Punisher 1989 Props - Skull Daggers!

Re: Punisher 1989 Props - Dagger and Pistol

I just image searched Leather Leggings on Google I think.

They are also called "Gaiters". Lots of them on ebay and military surplus sites if I remember correctly.

Nick

Thanks for the tip. I'm putting together a film of my own and honestly I'm stealing these boot designs for my main character.

I have wanted that dagger since i was a kid...but havent had any luck finding it. :(

Anybody turn up something?

I wish. I think I'll just hand make a Punisher dagger one day.

Good excuse to finally learn how to work with steel.

Also a cool pic I found the other day of Dolph with a Thompson.
T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcTLWBQNf6W14kg60_57.jpg

Nick

Last edited:
Re: Punisher 1989 Props - Dolph 4 Evah!

yea im a big Dolph Punisher fan myself, this movie was great. I'm starting a collection of film knives and this (life-long) search for the dagger continues :/

I think I will talk to a local bladesmith and see what he thinks. I've only met him once so I'm not sure if he fabricates or mostly just assembles stock. I would like to have something for him to go on though...specs like measurements, assembly, etc.

The skull and grip appear like they could be one piece, the guard and blade two separate pieces = making three all. Does that seem right? This is my first so... :/

Let me see if I can make some time and work up some quick blueprints in the next couple days and we can possibly figure out some rough measurements.

I was really hoping that it was based on some pre-existing knife and the silver skull was the only custom part.

punisher-1989-props-dolph-4-evah-vlcsnap-2010-03-01-02h30m57s65.jpg-110516d1346269349

Doing a bit off knife research lately for another project I came across the history and development of the British commando knife from WWII and thought it featured a strong resemblance to the Punisher dagger.

Here are 3 different styles of the military knife-
i_fs_01.jpg

Main difference for being the base knife is that the handles are round.

Nick

Last edited:

WOW these things are a lot longer than I thought they were! (see attached)

I apologize in advance for my poor MS Paint skillz. All my Shooping software is on my other computer

a little OT but just saw this and thought it was cool for DL fans
5219503_460s.jpg

check out kestrel daggers as a base for this knife or perhaps a fixed blade stiletto

LOVED the 89 film, the Jane version was terrible. I hope you find the base knife, I'd live to pick one up myself and add the skull.

Well, spent two days looking at daggers...I figure I've seen just about every dagger ever posted online. I learned that a true stiletto is a fixed blade knife and ebay will shut you down after viewing the 10,000th result of a search. :behave

Oh, and that every piece of this dagger is either so far out of production that none can be found anywhere or its an entirely custom prop for the film. So I guess my next step is talk to my knife guy on Monday, see what he thinks.

OH and one more thing...

(that reminds me of Columbo)

I took a closer look at this cap, the seams are revealing, yes? One side of the handle has the front of the skull, the other side the back. So I count 4 pieces total.

Closest base knife I've found is a russian/soviet army dagger :/ Just remembered Monday is a holiday. Guess I'll wit until Tuesday :facepalm

I have been interested in this knife since the original movie premiered. I had almost all but forgot about it until this thread came up again.

I am going to bet this was a custom job for production, perhaps using a commercially available kit which is no longer offered, or one which the blade was further ground down to achieve the unique taper and permit knives with varying degress of sharpness as well as balance for the throwing scenes.

Here is one possibility for the base blade, although it may be too wide and not taper as much, still it would make for an impressive knife with the length close to what can be seen in the above images.

Serious Dagger - Hidden Tang - Blade

Regardless, this is the style of blade blank needed to build this knife. Slide on the guard, add epoxy, followed by the handle, then screw down the skull pommel with a dab of loctite. Here is a slightly smaller blade possibility:

World Knives: Linder Special Dagger Blade Blank - Nr. 622015

I have never come across a guard which is angled like the movie knife, so it would need to be custom (just like the skull pommel) and have a recessed cavity to accept the base of the blade for a tight fit.

The handle most likely is a solid cast with the center drilled to accept the hidden tang. Possibly some type of phenolic resin like G-10 molded with the textured grip. This is very popular for many types of knife handles.

Yet, if a functioning knife is not necessary, a cold cast resin with metal powders can produce a very nice display or carefully handled cosplay knife. When I am through with some of my current projects I may just have to give this a try.

If someone does attempt to tackle a functioning blade with a cast skull, I would be interested in more than one knife if the price is right.

i guess ill chime in, ive been working with the original dagger maker John Bowring and hes helping me make a completed version.. i have one that ive made already... not bad but hes supposes to walk me through how he did it!
let me post a few pics of what i made already

You've gotta be kidding me!?!?

Info from the original knife maker!

How cool is that!?!

I love when a super obscure prop thread results in such awesome results!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back