First Ever Official RPF Group Build - IT HAS BEGUN...

Sorry to have been MIA in this thread for so long. Real-life has gotten a bit out of hand this summer! Now suddenly we're less than a month from the end of the Group Build...

While I have not been working on my Mercury capsule model, I have continued to collect research. Of course, it's a snowball effect. Started wanting to add a little extra detail, then maybe a little more, then a lot more! This is an awesome kit, but once you get into the research, you start seeing all the missing details...

I'm at a point that I should be able to begin work on it, again. Not sure if I'll finish by eom, but let's see how far I can get.

Marcus

Well here it is, my LM. Apart from rc cars this is the first model kit i have done so don't be too hard on it lol.

DSC054801a.jpg

DSC054861a.jpg

DSC054791a.jpg

That looks better then many LMs I've seen. It certainly looks the part. I like it!

"She wants a rocket ride, She wants a ROCKET RIDE!!!" ;)

Sorry I hadn't finished anything for this as I just had a BAD case of burnout related to the Moonraker stack when this started 6 months ago. Granted while I am back to working on it, it isn't exactly a realspace subject in the strictest sense. I am liking what I am seeing with these other builds though.

If people are interested, I can extend the deadline through the end of the year.

-Fred

Ok, as now seen on page 1, the end date has been bumped to December 31st.

No more 'scuses, so get back to buildin', you scallywags :cool :lol

-Fred

I'm here, just nothing to report :unsure

I need to put a couple coats of black on, then decals... I've used water-slides before but I just stuck them on, but I see there is some super-special way to do it? Kinda lost on that, but I'm not there yet

Well, when you get to that stage, ask away :cool.

There's no real "secret" way, per se, but there are ways to get more "professional" results. Put down a good gloss coat before decaling. Decals go down better over gloss, than matte. After applying the decal, brush with some diluted white vinegar (70% vinegar, 30% water), to pull the decal down. After that's cured, give it another gloss coat to seal them in and bring everything together.

I just finished working on a 1/72 F9F-8 Cougar in a Blue Angels scheme. She's a 25 year old Hasegawa kit, that had 25 year old waterslide decals :sick. I had to soak these things in hot water - for over a minute - before they would release from the carrier sheet. And when they did, they were cracked. Using the method above, you'd almost never know how bad the decals were. When I get some pictures, I'll post them up.

-Fred

Those models look amazing and as a newcomer to the world of props and replicas im hoping my modelling skills will reach the standard of the ones on show here, my particular favourite is the space shuttle discovery, i like space and that is a great model i payed a great deal of money for a model like that but bigger so that really is a good build. Well done everyone and good luck on future models.

Thanks, Jay :cool

If you're really interested, look for some of the posts from JMChladek. Jay is the resident shuttle expert, on this forum and others. He does truly incredible work.

-Fred

Yup, speaking of shuttles, I have resumed work on a Revell 1/144 shuttle stack. It is intended as a retirement gift for a former pilot of the thing. But I am working on something else right this minute since his retirement ceremony has been delayed. Still, I plan to have it done before the end of November.

So I guess this project is dead?

Any interest in keeping it alive, or should I ask Art to un-sticky this thing and let it die?

-Fred

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back