ST:TNG Geordi's visor.

Yay! Yipee! Wahoo! :thumbsup

Can't wait for these to come out. Awesome job, Gregg. Thanks to both you and Jason for having gotten this all started (Jason for having started this thread in the first place, and Gregg for putting this kit together).

One quick question, though. I read through the rest of this thread, and couldn't find any info pertaining to the material used for the red circles at each end of Geordi's VISOR.

Any idea just what kind of holographic material it was, and where it originated from? :confused

Last edited:
Well I got the brass in. It's easy enough to cut, but trying to work out the best method.

Gregg

Yeah I was kind of wondering about that. I mean, if you paint your plastic first, then glue on the metal parts, the glue could mess up the paint, but if you put it together first, it could be problematic to the painting. If you put it together first, and then put in the brass rods, how do you get those last 1 or 2, on each side, where the rounded part of the cut out in the front is? But, I don't really see how you could put the brass in before you put the front one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the plans for the kits. And very happy it's moving forward. I'm just thinking out loud. I know from years, and years, at this hobby, if there is a way to mess up (even a easy kit) I will find it. :lol

My girlfriend is going to get a such a kick out of this. She loves next Generation, she loves Geordi, and she's always picking on me for being visually impaired. (She even sent a Geordi visor to my little app pet on Myspace) I'm sure when she walks in, and sees one seting with the rest of my star trek stuff, she will love it. :)

First I appologize that these photos are now everywhere, but here is the mostly finished piece:

P1050553.jpg

P1050552.jpg

P1050551.jpg

Just have to put something on the temples. I probably have 2 2 1/2 hours into it, but I'd imagine the next one will be far less time now that I've figured out the right tools to use.

Gregg

Not trying to be "that guy" because this project is beautiful and I want in on it, but looking at your pic versus the photos of the prop in this thread, it seems like the brass bars on the screen used version are smaller, closer together, and there are many more of them. Is that just from the angle of the photo?

I took a photo of a screen used visor at comic-con a few years back. I think it was from a Profiles in History auction, from the Generations movie:

2712825430_b938e37171.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steampirate/2712825430/

In the early ver. the bars were 1/8 inch brass tube with a 1/8 inch space between them.

Not trying to be "that guy" because this project is beautiful and I want in on it, but looking at your pic versus the photos of the prop in this thread, it seems like the brass bars on the screen used version are smaller, closer together, and there are many more of them. Is that just from the angle of the photo?

It looks like the screen-used example in post #5 to me and the brass bars are to Mike Moore's information. :)

Hi Guys,
It's the other way around the first Visors had black elastic on one ver. and another ver. had ear tabs like glasses. It was not the pressure on his head that gave him the headache it was the rods in front of his eyes. The last ver. was the ones with the screws and clamps which Lavar helped to work out so he could work with them on longer and it was not so hard to take them on/off.
There were also hard plastic and rubber ver. for stunts.
Droidboy
The photo you have chosen is of the clamp on style. The holotape cover is attached to a sheet magnet which sets no the set screw that adjust the pressure plates on the temples.
In the early ver. the bars were 1/8 inch brass tube with a 1/8 inch space between them. The later ver. were gold plated alum. to reduce the weight on the nose. The main body of the Visor is alum. the upper and lower plates are styrene sheet. There is also a vacuumformed nose cup of Lavar's nose. So it aligned in the same place. The main body was machined flat and then bent over a tool to match Lavar's head size. Then we would make the little tweaks to make it fit just right.

3948966845_29e7358b13.jpg

Hope this helps,

HMS Mike

This is the version I modeled it after with the upper and lower plates in styrene, front plate in aluminum, and the 1/8" rod with 1/8" spacing. The only difference is that I'm not gold plating the rod, just going with brass.

Gregg

Yeah, looking at the pics, and info through out this thread, you can see that there were at least a few different versions. Wall I do think there were some with the bars closer together, and with more bars, I think this is a very nice replica of this particular version of the prop.

I think it was a good one to go with too. Because, I think the other versions my have been harder to see out of. (if anyone does plan on wearing there replica.

Agreed Aaron,

that was my first impression as well when I saw the pics.

Dietrich

Apparently, Levar Burton has noticed this little project! :love I found this Twitter message, he placed on someone's page, via Google:

@levarburton Some people on the Replica Prop forum are making Geordi's Visor, Thought you would be interested http://bit.ly/bRcwfb
11:21 PM Mar 7th via TweetDeck in reply to levarburton

Not much to it but it's interesting to see he's seen the project anyway. :p

Last edited:
Right on! Wasn't my intention to start an accuracy war over something I couldn't have built myself (lord knows there is enough of that on this forum already), just askin. Does look right on to that PIH picture. I've been looking for a good replica if the visor for a long long time, and am very excited about this project.

kertratz...No big deal man. With all the different versions I just picked one.

Ok, I'm majorly geeking out over the fact that Mr. Burton commented on this. Holy crap that's cool!!!

Gregg

Ok, I'm majorly geeking out over the fact that Mr. Burton commented on this. Holy crap that's cool!!!

Gregg

Exactly. :love

Too bad half of the discussion on these are in a "hidden" thread in the Junkyard that he can't see unless he's a member ...or, he may be a member here too? :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back