Question about grinding stainless steel...

Hecubus114

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I bought a stainless steel knife blade that I want to slightly reshape part of. My question is - will I be able to keep the finish the same on the part I grind down? Or will it be permanently duller? It is part if the edge that is unsharpened (so... the "flat" backside, if that makes sense) that I want to alter...

Yes, you can. It will take some work with different grade sandpaper, then buffing compounds.

Start with 80 and end with 600 grit paper. I sometimes use 40 but that takes off a lot of steel. I normally use 80, 120, 320 then 600.

For buffing SS, I think you use the green compound. I've only used the White and Red since I've never done Stainless.

FB

What are you going to grind it down with? If you are using a bench grinder with a fine wheel and you have a steady hand you can get a pretty good finish(You want to get as smooth a finish from your shaping as you can anyway, less work later) maybe even good enough to satisfy your goal. If you use a dremel with a fine grit you can also get really close. Clamp the blade, when using the dremel, so that you can control the tool better.
Then if you still want a better finish, do as Mr. Bolo says and use finer grits to sand it down. I would use wet/dry paper and sand wet(use a bucket of water with a little dish soap in it) you can get a beautiful finish with some elbow grease. Then top it off with either a buffing wheel and rouge or hand polish with something like Flitz.

I've just recently used my belt sander to reshape a couple of stainless steel table knives I got at a thrift store into prop scalpels I'll be using at our party room at Marscon in Minnesota. The product I had used was a 3M 120 grit sanding belt and got very good results. It does take a bit of time, though.

I'm just talking the finish. I have a bench grinder and a dremel, so getting the shape I want shouldnt be too difficult. I just didnt want to bother if I wasnt going to be able to make the surface where I ground it down match the rest. But lots of good info here so I am gonna give it a go.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back