ST:TNG Geordi's visor.

Well as one of the old time Trek guys we never did a run because the numbers were not there.

I would say that maybe 1 out of a 100 people would ask about those at the Cons.

It's hard to believe that in all these years, no-one has done a run of these. I would think one of the old time trek guys would chime in, with a "we did a run of those a few years ago" sort of thing. Though I guess that wouldn't really put one in our hands today anyway's.

Hi guys,

the biggest problem with the VISOR is that every face is different. The patterns I made fit to my face, maybe to a few others, but certainly not everybody.

The attached is taken two years ago on the FedCon in Bonn, Germany.
Dietrich

I'd personally just want one to sit on a shelf and look pretty. As a short fat (well...not so fat these days) white guy, I doubt I'd ever have a reason to wear that particular costume, although Kerner you do it well!

Gregg

Well, who's to say that LaForge was the only person ever to wear one? Sure lots of blind people would gone for the artificial eyes (as Geordi later did) but some others might have found the increased visual spectrum useful.

Design question...

The brass rod? I'm thinking 1/8", each about an inch long, and probably between 80-90 per visor. Anyone feel like figuring it out a little further?

Gregg

Well, who's to say that LaForge was the only person ever to wear one? Sure lots of blind people would gone for the artificial eyes (as Geordi later did) but some others might have found the increased visual spectrum useful.

I'm just saying I'D never wear it. Just like I'd never wear a Stormtrooper costume because I'm only 5'5". I'd spend the whole day explaining that I know I'm not Geordi. :)

Thanks Droidboy,

I just realized that I'm a little smaller than you.....

here are a few pics I found on my HD that might be usefull.

Dietrich

Attachments

• 2673-0018.jpg
    2673-0018.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 640
Dietrich those are great pics! Thanks for sharing!

My thought is to have the top and bottom plates machined, and then have the side panels cut, put them into place and blend them in.

If I could get top and bottom scans of the plates, I could trace them, have them cut and we could go from there.

Gregg

No problem Gregg, you're welcome.

Here are the patterns from my VISOR for the top and bottom part. File 1 + 2 I found on the TPZ and they are based on the VISOR from season 1.

Dietrich

Awesome!!

Any idea how many bars there are supposed to be or how far apart they are?

Also, I'm meeting with my CNC guy tomorrow, so I hope to have a prototype to share, and I think I've figured out how to do it and make it look a little cleaner than the studio one.

This is the one I want to base it off of:

profiles-visor.jpg

Gregg

Last edited:
Ahhh the VISOR - nice prop - what about Neodym magnets for fixing on the head, just weak enough to hold it on the temples, but not too strong enough to rip them off.

This is very exciting, and I am among those that would just wont it for display, so I too wouldn't care too much if mine fit.

Magnets, might not be the best idea. (no offence.) I've just read in a number of books, that if you hold a magnet to some-ones temple, it will disorient them, and/or Through them off balance. (though it never really worked on me.) it may be a non problem, but I wouldn't want to make someone sick. Though, if they were week enough, i guess it could work.

No problem Gregg, you're welcome.

Here are the patterns from my VISOR for the top and bottom part. File 1 + 2 I found on the TPZ and they are based on the VISOR from season 1.

Dietrich

Those are mine that I made from the prop at the Experience. I had them measured with a micrometer and traced. Then drawn into a 3D autocad file and then laid out flat. I made one off of them and found out later it fit Levar perfectly! :thumbsup
I'm glad now that I gave that file out to a few friends as it was on my old computer that crashed!
So now it comes back to me! :lol
I was thinking of making another one not to long ago...

I would definitely sign up for an all-metal, professionally machined and assembled La Forge visor. As with some others, I'd get it just for display; it wouldn't necessarily have to fit my own big fat head!

I've just read in a number of books, that if you hold a magnet to some-ones temple, it will disorient them, and/or Through them off balance. (though it never really worked on me.)

It's true that extremely strong magnetic fields can induce symptomatic electrical activity in the brain. This has been seen with the newest generation MRI scanners, which operate in the 3 Tesla range. In practical terms, though, a 3 T magnetic field can only be achieved with superconducting electromagnets.

Most MRI scans, performed every day with no detectable deleterious side effects on countless thousands of people, are done at field strengths of 1.5 T or less. It's just an incredibly safe and effective technology for medical imaging; as a rule, far safer than CT and far more versatile than ultrasound.

A tiny permanent magnet, even a relatively strong one made of neodynium-iron-boron, can only manage a magnetic field of 1.3 T at most, and only over a very small area which fades with distance. I think worrying about side effects from having magnets at your temples is a non-issue. The better question would be - Why bother to put magnets on the visors, unless you're also going to embed a matching set in your temples? (Although you could always use superglue, I guess.)

It was a suggestion, better than screwing them on the temples - Levar had headaches, remember?

Yeah, the magnets just held the little gold "cover buttons" in place, they wouldn't need to be exceptionally strong. The first couple seasons they just literally clamped the thing to the boy's head with those little Allen screws! :eek Later though, they just used black elastic.

-Sarge

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back