Looking for a Indy Fedora.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
It doesn't have to be extremely high quality, it just needs to look a lot like it or at least easy to mod. Anything like this out there?

Last edited:
Re: Looking for a cheap but believable Indy Fedora.

I got a Burlington Coat Factory fedora for about $15 awhile back that was pretty decent I thought. :cool

Just the hat. There's no photo of me wearing it, for uh... security reasons.

dsc02972i.jpg

You might also go to the Fedora Lounge board, there'll be a lot of info over there.

How cheap is cheap?

If you can go $100-$120, there's several hats that fit the bill. The Downtowner from Todd's Costumes, Christy's Adventurer, Akubra Federation IV, etc.

Thanks phase pistol! That hat looks great! I don't think I have a Burlington Coat Factory around here?

Jlee: Honestly looking for something under 100 dollars. It's not really for a Indiana Jones costume but it needs to look like his hat. I've heard of people buying hats and bashing them themselves? I don't mind modding something myself.

The only ones you're going to find are the Dorfman hats and they are crap. Cheap and believable is a contradiction when it comes to Indy hats.:eek

Just the hat. There's no photo of me wearing it, for uh... security reasons.

dsc02972i.jpg

You might also go to the Fedora Lounge board, there'll be a lot of info over there.

Phase Pistol, I got that same hat (or one so similar it's a twin) from Sears for about $19 a few years back. I re-bashed it over a pot of hot water. After I got my Fed IV Deluxe I gave the Sears hat to my dad who loves it.

Egon, look around your local mall clothing stores with departments that sell suits, shirts, and ties. You may not find 'cheap' at a real suit clothier that also sells hats, but the mall stores may have something you're looking for. Like Sears, Nordstroms, JC Penny, or what ever they are called in your area.

The only ones you're going to find are the Dorfman hats and they are crap. Cheap and believable is a contradiction when it comes to Indy hats.:eek

Just looked at some pics of those. They seem close enough for what I'll be using it for. I do know that often images of products don't look the same when you get them as they do when you see a photo promoting them. Is there a place I can see the Dorfman hats being worn in non promotional images?

I actually got a really decent one from a Cracker Barrel restaurant for $20. I can't remember who made it, though. I'll get back to you on that.

Interesting. I have a licensed "Indy" hat which looks almost nothing like the SA one. It's leather with a wire insert in the rim to shape. However, most people can't tell the difference.
So few people were fedoras, they will get the idea. I am a costumer, not a collector, so take my advice with a grain of the sand from the bag of sand you filled outside the tomb:rolleyes

Just looked at some pics of those. They seem close enough for what I'll be using it for. I do know that often images of products don't look the same when you get them as they do when you see a photo promoting them. Is there a place I can see the Dorfman hats being worn in non promotional images?

Don't get a Dorfman. If you can live with a wool felt, I would say:
http://themovieshop.com/Indiana-Jones-Style-Hat-Adventurer-Wool-Felt-Fedora-Hat

It's open crown, so you can bash it yourself. It's apparently off the same block as the Christy's fur felt version.

I'm confused... the hat I linked to says: "Indiana Jones Authentic Hat" and "Outback hat by Lucasfilm"
I'm not an Indy costume expert, so I assumed that it was a match.

I have the Burlington one, it really looks good for $20. It says 'Harrison' inside the hat as the model style.

Some great links here. Just popping in to say thanks, since I was thinking of grabbing an Indy-like hat when I work up my Doctor Occult costume this summer. Figured I'd grab something I could eventually dual purpose. But I didn't want to spend some of the big bucks on the more 'authentic' Indy-wear.

I'm confused... the hat I linked to says: "Indiana Jones Authentic Hat" and "Outback hat by Lucasfilm"
I'm not an Indy costume expert, so I assumed that it was a match.

That hat is part of the line of hats produced by Dorman Pacific. They're mostly sold at the Disney parks but most hat stores stock them, as they're the officially licensed hats.

The problem is none of them are very accurate beyond being a brown fedora. With the hat you linked, it has a low teardrop crown, a very wide brim and looks like it has an underwelt. The screen hat had none of these features.

The Adventurer, produced by Christy's is basically the same hat as a modern Herbert Johnson Poet. They're made off the same block in the same factory. The difference is a few hundred bucks. The wool Adventurer that Rick and I linked is the wool felt version of that hat.

It's far more accurate than any of the licensed offerings. IMHO, it makes a darn good LC hat. My Christy's is shaped this way:

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back