LOTR Witch King War helmet - from scratch...WIP

ob1al

Sr Member
After finishing my Uruk Berserker helmet, I couldn't resist making a start on my next LOTR helmet project today, after a big family Sunday lunch and watching the footie.

My daughter and I found some old cardboard boxes and went to work.

Here's where we are at so far. This sucka is BIG man!

1002096a.jpg

Oh, the irony! Look, we made some of it from an Onion RINGS box! Gettit, RINGS! lol....

1002098s.jpg

1002100t.jpg

It's only just taking shape, but it's going to be really big and cool when I've finished - look at the size of that thing!

1002101o.jpg

More pics to come very soon....

Al

Thanks BB!

OK, the last pics for today.

I have modified the proportions a bit and started adding some of the detailing to the mask.

Remember, this is just a basic 'skeleton' frame to work on, all the real detail will be added later with resin, fiberglass, and so on.

1002106.jpg

1002108j.jpg

That's all for today, hope you all enjoy seeing the project come along.

Al

Thanks all for the encouragement.

OK, tonight I've hardened up the cardboard frame with some polyester resin:

1002113.jpg

I'm happy with the overall look and proportions, so the next step is bodyfiller to add the detail and really bring this build to life!

Al

I like this helmet design too, especially the evil-looking spikes (not on mine yet!).

Not much progress to report as I've been super busy today, but I did manage to get another good thick layer of resin on before work this morning and it's improved the look again, or at least smoothed things out a bit:

1002121b.jpg

Bodyfiller time next. Then spikes.

Al

Thanks.

I have a few hours spare today, so I've started the bodyfiller build-up.

Just when I got the helmet nice and smooth, now I have to mess it all up again with this gunk! But really, bodyfiller is great, so quick and easy to sand, I like working with it.

Here's a quick shot of the first bodyfiller layer going on:

1002147y.jpg

I'm using UPOL EXTRA polyester filler paste.

I'll build the shapes up layer by layer, then sand the entire surface down with a coarse grade paper. The original prop has a textured, hand-beaten and rough kind of finish, not all smooth and nice, which makes this job a LOT easier.

More pics later, gotta get back to it!

Al

The basis of the spikes - some 6" steel nails. These will make a solid base for the spikes and I'll sculpt over them with milliput to achieve the final shape..

1002148p.jpg

After an hour of sanding, I needed a break so I did a test fit on the nails...I'm pleased, they look badass!

1002150fa.jpg

1002151j.jpg

Now I have to get back to sanding...urg, my arm hurts!

Al

Cool build!
Quick question - at the top you mention fiberglass...are you going to be adding fiberglass, or did you just do the resin?

I originally intended to add fiberglass matt to strengthen the structure, particularly the large spike on top - but actually, the cardboard, 2 good coats of resin and bodyfiller turned out to be very strong, so I didn't need to use the matt.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back