Punisher 1989 Props - Skull Daggers!

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just rewatched this movie for the first time since I was a kid and totally fell in love with it again.

In the film the Punisher carries skull tipped daggers that he skewers Mafia and Yakuza guys with and the knives also act as his "calling card" throughout the film. He carries 2 in his boots and one on his chest sheath.

By chance does anybody have any info on these knives? Are they a modified factory made knives or totally custom jobs for the film? I'm not a knife expert so any info from knife geeks would be great.

There is practically no information out there on this surprisingly fun action movie.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks

Nick

Last edited:
Re: Punisher 1989 Props - Dagger and Pistol

Oh yeah, this pistol befuddles me as well.

Is this thing real?

attachment.php

Nick

Last edited:

The base pistol looks to be a Desert Eagle.

The front part may have been customed just for the movie, it looks a little rough or maybe its just a trick of my eyes.

It looks silly in that pic but on screen it looks great for some reason.

Just hoping someone knows something about that dang dagger.

Nick

this punisher movie was so goofy, i dont know why thomas jane's was considered such a big joke.

dolf lundgren hung out sweaty dirty and naked in the sewers.

Yeah, the new one was 1000x better IMO. The knife with skull on the end may look cool in the comics but dunno if I like that cheeziness on screen for a serious character like this. Interesting gun too! lol

I rewatched all three of the punisher flicks recently and I've got ot say that the89 one was the best adaptation. Dolph's Punisher was truly a loner on a vigilante killing spree. The others try too hard to "humanize" the character and loose focus of what the Punisher is basically about. His actor informant is the only weak part of the whole movie for me. It's got Mafia stuff, Yakuza stuff, huge body count, well choreagraphed action sequences and bold set design.

Tom Jane's Punisher tries to tell a crappy version of the origin story and then tells the "welcome back frank" story and fails to do either. "Welcome back Frank" is a postmodern Punisher story. It's what happens when you read twenty years of punisher comics and you want to see him in a weird scenario that is very "un-punisher". It's funny and cool for comic folks but not what you put in front of a mainstream audience. It's also just a boring movie.

War Zone is just Frank feeling bad about accidentilly killing an undercover agent and tries to quit. There is some cool stuff but it just doesn't have the drive of a good action flick.

Give Pnisher 89' a second try and I'm sure be surprised. It kinda has the feel of Robocop with leather.

Nick

war zone didnt happen.

Yeah I think there was future sequel potential for Punisher movies until War Zone came around. Maybe marvel Studios could do something fun. People seem to forget that Punisher didn't start as the Garth Ennis character. He started as someone with a big gun in the Spider-Man universe.

And I'm not trying to insult the OP but I seriously had no idea anyone takes the 1989 movie as a serious action film. Nostalgia for some maybe, but overall I thought the main appeal of the movie was, like much of Dolph Lundgren's resume, the cheese-factor.

Last edited:

I'd love one of those daggers. I remember loving & hating that film so much back when it came out. Think I first discovered the Punisher back in like '85 in Amazing Spider-man and became an instant fan.
I actually enjoyed War Zone. T'was most like the comic books in my opinion - unrealistic, campy & uber-violent.

That knife is sweet! It would make a great throwing knife!

I'll try and find out what it is.

FB

People seem to forget that Punisher didn't start as the Frank Miller character. He started as someone with a big gun in the Spider-Man universe.

I think the only time Frank Miller did any Punisher work is a small one-shot with Daredevil. Do you mean someone other than Miller, or has he done something with the Punisher that I'm not familiar with?

Although seeing Miller go all 'Dark Knight Returns' with Frank Castle would be pretty killer, no pun intended... :)

I think the only time Frank Miller did any Punisher work is a small one-shot with Daredevil. Do you mean someone other than Miller, or has he done something with the Punisher that I'm not familiar with?

Although seeing Miller go all 'Dark Knight Returns' with Frank Castle would be pretty killer, no pun intended... :)

Oops, I've done that before prob because his name is FRANK Castle. Changed my other post. Thanks.

As far as an action movie I loved it, comic movie not so much but it was pretty good. I'd love to have one of those daggers.

The Punisher would work a lot better as a TV series on HBO or one of those than a movie.

And I'm not trying to insult the OP but I seriously had no idea anyone takes the 1989 movie as a serious action film. Nostalgia for some maybe, but overall I thought the main appeal of the movie was, like much of Dolph Lundgren's resume, the cheese-factor.

I was just as surprised as you upon rewatching it a couple months ago. I was expecting a total cheese fest but came out completely blown away with a solid action movie.

As a comics kid it infuriated me that they didn't have the skull, micro, and the cool villains but now as an adult I can just see it as great 80's style action movie. Dolph's punisher is surprisingly good. He gets the character's drive and darkness the best of all three.

Of all my "guilty pleasure" movies this one isn't that guilty! :)

Nick

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back