Toht coathanger tutorial

Barnett...you are welcome for the well-deserved comments. :cool

If you guys need a specialty hanger, look here:

http://www.onlyhangers.com/

The "shaper hanger" hooks look like they would work...

You can use the metal hook from one of those cheapo, clear plastic hangers you see at thrift stores, as they usually have a long shank....
Rob

Great Job, Barnett! I am the guy finishing up my Toht costume that Tambo mentioned.

I never realized that the Toht hangar was so sophisticated, and thought it was basically just the metal tubes with a length of chain running through them. Does the film conclusively show it is spring-loaded like that, or could Toht have put an 'all chain' hangar together in a snappy fashion with some practice? I will probably make mine like yours, as it looks and works great, but wonder if it is over-engineered.

I must admit my hanger could be too much sophisticated, in fact, i don't really believe real movie hanger had any spring or resort. Nevertheless, when I decided to make it, I wanted to make something really nice and "profesional" and, as you can see through the video, my mechanism is a absolutelly automathic one. I think that's what it made me fall in love. :love

Saw your tutorial over on COW. I am working on mine right now. Great tutorial! One question though. Is your hanger hook a found item or something you made? The stem of the hook to the loop is pretty long and I have not seen anything like it in store.

I made my own hook since i couldn't find a longer one, as you said. It was a matter of 10 mins, promissed.

You can use the metal hook from one of those cheapo, clear plastic hangers you see at thrift stores, as they usually have a long shank....
Rob

Great finding here, Ghostsoldier.

It would be great you all could show your hangers here. Come on... just for fun.

Bests
Barnett

Rob

Anyone get ideas after seeing the hanging body forms offered on that site ?

Last edited:
This is a nice replica of one of the great gags in Raiders.

Spielberg actually conceived of this gag for 1941, but it didn't work properly.

I once had a chance to handle the original Raiders prop, in a friend's collection. The hook is slightly straighter (it doesn't bend back on itself before hooking around) than the style seen here.

Best,
Brandon

I once had a chance to handle the original Raiders prop, in a friend's collection. The hook is slightly straighter (it doesn't bend back on itself before hooking around) than the style seen here.

Best,
Brandon

No pics of it? i think I've never seen it in a private collection.
That would be great

bests
Barnett

Bump, since there's still some people asking me for this tutorial in private.
Thanks so much for your kind words about my conception of this prop.

Bests
Barnett

I just watched the original VHS copy of Raiders 1981. I never actually see the coat hanger separate in the middle or the bottom long side of the Hanger?

Can someone tell me why they think it actually has a spring loaded center piece? Toht even pulls it straight and it does not come apart in that section?

Looking for clearification on this prop.

BTW - Tutorial is great and I loved the video you made :thumbsup

Thanks

KB

Can someone tell me why they think it actually has a spring loaded center piece? Toht even pulls it straight and it does not come apart in that section?

Looking for clearification on this prop.

BTW - Tutorial is great and I loved the video you made :thumbsup

Thanks

KB

I must admit my hanger could be too much sophisticated, in fact, i don't really believe real movie hanger had any spring or resort. Nevertheless, when I decided to make it, I wanted to make something really nice and "proffesional" and, as you can see through the video, my mechanism is an absolutely automathic one.

Glad you liked the tutorial.
Bests
Barnett

I must admit my hanger could be too much sophisticated, in fact, i don't really believe real movie hanger had any spring or resort. Nevertheless, when I decided to make it, I wanted to make something really nice and "proffesional" and, as you can see through the video, my mechanism is an absolutely automathic one.

Glad you liked the tutorial.
Bests
Barnett

Thank you sooooo much! I kept reading other posts and interpretations of the hanger that mention the "Spring" loaded element. They must be inspired by your work.

I was just looking to see if another version of the movie shows it actually coming apart on the long side or not.

Ok, now I can sleep tonight.

Thanks again :)

Best,
Brandon

do you remember what bad guy did it? He would later show up in a Lucas movie hehe..

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back