U-Pol Fantastic Body Filler ?

TV8

Down under we have a pretty limited range of body filler from what I can gather. The major hardware chains don't stock it, the supplier of Bondo, 3M, advise that it is only sold out of one autopaint store in Sydney (and when I called the shop they didn't know what I was talking about...).

In the past I have used marine epoxy two-part sticks of resin. Once kneaded, they dry rock hard in about 59 seconds and are a pain to sand, but they do stick to plastic like Sh to a blanket.

I'm looking for something easier to apply and shape. I have had a look online and I can get a product by U-Pol called Fantastic Polyester Bodyfiller.
http://www.u-pol.com.au/msds-body-fillers.htm

Multifunction body filler that can be used for deep filling or finishing.
Excellent spreadability and super easy sanding properties.
Adheres directly to a variety of substrates including galvanised and some plastics.
Uses latest resin technology for a pinhole free very easy sanding product even after 24 hours.

The product page says it can adhere to some plastics. I want to mod a baseball helmet and later (months later) get back to my Rubies Vader Helmet. I think both those plastics are ABS but that is nothing more than a guess.

Has anyone had any experience with this product?

The Bondo brand may not be available there, but there must be local equivalent. The auto body repair industry must use something?

Polyester bodyfiller sounds right, that's basically what Bondo is.

yep same stuff mate
theres usually an easy sand option as well

I use the same stuff here in the UK
also known as Isopon

Its all polyester body filler.

Nate

Cheers. I think I will take a punt on U-Pol which is available at the local car bodyshop and paint supplier. I will report back on how it turns out. The "Fantastic" is meant to be top of the range for sand-ability and pin hole reduction...

Cheers. I think I will take a punt on U-Pol which is available at the local car bodyshop and paint supplier. I will report back on how it turns out. The "Fantastic" is meant to be top of the range for sand-ability and pin hole reduction...

friend of mine raves about u-pol , he prefers it over isopon p38 and reckons its a lot easier to sand. Basicaly any good brand polyester filler is OK , i have tried a few and they are all pretty similar.

I work at an automotive supply store,and we sell many Upol items.I have used them myself along side American made products,and quite frankly I perfer Upol! The fantastic putty would be used for minor dents and dings on a vechicle.So I would see no reason why it would not work for props.Not to mention it is an activated putty,Which is much better and higher quality,than regular (oldschool bondo) non activated putties. For really high strength applications Upol makes Fiberal.This stuff is choice!!! Matter of fact it seems to be the only putty that holds up to custom body molding like adding ground effects to a vechile,and making it appear to be all one piece (hopefully that makes since!).It looks like fiberglass strands mixed in with a fiberglass resin,to make a very durable (hard to sand!!) pastey putty,that is very strong when it dries. Another fine product I use all the time on vechicles,and prop building is called Dolphin glaze.This is a activated glazing putty that works great for filling pinholes,and other fine detail filling applications,that sands very easily! I know I probly sound like a comercial,but Upol really makes great stuff used everyday in the U.S. Hope the info helps!

So I got a 3 litre tub of U-Pol Fantastic Ultra Lite for AU$44. It is hands down the best sandable plastic I have ever seen. Highly recommended.
No pinholes, weighs almost nothing and spreads on like icing on a cake, and sets in 10 - 15 minutes. My Daft Punk Helmet is coming along nicely [although I think I will have to slice the whole face off and re-position it up the helmet a bit]
4772254373_1e40fa6a38.jpg

looks good tv8, i used u-pol for my iron man suit. it sticks to basically anything. as soon as you said you wanted to mod a baseball helmet daft punk popped straight into my mind. keep up the good word.

At first I thought the title of this thread was: "T'Pol, Fantastic body, firmer":lol :lol :lol
Then I read it again and I was like: Ahhhhhhhh... Ok:D But T'Pol still have a great body!:lol

Sorry for the hijack, feel free to continue your discussion about the body filler:)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back