The People vs. George Lucas

hankey01

Sr Member
"The movie, which releases theatrically in June, is a documentary look at the die hard Star Wars fans their complete disdain for the new set of movies. It was recently announced that the film will debut at the SXSW Film Festival"

Edit..direct link not allowed so maybe copy and paste this in your browser or just find the article from the main page at http://videoeta.com/

http: //videoeta.com/news/2933 (just remove the space after pasting it in browser)

Last edited:
The world is full of haters - sad people.

Funny these so-called fans must love the first movies to complain about the second set. Not a shock they only focus on the negative. Maybe next they could make one thanking him for the movies they do love (and love to such an extreme to generate this). I know it is mostly old folks (30-50) who can't accept that they see the past in rose colored glasses, but still...
I would feel bad about it, but it is not a shock, and I think George will just keep doing what he does, I will keep sending him my money to voice the opposite opinion from these "people".

Link dead!
videoeta_no_leech.gif

I don't consider myself a "hater" at all but it would be nice if Lucas would just release a non-SE version of Star Wars.

What would the uproar be like if that was the case for other classics like Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music or the Godfather?

Star Wars (and Indy for that matter) do not belong to the fans, sorry. What ever else they are, they are a creation of Lucas and co.

Now, I do not mean to imply that they should be above criticism. Quite the opposite actually, criticism should be made and welcomed by the creators. But I do not buy into the logic that the series should be subject to popular approval.

It is what it is. Take it or leave it.

I don't consider myself a "hater" at all but it would be nice if Lucas would just release a non-SE version of Star Wars.

What would the uproar be like if that was the case for other classics like Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music or the Godfather?

Digitally add Jar Jar into the Godfather! That would really enhance the directors original vision! :lol

My main problem is that those who criticize the prequels usually do not put the same microscope to the original trilogy nor do they even understand what they are criticizing. They often use some sort of faulty logic to "prove" something doesn't make sense or is stupid.

The most obvious example that comes to mind that demonstrates both of these points is the midichlorians.

I have a problem with Lucas' duplicity.

In one breath he defends film history, the need for restoration and preservation, etc etc - like some sort of benevolent sage whatever...

... and then in the other breath he's like "waaa, I'm taking my ball and going home", refusing to release a restored (some might argue historical) preserved version of what I SAW IN THE THEATER AS A CHILD.

Star Wars CHANGED my life. Why the heck is it not being preserved warts and all, at all?

Sure, he has the right and the power/resources to dick around with it all he wants, but for the love of art, can he not see the merit of an unaltered restoration, from the point of view that even he lauds?!

The man is a weirdo.

I have the original theatrical versions of SW, ESB and ROTJ on DVD, official releases.

Came as second discs on a limited edition of the Special Editions.

Are you saying you want a digitally remastered version of the theatrical release?

yes please because they used the laserdisc master for the original versions oft he movies on that DVD set.

considering lucas is a big proponent of video and sound quality, its shameful he lets the original version of the films that made his fortune and gave him lifetime creative freedom go out in such a poor visual form

The world is full of haters - sad people.

Funny these so-called fans must love the first movies to complain about the second set. Not a shock they only focus on the negative. Maybe next they could make one thanking him for the movies they do love (and love to such an extreme to generate this). I know it is mostly old folks (30-50) who can't accept that they see the past in rose colored glasses, but still...
I would feel bad about it, but it is not a shock, and I think George will just keep doing what he does, I will keep sending him my money to voice the opposite opinion from these "people".

Couldn't have said it better myself! George will always be Da Man for that time back in 1977 when I was a 12 year old kid seeing Star Wars for the first time.

Robert

Oh this old hat again. Aren't there new dead horses to beat. This one's been pulverized so many times it's practically dust... or at the very least, compost.

Couldn't have said it better myself! George will always be Da Man for that time back in 1977 when I was a 12 year old kid seeing Star Wars for the first time.

Robert
You know what is amusing about this? I was in line for RotS with some youngster, 16 or 17, and his memory of Star Wars was Phantom Menace. That movie left the same mark on him that Star Wars left on me. Bunch of crybaby haters these days.

Like it or not Star Wars is Georges baby. Also like it or not, when you release a great set of films, and then another set of films that are a continuation, prequel or sequel, and they SUCK, you will have people that have every right to have the opinion that one is better than the other. Just because people are fans does not mean they have to like everything the guy makes. My personal opinion, OT is a great set of films, and the prequels aren't worth repeated viewings.

My personal opinion, OT is a great set of films, and the prequels aren't worth repeated viewings.

My personal opinion: Star Wars is a great movie, as is Empire, but everything else is pretty sloppy.

I can't be bothered bashing the PT, as I just don't see the point.

That trailer was pretty bad.

Let's just hope this isn't anything like Heart of an Empire, which had absolutely no structure.

You know what is amusing about this? I was in line for RotS with some youngster, 16 or 17, and his memory of Star Wars was Phantom Menace. That movie left the same mark on him that Star Wars left on me. Bunch of crybaby haters these days.

Yeah, my nephew feels the same way about the prequels. They may not have hade the nostalgic feeling of the OT but I enjoyed them enough to see them in the theatres, buy the DVD's and still watch them every now and then. No hate here.

Robert

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back