Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

the_eli

Got the chance to see this movie yesterday evening and was on the fence about it. This is the first film that I read the book first, followed by the film. Seeing that I am such a Harry Potter fan, I do see the potential that this film could be the next best thing should they keep it up and make the next four books into films.

The Lightning Thief was on many parts way off the book, keeping out two key characters and some pretty important events that are key to the next books. (I had to read them all) However the story was entertaining no matter what. Director Chris Columbus did direct the first two Harry films and did an ok job with them. NOW, I do have a huge respect for turning books to film, since it requires a lot of deciding whats in and whats out. Books are made for the imagination, and there is no 2 hour limit on where our imaginations take us, but if I were at the wheel, I would have included the other the other characters. (btw the minotaur was AWESOME)

On a prop stage, the possibilities are fantastic:

"this is a pen" pen =)
Riptide the Sword
Trident
Hermes flying shoes
Master Bolt
Chiron Walking Stick
Pearls

Just to name a few, and tho Percy is up against the much anticipated Valentines Day and Wolfman, I am sure it will do fine.

We saw it today and not having read the books, I didn't know what to expect. I really enjoyed it and I liked that fact that it was PG, so it was OK for my 9 year old. We had a lot of fun and I am looking forward to more of them.

Just got home from it. Enjoyed it a lot, was a ton of fun.

I loved that it included mythology and lots of references to the old greek gods. Great little mythology/history lesson in an action flick.

The Pen is the sword. Percy has to activate it to turn into the sword and Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Sea of Monsters IS being made with an approximate release in 2012.

Saw it on Saturday with my 8 and 11 year old and my wife. We all enjoyed it! hehe my daughter liked it so much that she went and saw it again with her friend on Sunday!

I took my 9 and 5 year old boys to it this weekend and we loved it. I was so proud of my 9 year old when he said that the book had more in it and it was better. Anyway, I started reading the books and have to agree. Fun writing style.

The movie is great though. Looking forward to some of the props being made by those with capable hands.

Cheers

Sebastian

I saw it too. It was a fun movie.
Glad to hear they are going to make the next one.
Anybody else catch the nod to Poseidon in the choice of car they took out of Vegas?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back