Want to see my Willy?

Johnny Fever

My One Eyed Willy from Goonies that is.
This is the first time I have started my own thread so be gentle. For the last couple of months I have been working on Mr. Willy off and on. I decided to make a replica of Willy’s skull due to the fact that Goonies was one of my favorite childhood movies, another was that I do not remember anyone else making the skull on the RPF so I wanted to be a little different.

GOONIES.jpg

mew.jpg

new2.jpg

1B.jpg

1C.jpg

I know that I missed a few details here and there but I don’t think it turned out that bad. I will list the materials used and post progress pics later.

Please let me know what you think.

-John

I love a good Willy!

You really did a great job. As for the eyepatch the one thing you should do is replace the "gems" with the correct mini earings.

Here is what I did:

IMG_7897.jpg

I love a good Willy!

You really did a great job. As for the eyepatch the one thing you should do is replace the "gems" with the correct mini earings.

Thanks for the compliments.
The rhinestones on the patch are placeholders until I can find suitable stud earring replacements.

The skull started as a "Bucky" bargain skull that was purchased from eBay several years ago.
500x_BuckySkull-500px.jpg

The left eye was stuffed with plastic material and covered with bondo. The original teeth were molded into the skull so they were ground off with a dremel. The lower jaw was reworked with more bondo to match the deformity seen on the screen used skull. Holes on the jaws were hollowed out for new teeth. I had ordered acrylic dental teeth but when they arrived they proved to be far too short. My solution to the problem was to make sculpey attachments to the "roots" then boil them for about twenty minutes. After they cooled they were sanded down and a simple silicone mold of the new longer teeth was made. After the mold was finished new translucent teeth were made by mixing 5-minute epoxy with a little tan and brown acrylic paint then pouring the mixture in to the mold. The end result looked surprisingly like the acrylic teeth only a shade or two off. The new teeth were then positioned in to the jaws and secured with superglue. Spot putty was the worked around the bottoms of the teeth and sculpted to the jaws. The teeth were masked off and several coats of high build primer were sprayed. The whole skull was then wet sanded to smooth out the reworked areas. I then took a pointed bit in my dremel and created new sutures on the skull.
P1030869.jpg

WOPATCH2.jpg

To get a more organic look, wood glue was applied in layers with a sponge to give slight texture. It was then airbrushed with several different shades of brown, dry brushed with acrylics to highlight some areas then a dark brown wash was applied to give depth to other areas.
P1040013.jpg

The patch was made from an old leather wallet that had been in my junk drawer for some time.
P1040009.jpg

The head rag was made from a floral print feed sack made in the 1930s that I found on eBay. Unfortunately the flower print is too small but I doubt few people off the RPF will notice. The sack material was soaked in instant coffee then allowed to dry. It was then applied to the skull print side down to add to the old faded look. I then attached the skull to an acrylic rod with an old worn wood base. To dull everything down and to give a dusty look baby powder was applied with a large brush.

P1040079.jpg

As a side note, the small plastic Halloween skull is the same as the one seen on Mikey’s bedpost at the start of the movie.
-John

I hate you! :lol REALLY nice work.. I have been wanting to get one made for, god knows how long.. Any chance you doing me up one? :confused Very jealous..

Turned out great!
I've not seen the Goonies in a long time, with all these great props on show I think I'm gonna have to see it again soon.

I concur with everyone else. You really did capture the look of Willy and I love the bedpost skull. I never thought to include that.

Now all you need is my Chester Copperpot Newspaper!

Nice work, I actually thought about trying to make one myself after seeing the movie last weekend... Doesn't Donner still have the original on display in his office? I remember reading that somewhere (probably here, actually).

Wow, Your willy has one eye, and its awesome.

You know, somehow I never let the perverted side of me register the name 'One-eyed Willy' before. :cool I saw the movie in a theater last Friday with a large group of people, some of whom had never seen it. As soon as they mentioned the name, a few people started giggling and pretty much caused theater-wide laughter for a few seconds... That's all it took. :lol It's actually a great movie to see with a large crowd...

Rik

great work. seems a bit too clean though. If it were mine I would dirty it up a bit.

Still, wonderful job on it.

Absolutely OUTSTANDING john great work.The attention to detail is amazing best willy I seen :eek

"GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE" and neither should this thread

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back