Clockwork Orange Alex' Britva Cane

Andymac84

Sr Member
NEW Clockwork Orange Alex' Britva Cane - done 2018

8 years ago I've started this thread...:wacko After two attempts with no great results..I was finally able to built one the way I was imagine it:

Previously I had used another knife, but It turned out too small, too short. I was overall not satisfied with it. So out with the old, in with the new knife. Have to remove the "stainless steel" etching on it with a smooth sandpaper. I also have to darken the nail who holds the knife in place. The cane is not perfect and screen accurate, but I've used a real wooden one which my passed away Granddad was working on it. I've now reworked it to my goods and I am totally happy with the results. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun in working out problems and looking for solutions.

Old post 2010:
Alex DeLarge's Britva Cane:

Alex DeLarge's notorious Britva Cane as used by Malcom McDowell in the awesome 1971 flick 'A Clockwork Orange'. It features an black varnished aluminium cane, a plastic stopper at the end, and an authentic hardwood marble at the top of the cane. Entirely 3 ft. long, just like the screen used version. The marble was coated by a beautiful colored glaze, called Oregon pinewood. Finally clear coated to seal the wooden top. Unfortunately, there is still no blade attached on the inside of the hidden grip mechanism. Made entirely by myself.
This one is based upon a cane that Malcolm McDowell carried during a photo session wearing the classic villain gear from Alex DeLarge again:
http://9.media.tumblr.com/JHNSjgA33lvzuz18AgigySvxo1_400.jpg

http://www.yourprops.com/Alex_DeLar...nge__Stanley_Kubrick_s__1971__prop_35135.html

I could post a tutorial too if somebody would like to see it.

Last edited:
I'd love some more info on this. It's the third of the holy trinity of canes.:lol

Hammond's cane
Wolfman cane
Alex's cane.

So yeah any info would be great so I could make one of these bad boys for the display.

I'm a bit confused, is this a replica of the one used for the Macdowell photoshoot or a replica of the one used in the film :confused

It looks like the one used for the photoshoot, but it doesn't bear much resembalance to the screen used one.

Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising visit?

More information, please!

I'm a bit confused, is this a replica of the one used for the Macdowell photoshoot or a replica of the one used in the film :confused

It looks like the one used for the photoshoot, but it doesn't bear much resembalance to the screen used one.

I'll answer from the OP

Alex DeLarge's Britva Cane:

This one is based upon a cane that Malcolm McDowell carried during a photo session wearing the classic villain gear from Alex DeLarge.

Thanks for clearing it out for me. This one is based upon the one used during the photo shot. A guy over at yourprops contacting me with the following information:

"This is very cool! I was actually at that photo session, wasn't it for Entertainment Weekly? Do you know which issue? "

Unfortunately, no... But maybe somebody in here have some further informations.:thumbsup
I would like to do a more screen used version with a blade in the inside. But that's the major problem here in finding the correct shaped blade/knife...
the non-centrical genital gripping section should be not a problem.
The cane itself looks like a taped cane, which surface is not exactly cylindrical.
Just like Emperor Palpatines cane (Exaggerated pictured in mind).

There are not very much pictures out there, any help would be much appreciated.

http://malcolmtributepics.hostrator.com/aco/costumeknife.jpg

http://malcolmtributepics.hostrator.com/aco/costumeboots.jpg

I'm able to post a template for the weekend.:thumbsup

Ah, now I understand.
Here's a clearer grab I took myself. Let me know if you want anymore.
vlcsnap-2009-10-22-02h20m08s236.png

The screen used one would have been an Irish Blackthorn or a studio made prop of an Irish Blackthorn.

Here's one I recently aquired. Obviously no real way to attatch the Britva.
ibt1.jpg

Andymac84, real Irish Blackthorn is fairly expensive and hard to come by. But there are a few on ebay that are imitation but look amazing. They go in the $50 range. It's on my LONG list of things to buy..

just search Irish Blackthorn on eBay. And to be honest, the imitation one is probably more screen accurate as they likely would have made stunt copies to use during filming..

What about the hidden blade?

Andy

would be possible if we can find the correct blade:thumbsup
But I wouldn't cut down a real blackthorn cane. I guess this was only a replica from the one they're used during filming. and only used for this close up scene as posted above.

Last edited:
I can finally show my new Alex DeLarge's notorious Britva Cane as used by Malcom McDowell in the awesome 1971 flick 'A Clockwork Orange'.
Working time on this was about 12/2017 to this day in 2018.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back