Firefly/Serenity Inara, Mal, Zoe, Kaylee, Jayne, Simon and River costumes

Forensick

Hey... not sure if this is my first post or not... but been lurking for a while
eitherway, time to properly contribute

So, Supanova is coming up in australia (april)
so some friends and i are going as Mal (me), Inara (my GF), Zoe, Jayne, Kaylee, Simon and River.
--lemme know if anyone is going to melbourne as book or wash--
-don't know if it is the place for it (so just delete if it isn't)-
I am still mostly in the collecting stage.

Zoe is almost complete, just need to redye the holster i found on ebay, $80 it is a steve mcqueen dead or alive replica, best i have seen BY A LONG SHOT -other than badgers-, but it comes in black... the redying will probably make me cry. (msg me if you want the sellers ID)
and wait for a vest (BDM style to arrive in post) -i'll post current pics up, and some progress pics of my holster mods

All my kaylee stuff is incoming, along with my sisters old sewing machine, coz it will need some heavy modding.. gonna make the parisol myself

found rivers BDM dress in pink that i am gonna dye

Simon i am modding an old suit of mine, but still need some purple glasses that i cant find to save myself

jayne i haven't started, but will be the easiest

For Mal i got the israeli IDF suspenders yesterday, and will start modding tomorrow. spashed out on a holster from badger, pants from WWM, still looking for the gossgrain... boots i found amazingly close for $40 on oztion.com.au, and i have ordered leather to make the coat

Inara i am going for train job dress, with gold cloak... that is WELL beyond my skill, so looking for a good seamstress there, preferably one used to doing costume copies (budget is around $500 if anyone can, or knows anyone who can)

full set of 'verse weapons from wilco models are coming, hopefully with no customs issues... i know the mares leg gets destroyed a bit :cry

i think i set myself a fairly big task for someone new to costuming, so any help, critism (constructive) or advice would be very much appreciated.
-assuming this thread is allowed, i'll post some progress pics as they come-

4340557668_e6c6e83d33.jpg

still needs necklace, which i will make tomorrow, gun and the vest... which is arriving next week, dont knwo how suitable it will be may need some modifications

She's a bit pale to be Zoe....

:lol :p ;)

I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :p ;) It sound like you have a great task at hand, but if evrything looks like her costume above, evrything will be great! :D Can't wait to see evrything!

Love this project! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the costumes too. Zoe looks great so far! :)

Only suggestion I have for you is to get everyone involved and don't think you can do it all yourself! Otherwise you have your work cut out for you, and Zoe looks great!

-Tyler

We have a white Zoe in our group, too, so don't fret about that.

I costume as Simon - for the glasses, I would recommend checking ebay for "Beatles glasses". You might get lucky and find a pair that will work. Here's my Simon vs. the screen cap:
DSC_0534.jpg
serenity207.jpg

Great looking Simon there, Skruffy! :)

Is it insensitive or uncool to have white Zoe's wear tan make up to darken their skin? I mean, when I went as an elf, I wore a few shades lighter to get pale skin and twi-leks change their skin color all the time. Are we beyond the race issue enough that it would be okay to make the costume more accurate? Not trying to start anything, just asking honestly here...

Great looking Simon there, Skruffy! :)

Is it insensitive or uncool to have white Zoe's wear tan make up to darken their skin? I mean, when I went as an elf, I wore a few shades lighter to get pale skin and twi-leks change their skin color all the time. Are we beyond the race issue enough that it would be okay to make the costume more accurate? Not trying to start anything, just asking honestly here...

the plan is to foundation a few shades darker...
so more like a really tanned white chick

i would get others to help.... but i dont trust them to do it properly.... they will take lazy ways out... and it is simple details that sell things
-like removing the collar from a jacket for simon, rather than just skipping the jacket, or wearing a normal one

DSC_0534.jpg
QUOTE]

Remove the stethoscope and add long hair and I'd swear you look just like Ozzy. :)

Forensick: Great outfit so far! I think you're doing a fabulous job!

just made zoes necklace

and almost finished Mals suspenders, converted the IDF suspenders, just waiting on the leather button end thingys to arrive from the US

pics to follow

The coat is excellent! Make me one!

The cut of the vest is superb - I wish I had made the neckline on mine sit higher, as yours does. I would have chosen a fabric with a design for the front vs. the flat black, but Simon wears a different vest in every episode so you are certainly "in the spirit" of the costume with your choice.

The glasses are the right shape, the lenses the right color; it's just the frame that is off. why not unscrew the sides to free the lenses, then you can either spray paint black or plasti-dip them? Then just re-insert lenses and you'll be good!

The cut of the vest is superb - I wish I had made the neckline on mine sit higher, as yours does. I would have chosen a fabric with a design for the front vs. the flat black, but Simon wears a different vest in every episode so you are certainly "in the spirit" of the costume with your choice.

The glasses are the right shape, the lenses the right color; it's just the frame that is off. why not unscrew the sides to free the lenses, then you can either spray paint black or plasti-dip them? Then just re-insert lenses and you'll be good!

HEYYYY!!! STEPHEN! Glad to see you made it over to these parts!

coat was easy, found one in an op shop with the rough shape, cut the lapels off, turned them inside and sewed them down, using an iron on hem to clean it up a bit

the vest does have a pattern, a very loose check pattern, unclear photo tho

awesome idea for the glasses, TOTALLY doing that in the morning

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back