Thickening a Latex Mask with More Latex?

Skaught

Sr Member
I just received an unpainted latex Bossk mask. It's a bit thin, at least in comparison with the latex Zuckuss mask I have that stands up on it's own. I'll probably only use it for display, so I was thinking about how I could thicken it up, for durability and so that it won't dent inward quite so easily. Could I just pour liquid latex inside and slush it around until it dries?

Scott

What I've done in the past is kinda like Paper mache, use paper towels dipped in latex and lay it inside to thicken it up. It'll save alot of latex. One tip is to wipe down the inside with lemon juice before laying in the new stuff. It will open the pores in the latex so the new latex can adhere properly..

Foam filling can go bad easily and distort the shape of the mask,

for foam filling the mask realy needs to be in the mould so as not to distort it. also this can happen if using a diffrent latex to thicken the mask due to shrinkage rates.

What I've done in the past is kinda like Paper mache, use paper towels dipped in latex and lay it inside to thicken it up. It'll save alot of latex. One tip is to wipe down the inside with lemon juice before laying in the new stuff. It will open the pores in the latex so the new latex can adhere properly..

Foam filling can go bad easily and distort the shape of the mask,

Yep, good advice. I have done the same, but instead of paper towels, I use medical gauze bandages. This is better than foam filling in case you do want to wear the mask someday.

Yeah, I may want to wear it if I end up doign a nice job with it.

I like the idea of bandages. I may be able to close the mouth a bit more using those, too, as right now it hangs open too much.

Thanks!

Scott

T-shirts, gauze, paper towel all work nicely, but whatever you do, after it dries, dust it inside with baby powder... dry fresh latex will stick to itself like rubber cement. Dusting it will prevent this from happening.

Yeah, I may want to wear it if I end up doign a nice job with it.

I like the idea of bandages. I may be able to close the mouth a bit more using those, too, as right now it hangs open too much.

Thanks!

Scott

BTW, whose Bossk mask do you have? Mine from Chris Murray is really thick latex, and very high quality.

When I made the talons for Bossk's feet, I put layers of gauze bandage in the latex, because they get a lot of abuse going up stairs and such. They are hold up very, and you can paint more latex in places where tere is visible wear. The natural yellow color of the dried latex actually looks pretty good for the claws.

Last edited:
We use latex to build up ours and pieces of 'pantyhose' nylon imbedded on the inside with latex to reinforce the weak areas that will get the most wear.

I don't know who made it. It's not the best mask in the world, but the price was only $68. Unpainted, thin and a few flaws here and there. I've already painted it a decent base coat and it looks much better now.

Here is a pic of it before painting:
bossk_raw.jpg

The mouth hung open too much, but with adding fabric soaked strips of latex I was able to bring it up more. I did thickened a the front and mouth and let that dry. I can really feel the difference already. But boy...I'm going to have to find an old long sleeve shirt! I had latex in my arm hair and OUCH! I ended up just cutting it off with scissors!

Scott

I finished adding the strips of latex-soaked fabric last night and that really did the trick. Unfortunately, since the fabric doesn't stretch, I don't think I'll be able to put this thing on my head short of cutting a slit in the back. I didn't think about that! I doubt this is something I'll ever get to, though (a full costume), so I'm not worried about it.

I finished painting it last night, too. I checked it out this morning and I was very happy with the outcome. Overall I gave it a mustard yellow color with a slight brown direction. I used watered down paint, so when sponged on it dried unevenly giving a more natural "skin" tone look. Then I used the same color with some green added and used this in the grooves between the scales, blending it in. I would dry sponge this in other areas too. Then a little orange added for some other areas. It's all blended nicely. As soon as I paint the teeth and finish the eyes, I'll post pics.

I wrapped my arms in plastic wrap, which saved my arm hair this time around!

Scott

Good tips here. Im currently sculpting a Bossk Mask, but plan to use burlap to thicken it up. Im going to do the first detail slush, then add burlap soaked in latex, then slush again. I might have to add another layer of burlap, but I wont know till I try it out.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back