My Toht CoatHanger using Barnett Tutorial

SchubroProductions

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is the my finished Toht coathanger using BarnettCollege's great tutorial. It turned out better than I expected. Big thanks to BarnettCollege for posting this awesome tutorial here over at the COW.

tohthanger.jpg

What did you use for the tubing? I was going to raid Home Depot this weekend, but I don't recall them having anything closer than 1/2-inch copper pipe.

I used 1/2 inch aluminum tubing from Lowe's.
I'll have to go to my local Lowe's tomorrow, as the closest thing Home Depot had was copper pipe and conduit, which would be much too heavy.

I was able to find some springs, but I'll have to trim two of them to make the shorter springs and join another two sections to make the long spring. I also couldn't find a perfectly matching chain or steel wire, so hopefully Lowe's will have what I need.

Was the aluminum tube stock in a special section?

^ I'll have to add Ace to my list. I found some chain that is the right size, but the links have a helical twist on them, so it's not quite SA. Then again, it was only $0.50/foot, so I might just use it anyway as I'm a cheapskate.

For the round rings, I'm experimenting with latching book rings I picked up from OfficeMax.

^ Thanks! I'll try to snag some at Lowe's tomorrow. Oddly I could only find copper wire at Home Depot.

^ And the local Lowe's (well, not exactly "local" as it was 14 miles away) had pretty much everything I needed. I'll need to join some shorter springs and will substitute some chain links as I couldn't quite find exactly the right style, but the project is a go. :)

And here's mine. I shortened the chain as the hanger was a bit droopy otherwise and used quick links for the chain and book rings at the hook.

toht-coat-hanger.jpg

Here is the my finished Toht coathanger using BarnettCollege's great tutorial. It turned out better than I expected. Big thanks to BarnettCollege for posting this awesome tutorial here over at the COW.

tohthanger.jpg

I would like to craft an authentic Gestapo Major Arnold Ernst Toht folding coat hanger. If the tubes you used are Lowes 1/2" aluminum tubes, what size is the short center bottom tube? What size chain links did you use? What size springs did you use? My email address (jlenza@stny.rr.com) Thank you for your help. Blondie

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back