Toht coathanger tutorial

Barnett College

TOHT COATHANGER TUTORIAL

4262975430_ed4ef1dcea_o.jpg

CHOOSING QUALITY MATERIALS FOR MAKING THIS PROJECT WILL GIVE YOU BETTER RESULTS. IF YOU CHOOSE MORE STURDY MATERIALS, SUCH AS METAL, DURABILITY AND LONGEVITY OF THE HANGER WILL BE BETTER THAN PLASTIC OR WOOD.

MATERIALS NEEDED:

1. - 2 hollow tubes of 25cm long, inner diameter 10mm, outer diameter 12mm.

2. - 2 hollow tubes of 20cm long, inner diameter 10mm, outer diameter 12mm.

3. - 1 hollow tube of 10cm long, inner diameter 12mm, outer diameter 14 to 15mm.

4. - 1 spring 35cm long, outer diameter 9mm.

5. - 2 springs 12cm long, outer diameter 9mm.

6. - 6 pieces of chain 2-3cm long (2 links) and 9 mm outer diameter. LINKS CLOSED.

7. - 2 pieces of chain 9cm long and 12-14 mm outer diameters. LINKS OPENED.

8. - 2 single links of 12-14 mm outer diameters. LINKS OPENED.

9. - 2 opened metal rings, outer diameter 2cm.

10. - 1 hanger hook.

4262216267_28907b29a9_o.jpg

Tools:

1. - Two tongs or pliers to open and close the chain links.

2. - A special glue for the material we are working with. In this case we’ll use a long life special epoxy adhesive for metals.

3. - One string or small wire to tense springs through the tubes.

4. - One ruler.

WALKTHROUGH:

Because glue requires a drying time, the first step will be to attach the smaller 10cm tube to one end of one of the 25cm tubes. We will apply the special adhesive around the outer edge of one of the 25cm long tubes. We will then insert it into the 10cm tube until it reaches 5cm inside of it.

4262216593_1224c037e5_o.jpg

We have a few minutes to correct the position of this tube. To know if we have reached the correct depth of 5cm into the 10cm tube, we will introduce the other tube of 25cm at the other side until both tubes of 25cm touch inside the 10cm tube. Using a ruler, we will ensure that the 10cm tube is exactly in the middle of the longer ones. The overall length of all three tubes should be roughly 50cm.

4262216821_74929da2a4_o.jpg

Once reaching the correct length, we will set these pieces aside to let them dry. We should pay special attention that the smaller tube only must be attached to one of the 25cm sections, leaving the other one completely free.

Using this waiting time required for drying the glued pieces, the next step will be to assemble the chains and springs.

We will first take all the springs and will make a gap at its ends, isolating three or four coils from the rest of the spring. We’ll use the tongs and pliers for this matter.

4262969246_b3aabbda68_o.jpg

Next we’ll attach all of the 2 link chains at 9mm in diameter at the ends of each spring. For this, we’ll follow the thread of the spring through one link, until we find the gap we previously created at the ends of the springs.

4262217875_c22fd36fbe_o.jpg

Now we’ll work on one of the 12cm springs with 2 links of chain at either ends. At one end of these chains we’ll attach a 12-14mm opened link and then close it. Next attach a 2cm open metal ring and also close it at this time.

4262215223_2bd9c64610_o.jpg

At the other end of the spring attach a string or wire to the end of the 2 links and thread it through one of the 20cm tubes until it appears out the other end.

4262970272_2d964e558d.jpg

Pull the string until the spring appears on the other side of the tube.

4262218487_513fcbf6da.jpg

At the end of the spring section where we had attached the string, crimp one 9 cm chain piece, 12-14 mm in diameter, to the end of 2 link chain already attached. We close this chain link and have completed this first spring/tube section.

4262970918_26e28a5f34_o.jpg

Let’s momentarily leave this spring/tube section and focus on the other spring of 12cm with 2 link chains attached at either ends.

At one end of this spring section, we’ll attach a 12-14mm opened link to the end of the 2 link chain and then close it. We’ll then attach a 2cm open metal ring to this, but before closing it, we’ll attach the hanger hook. Now close the 2cm metal ring.

4262971262_c7db19d35b_o.jpg

As had been done before with the previous spring/tube section, at the other end of the spring opposite the hanger hook, attach a string or wire to the end of the 2 links and thread it through one of the 20cm tubes until it appears out the other end. Pull the string until the spring appears on the other side of the tube. At the end of the spring section where we had attached the string, crimp one 9cm chain piece, 12-14mm in diameter, to the end of 2 link chain already attached. We close this chain link and have completed this second spring/tube section.

4262971526_0acc65a911_o.jpg

Now, on our work table we have two spring/tube completed sections (20cm tubes). At either end of both sections, hangs a piece of chain of equal length and dimension. Now we’ll work on these chain sections.

From this point, be certain that the 10cm tube is permanently attached to the end of the 25cm tube. If there is any doubt this is not completely dry and secure at this time, please wait. It will make for easier handling while completing the project and a sturdier end product once finished.

Take the end of the chain of one of the 20cm sections, no matter which one, and attach it at the ending chain of the 35cms spring. Then close the link.

4262972210_2519354313_o.jpg

At the other end of the spring, attach a string or wire to the end of the 2 links and thread it through both of the 25cm tubes coupled by the center 10 cm tube until it appears out the other end.

4262972694_e8b22224d2_o.jpg

Pull the string until the spring appears on the other side of the tube. At the end of the spring section where we had attached the string, crimp the ending chain of the other already made 20cms spring/tube section. Now close this chain link.

4262971842_c9ab2bcbeb_o.jpg

Check the mechanism.

4262973392_6350770fc3_o.jpg

If all of the steps and directions have been followed correctly, at this time you should have a beautiful and fully functional reproduction of Toht’s coathanger from Raiders of the Lost Ark. It should be foldable and very durable.

4262973314_6e573460c2_o.jpg

4262221035_3e791967b8_o.jpg

I uploaded a video to show my very result following this tutorial. Check it here

For the castillian-spanish version of this tutorial, check here
You can read this tutorial translated into Italian HERE

Hope you enjoyed it.

Bests
Barnett

Great work, and thanks for the well-written and illustrated tutorial. I might just have to make one of these, now...

Thanks so much apollo.

I guess is something good but several of your said something about archive material. What that exactly mean?

Dammm... I hate to be the rookie again:$

Bests
Barnett

Excellent tutorial and prop, Barnett. :thumbsup

I remember that scene back in '81 vividly, when Toht entered the tent and snapped that hangar together...except, I didn't know it was going to be a hanger at the time (nor did anyone else in the theater!), and I remember thinking, "Oh my God...what sick torture instrument is this Nazi going to use on Marion?!" :lol
Legendary_hanger_scene.jpg

Rob

Excellent tutorial and prop, Barnett. :thumbsup

I remember that scene back in '81 vividly, when Toht entered the tent and snapped that hangar together...except, I didn't know it was going to be a hanger at the time (nor did anyone else in the theater!), and I remember thinking, "Oh my God...what sick torture instrument is this Nazi going to use on Marion?!" :lol
Legendary_hanger_scene.jpg

Rob

Indeed... scary scene, Ghostsoldier.
"Here it comes tragedy and blood" , I thought

Thanks for your words. really appreciated.
Bests
Barnett

Thanks so much apollo.

I guess is something good but several of your said something about archive material. What that exactly mean?

Dammm... I hate to be the rookie again:$

Bests
Barnett

What is meant by archive is that this thread is just so awesome and full of win, it should be archived so that it won't ever be erased or fall off the board. That way, years from now people can still find it and use it to make their own fantastic coat hangers.

What is meant by archive is that this thread is just so awesome and full of win, it should be archived so that it won't ever be erased or fall off the board. That way, years from now people can still find it and use it to make their own fantastic coat hangers.

Thanks so much.
That looks good, uh? :)

And thanks for those who are giving an own-skills chance on this prop. Your highest reward will be to have it finished in your hands, believe me.

Bests
Barnett

Great Job, Barnett! I am the guy finishing up my Toht costume that Tambo mentioned.

I never realized that the Toht hangar was so sophisticated, and thought it was basically just the metal tubes with a length of chain running through them. Does the film conclusively show it is spring-loaded like that, or could Toht have put an 'all chain' hangar together in a snappy fashion with some practice? I will probably make mine like yours, as it looks and works great, but wonder if it is over-engineered.

Saw your tutorial over on COW. I am working on mine right now. Great tutorial! One question though. Is your hanger hook a found item or something you made? The stem of the hook to the loop is pretty long and I have not seen anything like it in store.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back