Giant Robot/Johnny Sokko costume help

Riceball

Master Member
Something that I've been toying with trying to make is a Unicorn costume from the old Johnny Sokko/Giant Robot series from way back when. I've managed to grab some screen caps from Hulu and have pretty every useful image I could find online and I think I got enough info to put it together except for the helmet. Specifically, anyone have any idea where to find a bubble face mask like the ones they use and does anyone have a good pic of the greeblies on the side of the helmets? I've looked online for bubble face masks/visors but no one seems to carry the exact style like that anymore at least none that don't snap on, seems like big bubble facemasks that swivel are no longer popular or maybe they're no longer street legal; in any case if I can't find one does anyone know of anyone who could make one and about how much that would run me?

Thanks in advance.

Unicorn5.jpg

Unicorn2.jpg

Last edited:
After doing a little more research on this it looks like nobody makes a flip up bubble face shield at least none that attach directly to the helmet. I found one that attaches to a visor but the shapes wrong, it's not long enough on the sides; I found another one on a snowmobile helmet that was almost the right shape except that it had a bit of a ledge on top before it rounded out to a bubble. Hopefully I can find the right face shield eventually since I'd love to make this costume; it's pretty old and a bit obscure now but that's the appeal to me, to see who recognizes it. I don't suppose there's anyone here who can make these face shields is there?

Just cruising back over the boards looking for interesting Ideas and hit this thread.

Did you ever get the outfit done? And also wondering if anyone has tried a Giant Robot costume?

Missed this one the first time around. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched "Voyage Into Space."

I would LOVE to see someone do a Unicorn uniform. Heck, I'd settle for one of the Gargoyle Gang.

"That U-7 is a pain in the neck. I never know when he's alive!"

Just cruising back over the boards looking for interesting Ideas and hit this thread.

Did you ever get the outfit done? And also wondering if anyone has tried a Giant Robot costume?

No, I've never even started this costume mainlybecause I can't find the right bubble visor for the helmet. Of course I could attempt the base costume without the helmet but I like the idea of having the helmet, it kind of helps sell the helmet to me. I have a friend who is building a vacform table so maybe I'll eventually try to sculpt a visor and vacform it, of course I'll have to find the mounting hardware to go with it too but that shouldn't be too hard since I can just simply cannibalize it from another visor.

I have been wanting to make a suit, but not sure what to use so it won't look so cheap. I had made a mistake of not bidding on a Giant Robot rubber mask years ago on ebay, now I can't find one.

Since the original Giant Robo was just a guy in a suit it shouldn't be too hard to recreate, it's certainly doable since it was done once before and before the days of CNC or Pep, or any other advanced methods. You could probably make it all out of foam for light weight and flexibility and it probably would be pretty true to how the original costume was made.

Back to the original topic at hand, I was thinking about this again a bit last night and I think I've figured out a method of creating my own visor/face shield if I do decide to actually go through with this project. My idea would be to buy the the roundest and most bubble shaped visor that I can find and use that as a starting point and use a cast of it and make it wider on the sides by sculpting it, once that's done I can make a casting to vacform off of. My only concern would whether or not vacforming would allow for a perfectly clear visor that I can see through without distortions, but then again even if it doesn't come out perfectly I could always wear the helmet with the visor up.

Found this old thread .... hey, Bell Helmets is now selling a Bell Bullitt helmet that is pushing the retro. It is full-face so not a Sokko match, but the optional bubble shield they sell might be a dead-ringer for Johnny's. You'd have to find an open-face helmet and a means to attach the bubble shield. But it looks like the time for Unicorn to rise is upon us.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back