ST:TNG Geordi's visor.

Yeah, the magnets just held the little gold "cover buttons" in place, they wouldn't need to be exceptionally strong. The first couple seasons they just literally clamped the thing to the boy's head with those little Allen screws! :eek Later though, they just used black elastic.

-Sarge

Hi Guys,
It's the other way around the first Visors had black elastic on one ver. and another ver. had ear tabs like glasses. It was not the pressure on his head that gave him the headache it was the rods in front of his eyes. The last ver. was the ones with the screws and clamps which Lavar helped to work out so he could work with them on longer and it was not so hard to take them on/off.
There were also hard plastic and rubber ver. for stunts.
Droidboy
The photo you have chosen is of the clamp on style. The holotape cover is attached to a sheet magnet which sets no the set screw that adjust the pressure plates on the temples.
In the early ver. the bars were 1/8 inch brass tube with a 1/8 inch space between them. The later ver. were gold plated alum. to reduce the weight on the nose. The main body of the Visor is alum. the upper and lower plates are styrene sheet. There is also a vacuumformed nose cup of Lavar's nose. So it aligned in the same place. The main body was machined flat and then bent over a tool to match Lavar's head size. Then we would make the little tweaks to make it fit just right.

3948966845_29e7358b13.jpg

Hope this helps,

HMS Mike

Hi Guys,
It's the other way around. The last ver. was the ones with the screws and clamps which Lavar helped to work out so he could work with them on longer and it was not so hard to take them on/off.

Hope this helps,

HMS Mike

Ahhhh! Thanks for clearing that up! I had it bass ackwards all these years!

(pesky temporal anomalies! :lol)

-Sarge

Thanks for the tips Mike. I can't wait to see what I can come up with tomorrow at the shop. I'll probably do a plastic mock up first to make sure the process is right before we do the metal version, but your help as always is perfect!

Gregg

No problem Gregg, you're welcome.

Here are the patterns from my VISOR for the top and bottom part. File 1 + 2 I found on the TPZ and they are based on the VISOR from season 1.

Dietrich

Those are mine that I made from the prop at the Experience. I had them measured with a micrometer and traced. Then drawn into a 3D autocad file and then laid out flat. I made one off of them and found out later it fit Levar perfectly! :thumbsup
I'm glad now that I gave that file out to a few friends as it was on my old computer that crashed!
So now it comes back to me! :lol
I was thinking of making another one not to long ago...

These were the same ones I used for my styrene build. I knew someone would beat me to it. :p

Hi Guys,
It's the other way around the first Visors had black elastic on one ver. and another ver. had ear tabs like glasses. It was not the pressure on his head that gave him the headache it was the rods in front of his eyes. The last ver. was the ones with the screws and clamps which Lavar helped to work out so he could work with them on longer and it was not so hard to take them on/off.
There were also hard plastic and rubber ver. for stunts.
Droidboy
The photo you have chosen is of the clamp on style. The holotape cover is attached to a sheet magnet which sets no the set screw that adjust the pressure plates on the temples.
In the early ver. the bars were 1/8 inch brass tube with a 1/8 inch space between them. The later ver. were gold plated alum. to reduce the weight on the nose. The main body of the Visor is alum. the upper and lower plates are styrene sheet. There is also a vacuumformed nose cup of Lavar's nose. So it aligned in the same place. The main body was machined flat and then bent over a tool to match Lavar's head size. Then we would make the little tweaks to make it fit just right.

Hope this helps,

HMS Mike

This actually helps soooo much. Thanks Mike! Now, I'm hoping someone can make a run of these happen; I'm on board! :love

Here is what I've come up with:

P1050522.jpg

P1050528.jpg

P1050529.jpg

P1050530.jpg

I made a change to the design to help with the assembly and look. If you notice on the inside of the visor I put what my machinist and I decided are a string of pearls. These intentions allow there to be a defined place to put the 1/8" rods, which I am going to use brass for mine. That will keep them evenly spaced and straight up and down.

I can do this one of two ways, all styrene or with an aluminum front plate...if anyone wants them. I've got to figure out about having the aluminum bent because I'm not going to do it.

Thoughts?

Gregg

Not just "YEAH" but "HELL YEAH"!! That looks awesome!!

I'd like to have mine in aluminum but an unsure about bending it without cracking the metal. Thank you so much for making these happen, I've wanted one of these for YEARS! I'd even take a styrene one with brass rods if I had to though. But metal looks best IMO.

Jhusel

I will have the metal plates bent, I just don't know by whom yet. I'll make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can come up with for everyone. If I can keep the pricing down and people are interested, I will put up an interest thread so I can do a bunch at one time.

I really owe all the work to those HMS Mike, Deitrich and NakedMoleRat. They did all the work, I just followed their instructions.

Gregg

Droidboy, first of all th prototype is absolutely incredible, this has been one of my favorite oddball trek props of all time, thanks so much fo doing these, incredible job, just incrdible! So you are planning on doing a run?

I'd like to do a run of these as kits, both with styrene and aluminum front plates.

I'm hoping tomorrow to get pricing on having the fronts bent for the aluminum and as soon as I get that I'll do an interest list.

Gregg

I'd like to do a run of these as kits, both with styrene and aluminum front plates.

I'm hoping tomorrow to get pricing on having the fronts bent for the aluminum and as soon as I get that I'll do an interest list.

Gregg

AWESOME! :love Count me in. Great work ...I don't even want to post a pic of my styrene version now. :lol

Well I took the metal front plate to a metal shop and hope to have results back today or tomorrow. I also ordered some brass rod, so my hope is that in a few days I'll have a metal one completely finished.

Gregg

WOW! I think this is the fastest moving project I've seen on here, in ......well....... ever. :) This really is amazing. I'm very excited to see how they end up looking, and the end price.

I was kind of hoping for an all metal one, but hey, if the one on the show had styrene, then you can't beat that for accuracy. And it should help to keep the price down, witch is very cool. (I'm also very happy that there might be an all styrene version offered for those of use, that might not end up being able to afford the metal, and styrene kits. :) )

Thanks to all that have contributed, and for all the great work so far. I never expected when I posted this thread, that it might lead to someone doing what might possibly be the first run off these ever. :)

Whoa! I go away for a couple days and an incredible piece pops out! I might be down for one if the price is right. Great work~

I definitely plan on keeping these as affordable as possible.

I could definitely do an all metal version of this, that wouldn't be a problem. Cost would be significantly more due to materials cost, but when I have a price on having the front plates bent to shape I'll list all three kit prices.

Gregg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back