Punisher 1989 Props - Skull Daggers!

Same here.

Took some better screencaps of the film showing more of the costume in order to help me narrow down a lot of a good amount of insight and layout on how to make the costume. I've decided to start with the boots and suspender rig that's attached to his pant's and the kidney belt.

Stumbled upon these earlier and thought they looked very similar to Dolph's boots, though I still don't believe I have found the actual ones used yet.

I agree. About the closest ones yet in terms of the buckle pattern and overall design. The sole thickness on Dolph's boots still has me puzzled, but I'm pretty happy with these and think I'm going to go ahead and snag them so I can begin having a pair of leather gaiter's sized and made to cover them and then start fabricating the metal tabs for the soles.

Also Dolph's harness he wears is actually a pair of leather Austrian military suspenders. Practically identical, if they weren't used they were no doubt modeled after them and customized for the knife holster.

Cleaning up the knife skull and had the handle cut on a lathe
null_zpsf69131cb.jpg
[/IMG]
null_zpsa14a5cd8.jpg

Good progress!

I'm away from my office for the next few days otherwise I'd do a photoshop side by side for you. I've always found that to be the easiest way to catch discrepancies.

I remember a dood putting together a Lundgren costume and all the crazy research they did.
From what I recall the budget was "meh" and the prop guys just got a British dagger (think the one Sam Fisher used in the first game) boot dagger?? And glued skull valve caps for a car onto the tip and cast them in resin and rubber for various scenes. You can almost tell its a plastic prop in some scenes (weight).
Far as the gun goes its a desert eagle with a heat shield from some Russian machine gun. That's all I can really remember. Wish I knew where I read about it... Was back in the day when I was researching Janes car when the Thomas Jane Punisher hit theaters.

- - - Updated - - -

PS his boots are insanely badass... Almost rival Snake Plissken

Re: Punisher 1989 Props - Dagger and Pistol

The producers for the '89 film were also complaining about "Dolph's "look" and suggested that he should get a tan. :rolleyes All of the Punisher films have some good moments, but they haven't got it right yet. A few suggestions for the next one. The Punisher belongs in NYC, not Tampa of Sydney, pretending to be NYC. Film the movie in NYC. He needs a Battlevan. In War Zone, he just walked around out in the open, in costume. Italian mobsters make the best bad guys for the Punisher, so maybe try that again. I like the Micro character, just not the one portrayed in War Zone. Try it again.
Yah - but Dolph /is/ Nordic (Swede, I think.) He was also in the Royal Marines for whichever country - and he holds an MS in Chemical Engineering (go figure. Has a Black Belt in something-or-other as well, I think.) Probably why I enjoy him as an actor - because he's got a history of working for a living, and wasn't an actor all his life (cf: Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Sean Connery, /et/ /al/.) Problem with Nordic people is they don't "darken" well - my wife is Swede/German/Irish, and she may be a "dirty blonde," but she won't darken well (best she can manage is "a bit ruddy" if she gets enough sun.) Me? I'm a dark Scot - dark brown hair, and I tend to turn olive in the Sun before I tan (which gave me help in "passing" just about anywhere - in addition to speaking most Mediterranean languages. Helpful!) As far as the knife? While I'm not overly familiar with blades, I do think the Faribairn-Sykes Commando Dagger would be a good start. Perhaps regrind and straighten the sides a bit, reduce the finger guard, and putting the skull pommel on would probably make a nice counterweight for throwing balance...

Looking good! Definitely headed in the right direction!

One note though, I think the "face" of the skull should be parallel to the handle and not slope back in.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back