BSG: Finally Found an Octagonal Frame...

bobatrek

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It was $3.99, cheap plastic gold, and at Good Will. A little paint and a cool pic will do wonders.

beforethefall.jpg

BTW it is 14" x 22" in size.

Now I just need one that's 8" x 10"...

-Sean

I made a couple octagon frames a while back, but it was not very cost/time effective so I just kept it for my own use and never offer it to people.

Nice find on that frame! And the price is a big plus!

I've been looking at frame stuff forever to try to replicate Lee's farewell gift since I lost out on both during the auctions. *sigh* I just can't find a frame close enough.

I talked to a few framing shops in my area and they refused to make octagon frames so I blew a weekend and here is what I came up with.

1. Buy some scrap frame from the local art shop.

2. Buy a cheap $20 miter saw/box from Home Depot (similar to http://lh6.ggpht.com/_tRRexsLP5EI/S4Xck1Gx2CI/AAAAAAAAA_k/AbpmL7eSSg8/s640/Octagon frame 1.JPG

3. Buy a framing strap/band for $20 or so - similar to http://cgi.ebay.com/MULTI-ANGLE-PIC...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a53797ece

4. Buy thin Plexiglas and Plexiglas cutter (or glass if you have the skills).

5. Cut all the wood at a 22.5 degree angle. EXACT cuts are a must.

6. Sand. assemble, and glue.

7. Wrap the band around the frame, tighten band, wipe off excess glue, and wait.

8. For extra stability, I used a staple gun at all the seams.

9. Cut Plexiglas to size.

I've made several to date that have better seams than most of the stuff you see on BSG. One example:

Octagon%20frame%201.JPG

I'm a custom picture framer, been doing it for 10 years and yes, most frame shops will not/cannot do octagonal frames.
The reason being, our saw is a massive beast that only cuts 45's. It can't be made to do anything else, it's a dedicated 45 degree saw.
Our vices are also dedicated right angle vices.
Of course some frame shops use chop saws and may have adjustable angle vices but the labor is very costly.
Your best bet is to look for ready made octagonals or if your handy, try your hand at making one! It can be fun.

I'm a custom picture framer, been doing it for 10 years and yes, most frame shops will not/cannot do octagonal frames.
The reason being, our saw is a massive beast that only cuts 45's. It can't be made to do anything else, it's a dedicated 45 degree saw.
Our vices are also dedicated right angle vices.
Of course some frame shops use chop saws and may have adjustable angle vices but the labor is very costly.
Your best bet is to look for ready made octagonals or if your handy, try your hand at making one! It can be fun.

Actually, it shouldn't be that hard to do 22.5 degree cuts even with a saw dedicated to 45 degrees. I assume that your saw has a fence that the wood rests against to make sure the cut is accurate. All you would need is to have someone cut you a secondary fence at 22.5 degrees, which would be clamped to the saw's normal fence. This would angle the piece that you are cutting 22.5 degrees so that the actual cut would end up being 22.5 degrees.

It should be just as easy have temporary 45 degree blocks placed in your dedicated right angle vices. Sure, it would take a couple of extra minutes to set it up this way. But it should work.

^They are. But there's two joints for each corner, so each piece of wood has to have it's edges cut at 45/2 = 22.5. It's the same reason the frame shops use 45 degree angle saws to make frames with 90 degree corners.

I thought all the "cut" edges on all the paper props and frames were at a 45 degree angle not 22.5. Was it all done on a 22.5?

The paper is cut to a 45 degree angle, but when making a frame, if you cut two pieces of wood at a 45 degree angle and butt the cut edges together, you get a 90 degree angle... 45 + 45 = 90. If you cut two pieces of wood at 22.5 and butt those edges together, you get a 45 degree angle.

Okay, found mine but forgot to take a picture.

Here's mine, I haven't found a glass / acrylic cover for it but it still looks pretty good eh?

kevin%20frame.jpg

I went by Hobby Lobby and they wouldn't sell me any framing or give me any scraps. :(

You may want to try Michaels. I went there the other day and they had some DIY framing material (only enough for one frame), it being in the bargain bin because it was a return/opened item. They may have more of it there.

Worse case scenario, you can always buy some decorative trim from Home Depot and use that, or just make your own from wood you'd find in the Hobby section of Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back