ST:TNG Geordi's visor.

jason1976

Sr Member
ST:TNG Geordi's visor.

I did a few searches, but I didn't find any threads about this, but if I'm wrong, feel free to point me to them, and delete this one.

As a (half) blind guy, I always felt I should have been a bigger fan of Geordi, but I wasn't until lately. I was thinking if there is one prop a blind guy should own, it's Geordi's visor. I though I had seen some replicas floating around over the years (of course when I wasn't looking for one.) But I tried finding one today, and couldn't find a thing.

So, I'm looking for info on what replicas are out there for this prop. I'm not looking to sell my first born (if I had one) to get one of these, but I would like something that looks pretty good. (of course I know the dyhard trek fans, think every thing trek should cost more then your first home, but hey I'm cheep, and I can live with some small inaccuracy's. ) Though, of course, feel free to post the high, and very high, end stuff for everyone else's sake. :)

Hey Jason1976,
As I recall, Geordi's VISOR was cast from a standard cheap plastic banana hair clip - I just did a quick Google and they're all over the place for about $2. Quick & easy is buy one and paint it up; more involved is fix up the hinge area & cast it in resin. Either way not too involved (especially if it's to sit on a shelf rather than one's face...)
Take care,
Mike

I do not believe the visor was made from an off the shelf item. Inspired by, certainly. But the ones worn by Burton on the show definitely form fit his face. Maybe there is one that is close. I've never seen one identified.

The first season was the banana clip, the later seasons used a machined aluminum and brass piece. Very beautiful and very heavy. I've held a screen used one before. Unfortunately I don't have photos.

Gregg

I took a photo of a screen used visor at comic-con a few years back. I think it was from a Profiles in History auction, from the Generations movie:

2712825430_b938e37171.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampirate/2712825430/

I always thought it was really cool too :cool

Mic is correct. The visor was inspired by a girls hair clip. INSPIRED by only. The visor changed a few times over the course of the series and movies but starting with the first season it was a scratch built piece. The biggest change was the brass tines alternated, not attached at both the top and bottom. Later versions were attached at both ends.

Shot from Encounter at Farpoint (Season 1, Episode 1):

attachment.php

Last edited:
I would definitely be in if someone tackles an accurate machined visor. I made a styrene visor awhile back and its, well, just OK. I would like a more accurate metal visor though. :love

I had two aluminum ones that I made after grabbing a micrometer and heading down to the Experience a few years back. One was a gift and one went away when times got tough. I don't know what ever happened to the schematics I had drawn up...

I have a template I traced off a friends visor prop. I don't know where he got it but it seemed very accurate to me. I traced it about 10 years ago. Unfortunately I won't be able to scan it until Monday, but I'll post it in PDF form here then.

If you're willing to post the tracing that would be awesome. I'd love to see what we could come up with.

Gregg

It's hard to believe that in all these years, no-one has done a run of these. I would think one of the old time trek guys would chime in, with a "we did a run of those a few years ago" sort of thing. Though I guess that wouldn't really put one in our hands today anyway's.

I'm in no place to do a run. (dont do machine work myself, don't have a machine shop I work with, don't have the money, or time, to organize, or front a run, right now.) but if someone else did, and the price was right, I would be in.

Actually, I was just looking for a cheep resin kit, "toy-prop" version, but the more I think about it an aluminum, nad brass version would be very, very, cool. :)

I'm really hoping that some of our resident machine guys, speak up. (I'm thinking of someone like Russrep, or Nicksdad. etc.) We might even get enough interest if we extended the run idea to places like Trek prop Zone.

I'll be honest with you guys. I was building another project and I though wow I haven't made a visor yet. Being someone who has been wearing glasses all his life, I always wanted a visor like Geordi's. I made a quick mockup and I just finished my replica a couple of days ago.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/957/dsc04922as.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3670/dsc04921ad.jpg

Its really simple - foamcore boards, wooden dowels and some hotglue, but it soothed my visor craving. If anyone's making a more accurate one I'd like to see it! Mine also has blue holograms on the temples and is made to fit my face. I put some dark cloth inside to make up for being able to see my eyes through the tines. Unfortunately there is poor visibility when wearing the visor.

Last edited:
WOW! that looks fantastic.

It did get me thinking though. How could we do a run, if every one wanted one to fit them? I mean, we all have different sized heads, so how could we do a "one size fis all" run? I mean, I'm cool, if mine doesn't end up fitting, becasue mine would be for display, but for those that might want to put theirs on, and take it for a spin........?

Visor.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi Jason,

during the last 25 years I made about 15 VISORs from PVC hard foam. PVC hard foam is easy to work with just like wood. The hardest part is always the sanding of the edges, because if you wear a VISOR for some hours it needs to be as most comfortable as possible.

My VISOR is attached by a brown rubber band which I can hide under my hair instead of screwed on the head like the original.

As far as I know Geordi had at least three different VISORs during the 7 year run of TNG. My VISOR is based on the one he had since season 5 or 6.

If you need any patterns or high resolution pics just drop me a PM.

Dietrich

If ur willing to share a pattern, I can probably have my cnc shop cut one out pretty quickly and we could go from there. See if it's worth doing a run of for a kit.

I'm willing to take this on and we could do it in either plastic or aluminum.

Gregg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back