah I guess so, but you know how it is: You get one that's ok, then you see another one that's nicer, and then another one that's nicer still, and before long it's 'Well it wouldn't hurt to have just one more, for comparison purposes of course.' My only problem is that I'm too much of a packrat and too lazy to bother selling the lesser ones.

Actually, I even have one more medical tric that I forget to take out for that group photo shoot. Bought this off ebay. Listing said it was an early Stapleton, which didn't mean anything to me at the time, but now I can definitely see it. This almost looks like a static prototype, in some ways. Wrong color, but the trademark Stapleton paint job is superb. Distinctly rounded edges. Graphics are rather simple (before he started working with people like Tripper, perhaps?) It's hollow, could probably be upgraded to a hero easily enough but I think I'll keep it like this. Which is not to say that I wouldn't like to pick one or two more recent Stapletons with all the bells and whistles; they're hard to come by.

StarTrekVIIITR-590TricorderXMedical.jpg

I look forward to helping you add the MKVI and VII!
That's pretty funny. I first put in that I wanted to pick up some VIs and VIIs (and Endgame, too), but then took it out of the final post. I am especially interested in picking up a hero medical TR-580 with functional handscanner, and also a hero ST III era tricorder. There's also the red emergency medical tricorder from Voyager and First Contact; I'd love one of those but I don't know that anyone's even ever done it.

That's not all he has in his collections :)
And I've learned an awful lot about the hand props of Galaxy Quest from Tom; kudos to you my friend!

Hey Randall, whose tricorders are each of those?
Top row, left to right: MR - HMS - HMS - HMS - don't know
Bottom row, left to right: static screen used (First Contact) - MR - eFX - HMS w/DStines electronics - don't know.

My favorite is probably the fourth one in the bottom row - This medical tric has several additional built in sounds including a simulated heart beat that suddenly goes flatline.

Nope, can't ever have enough tricorders...

Last edited:
Hey Randall... If you like ill tell you a little more about the history your "early Stapleton" Tricorder. I of course know this because that used to be mine :lol. You bought it from Jamie on eBay, who buys alot of my "hand-me-downs." He is a nice kid, but kind of a prop-a-holic who spends his entire disability check every month on props he cant afford and then subsequently passes them on to pay the bills. Sorry to say you paid more for it than he did. I picked up both the science and medical tricorders from Myron in 2005, right when he started. To my knowledge Jamie still has the science version. His tricorders have since gone through a ton of revisions and reworks, so that is the first generation. More than an "early Stapleton" though, you own his very first medical tricorder. When I first talked to him I begged him to do both versions for me. Myron had the medical graphics, but told me he wanted to wait until he had the scanners and the medical back and do it "right." I finally convinced him that the flat back was fine and for my use it would be plenty "right" and be much appreciated. I also specifically requested the white LED areas instead of printed color graphics so that it would have a more "hero" look. Back then Myron was just starting to figure out his style, and he used some of those Stapleton Productions stickers like you have on the back panel on a bunch of his props, but that is one of very few Tricorders he actually signed. I suppose you could update it with electronics, but I think it has history and collectible value just the way it is. Besides, it would be alot of work considering how much the size and layouts have changed, nothing is cut out, and its pretty ugly inside of there.

Here are a few more pics of "your" tricorder, and its mate. (which by the way, im sure Jamie would sell if you want a set)

01.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still kicking myself for passing on Myron's Tricorders when he was selling them on ebay. At the time I didn't know that the ebay seller and Stapleton Productions were one and the same. By the time I found that out, he had pretty much stop selling them. I did finally grab a couple of his TNG Cricket Phaser's, which are really great.

Got my replacement. Oh, tytytytytytytyty. It's so much better.

Old version is on the way. Thanks for the return slip!

#259 arrived today. Boy, is it a beauty! I was worried while opening it, though, as it was rather obvious that someone at EE cracked the box to have a look :eek

This is my first "big" prop purchase. Now I'm afraid of what demons it has unlocked! Already drooling over rkpetersen's pic up-thread.

Well done, EFX!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back