Need Help with full body mold

bxstrmn

Hey everyone, I was in the process of trying to figure out how to do a full body mold of someone, to eventually cast in silicone. I will be casting a live model who will be nude, I imagine that is the easiest way, I have seen some stuff on different websites, but it usually just part of a person or the front. I am looking to do this while the person is standing, so the body is not effected by gravity while laying down. How much material would i need roughly, and cost estimates if anyone has already done it. any picks would be great. Thanks for the help. I can be more specific if needed.

i was trying to avoid mentioning the gender for that reason lol. but just in case i wasn't clear what i meant by gravity, is when you lay down your shoulders fall back, and your chest spreads apart, (more obvious on females of course, but even leg and arm muscles sag so it would look awkward when standing. Pics of the model will not be posted, at the request of the model:lol

will the model be standing?

I did a full body cast, and the added weight of the plaster badages and the time I had to stand took a PAINFULL toll on my feet. If I were to do it again, I would stand inside a frame that the plaster bandages would connect to, to support the weight of the plaster and take the weight off the feet.

Sometimes a stand that the model can hold onto helps- Smooth on and Accu-cast both have vids or pics of the process, I think Accu-cast also has a price/supply estimator.

Hey everyone, I was in the process of trying to figure out how to do a full body mold of someone, to eventually cast in silicone. I will be casting a live model who will be nude, I imagine that is the easiest way, I have seen some stuff on different websites, but it usually just part of a person or the front. I am looking to do this while the person is standing, so the body is not effected by gravity while laying down. How much material would i need roughly, and cost estimates if anyone has already done it. any picks would be great. Thanks for the help. I can be more specific if needed.

You need to goto

http://www.smooth-on.com/Lifecasting/c1240/index.html

They have a great dvd showing how to do just what you are asking and smooth-on also has a price/supply estimator.

Hope this helps

How much surface detail are you looking at captureing of your subject? Can you get away with using raw plaster bandages against the skin, or do you need to use alginate or body silicone to capture as much skin and pore detail as possible?

Clonesix's idea of a frame is a solid one. Pre assemble a support frame to help keep the final outer mold rigid and in place, or you might have warping occur as you remove the mold form the model. Remmeber that the palster bandages might take 10 hours to solidify fully, especially if you do this in humid conditions (i.e southeastern states)

You can greatly speed up your mothermold time by wetting 8 layers of plaster bandage at once and applying that for your mother jacket. I did layers of doubled up 6 inch wide bandages my first body cast and the process too me 2 hours to cast the model, which almost turned into a medical nightmare due to heat issues as the plaster bandages cured. Quading up the bandages the next time drove the time down to 45 minutes. Which was much appreciated by the model.

I have a basic full bodycast tutorial on my howto site. It's a little old, but has some good tips. http://studiocreations.com/howto/bodycast

What ever material you end up using, do a small test on your model to make sure they won't have any reaction to what you're using.

i would get a hold of the dvd ultimate kifecasting by mark alfrey. covers everything you need to know and takes all the guesswork out. very reccomended.

I hope you don't plan on taking on this job by yourself, a full-body cast is too much work for someone who has not done it before, it would also speed up the process if you had help.

It might be a good idea to post the area you live in (Or just the State) and search in that area for someone with prior experience.

For what you want to do, I highly suggest Body-double or another Skin-safe Silicone Molding material (there are a few to choose from), not only can you avoid the problems of gravity on the subject but you will have a permanent mold that you can cast right out of once you remove the Model/subject.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back