Ghostbusters Proton Pack WIP (All done!)

Crix

I'm mostly a lurker around these parts, but I figured I might as well put my work up against some real scrutiny. Basically, a friend of mine and I are in the process of building five proton packs for our local group of costuming nerds. We're working with MDF, and building them to plans found HERE.

I'm working on engineering lights/sound via Arduino, and with a month and change left before our major local convention, time is definitely getting the best of us. The majority of the difficult to build parts are done though, so from here on out it ought to be smooth sailing.

Build album HERE.

gunmount04.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Ghostbusters Proton Pack WIP

Five at once! Excellent. I am working on my first one now as well. Got some lense plastic from you recently I believe.

Keep us posted and I will throw my work on the screen as I get it going.

Cheers

Sebastian

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, Lots and lots has happened, I've just been so slammed I haven't posted anything! (I've missed lots of pictures too, sorry!)

We're currently missing completion on:

-Sync Gen side walls
-Cyclotron
-Bumper
-Gun bodies
-a few of the easier ribs on the gearbox

Other than that, we're nearing completion. The goal this weekend is to hit the main body of the pack with its first coat of primer. I'll update with some pictures over the weekend sometime, but for now:

Laser cut stencils for bumper segments, these will be cut out on a router table with two sided tape holding the stencil to MDF while a flush bit with a ball bearing does all the work. A bit overkill, but I'd rather not make five bumpers by hand, honestly. (Thanks John for the profiles on these!)

040210085841.jpg

hga1.jpg

EDIT:

Awful picture I'll replace this evening or something:

pack01.jpg

031510194504.jpg

I wish I had the sync generator top laser cut, but what's done is done.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The GB1 ribbon cables were bought finished from a guy over on Proptopia.

I didn't take any pictures, but tonight was spent taking care of some spot bondoing on the guns, and primer/silvering on the misc. parts of the packs. The current goal is to have everything painted to completion tomorrow, and have Thursday for final assembly. Friday is a big 80's party hosted by the city of Ft. Collins.

Wish us luck! :lol

This is off topic, but if that french bulldog in your avatar is your dog, I have to say that Stay Puft costume is the cutest, most awesome dog outfit I have ever seen. Did you make that or buy it? (I have two boston terriers, myself.)

This is off topic, but if that french bulldog in your avatar is your dog, I have to say that Stay Puft costume is the cutest, most awesome dog outfit I have ever seen. Did you make that or buy it? (I have two boston terriers, myself.)

Unfortunately, it's not my dog. I found the picture online and thought it was hilarious. :)

This thread is inspiring me to start on my own ghostbusters backpack. Your scratchbuilt wood/MDF/acrylic build looks fantastic.

--Brian

WOW! I am always blown away by the GB guys and their packs.... as a kid I thought I could really make one someday with lasers... (dork!)

Wow, in Ft. Collins? I need to load up my packs and stay puft - I will be in the area then.

Haha! You really should! We'll be debuting the girlbusters there and hanging out with some of the Mando Mercs. It's gonna be a blast!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back