Rub and Buff Help

Droidboy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So i've got a project I want to use Rub n' Buff on, but I've never had the success with it that I think I should and I wanted an expert opinion on how to use it.

My big questions are how do you prepare the surface? Do you put a base coat of primer or something down? And once it is on, do you seal it?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Gregg

I've definitely found that if the surface is too smooth, you'd just end up smearing the rub'n'buff around as it won't stick and it makes a mess of things. If you want a uniform finish, you should likely prime the piece first.

Also, I think most sealers will destroy the metal finish and make things dull. Though, have heard someone use future floor wax as a sealer and keeping the metallic shine to the piece, and seeing that rub'n'buff is a wax product as well, it may work well together. I'm looking into whether I can get the guy to post examples and give a tutorial on how he painted it, but if I got the gist of it right, he first misted it and then gave a normal coat of clear to seal things - apparently, the misting was to preserve the metal look.

I agree, if the surface is too smooth it will be hard for it to adhear, but I'm talking crazy smooth, I've used it alot on project and works great on most surfaces, I usually use a q-tip or just my finger to apply, and yes, any coat you put on it will mess it up, but the future wax is a cool idea

I tried it on injection molded plastic and that was too smooth. I've also tried it on resin - that was better to work with, but still smeared off when trying to get a shine going by rubbing the rub'n'buff. So basically (even though it works for the kit I used it for that things weren't uniform) I'd say my success with applying this product is pretty low.

I'm definitely gonna prime the next piece I'll use it on.

If you say what the surface is, it'd be easier to suggest how to prepare it.

I used it on bare metal once. Fantastic.

I also used it on a huge wood picture frame. I did prime that, but mostly so I'd have the foundation to get the color I wanted. Also great results.

I didn't seal either piece, and they've held up well. The company says you shouldn't need any sort of finishing spray, and so far that's worked fine for me.

How does it retain the metal shine after a while? I've found that my applications dull rather quickly. Though... could be because I didn't prep the piece properly prior to application?

The biggest problem I've had on using it over a primer or paint, is that it pulls the paint up.

I want to this Gozer door with Rub n Buff, but I only want to do it once!

Gregg

Ah. I'm considering rub'n'buff for mine as well.

That sounds like you are using the wrong kind of primer. Use one that is specific for plastic surfaces.

Okay, first of all you want an incredibly smooth primered surface. You need to wetsand several coats of primer with 1000 grit sandpaper, until its very smooth. The next step is to apply the rub n buff extremely thin. Like only a tiny tiny bit. Don't goop it up in one spot or it won't work properly. Then buff it super hard with the palm of your hand until your hand burns. Keep doing this until the whole surface is covered. Do multiple coats until its relatively even. Then you can take a very soft cloth and buff it until its even and all excess comes off. You shouldn't need a clear coat and most clear coats will dull the finish. Here's an example of my rub n buff work (I actually dull it down with 0000 steel wool after getting to this point, but that's part of the look for Jango)

2507187326_7b0144346e_b.jpg

That's good and nice for large smooth surfaces, but have you tried it on textured surfaces and small details? All I've found is that it smears off rather quickly and exposes the bottom layer pretty fast - basically rubbing the rub'n'buff off.

I used it fine on my sword for my dred pirate roberts costume. Again, it goes down to surface prep. If its primered then the rub n buff should stick fine.

406649132791ecd9067co.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't find the Rub n Buff I needed, so I'm going to try my hand at painting this, but I've been needing to know how to use it anyhow, so thanks for all the tips and pics guys. I love learning new things.

Gregg

I think it all depends on what your trying to accomplish. I use rub-n-buff for rocketeer helmets but I want the finish dulled down so I intentionally use a clear coat on top of it. It works for my purposes anyway...
002.jpg

Well, like I said earlier, I didn't use Rub n Buff, but here is how it turned out with a little paint. I'll post some other pics in the for sale thread.

P1050483.jpg

Gregg

VERY nice R&B work!

-Rylo

Okay, first of all you want an incredibly smooth primered surface. You need to wetsand several coats of primer with 1000 grit sandpaper, until its very smooth. The next step is to apply the rub n buff extremely thin. Like only a tiny tiny bit. Don't goop it up in one spot or it won't work properly. Then buff it super hard with the palm of your hand until your hand burns. Keep doing this until the whole surface is covered. Do multiple coats until its relatively even. Then you can take a very soft cloth and buff it until its even and all excess comes off. You shouldn't need a clear coat and most clear coats will dull the finish. Here's an example of my rub n buff work (I actually dull it down with 0000 steel wool after getting to this point, but that's part of the look for Jango)

2507187326_7b0144346e_b.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back