The Man With No Name... on a budget!

Does this look okay?

4348160248_588b96e5b9_o.jpg

Excuse the photo, too... the barrel isn't bent.

This is the closest hat I could find, unfortunately:

4364955406_bd13eaf6d9.jpg

Excuse the mannequin head and backdrop, too (it isn't my photo).

Still, with a different band, some shaping, plus a bit of weathering, I think it'll work (in silhouette, at least).

Thanks for that pic, gunnerk!

not to jack the thread, but i was curious as to the quality of these ponchos, like the one you posted from amazon, there is also a seller on ebay that sells, the poncho for 99 dollars, and uses the same pics as the amazon seller and maybe they are the same person, but i was wondering if anyone was familiar with the quality.

not to jack the thread, but i was curious as to the quality of these ponchos, like the one you posted from amazon, there is also a seller on ebay that sells, the poncho for 99 dollars, and uses the same pics as the amazon seller and maybe they are the same person, but i was wondering if anyone was familiar with the quality.

Well....they're too big, too thick, and the pattern is almost sort of close. If you are looking for screen accurate, this ain't it. If you're looking for a halloween costume that almost anyone who doesn't hang out in the RPF would think is the real deal, then it's fine...for what it is.

Here's a not on a budget poncho:

poncho1.jpg

So, dyeing wool is out of the question (too many problems). The next option is finding a blanket that is the same colour, then cutting that up.

Unfortunately, there's been bit of a mixup with the hat; and I can't fit any of the others I can find (as I have a giant ****ing head). But the Birthday Boy said this melon-headed ********** can still enter the Gem Saloon without one. Phew! Yeah, yeah, I know... it won't be as iconic without the hat, but I'm gonna have to make do.

The shirt is in the final stages of being altered, I hear. It'll be a completely different shirt, as I'm having a whole lot altered: the sleeves shortened by 145 mm, pockets added to the front, plus a new collar (with rounded tips and the lines running horizontally). It'll be almost perfect. I removed all the tags, labels, pockets and [cosmetic] stitching from the black jeans; and I've washed 'em in hot water a few times, plus weathered the seams, so they definitely have the right look.

I might even grow a beard, but I'll see what happens (it only takes me a few days to do so).

The vest? Well, I don't know how, but I've actually made one! And, I have to say, it is pretty close to being perfect! I just have to colour it with some acrylics (just to darken it a tiny bit, then it'll be done. The poncho is a different story, though; I still haven't been able to find a matching fabric. I might have to use brown... if I can find a brown, that is! Dyeing is just out of the question.

I finally found the correct fabric for the poncho! It wasn't cheap, but it is perfect. I'll test fit another lot of fabric that I cut into a poncho, then use that as a guide. I'm still not sure how I'll add the detail, but I'll figure something out. I'm just glad I don't have to dye any wool!

I got some boots that fit under the jeans, too; which means I'm pretty much sorted.

The poncho is cut, so I just need to work out the pattern... I'm not sure how, though! The vest needs to be stitched a bit better, but it's looking good; and I had to buy another shirt, as I don't think my other shirt is gonna be finished (no word from the seamstress). But it's all going to plan (I haven't shaved for a couple of days, either).

In regards to the shirt collar:

Unpick the collar from the shirt (just the top part of the collar, leave the part with the button on).

Unpick the topstitching on the collar, then turn it inside out, sew the curves at the collar points and trim the excess fabric.

Turn it right side around and press it flat.

Pin it back in place and either hand or machine stitch.

Then redo the topstitching.

Hope that helps.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Hey there CTF,

As someone who has researched and built this costume (over and over until near perfection) for nearly 30 years, I can tell you, that since this is a one-time use, just keep it simple.

Get yourself a pair of black jeans, and pin-striped button-up shirt (don't worry about the direction of the stripes), a simple pair of (tan preferably) cowboy boots, a black bandanna, any cowboy hat with a relatively flat crown and brim (hopefully brown), and a few Backwoods Cigars. You should be able to find most of this at Walmart or any thrift store.

That only leaves the Poncho and Sheepskin Vest.

My first Poncho was made of forrest green wool of a medium weight. The pattern was created using white felt and Stitch Witchery. It worked well and I still have it today.

For the Vest, I used faux sheepskin (really inexpensive) and sewed it by hand.

It made a really good start and fooled everyone who saw it.

The rig I used ran me $12.50 and I used a Colt Army (wrong gun) that I built from a t for $75.00.

Feel free to email me if you need advice. Maybe we can talk on the phone.

Last edited:
I'm renting some boots, which are just that: plain brown cowboy boots. Speaking of which, I don't know how people walk in those things! The shirt? Well, I had the perfect shirt all sorted... or so I thought! The seamstress didn't get all the alterations done, which I only just found out (after not hearing from her for three days), so I don't think I'll have time to have the rest of it finished. I destroyed a $120.00 shirt for absolutely no reason. :unsure I won't be wearing a hat, but I just got the "Clint" cut. The beard is coming in, too.

The vest, which I was dreading having to make, is finished! I had absolutely no sewing experience, but it still turned out pretty well. I used two sheepskins, which I stole from my dog (since he eats them, instead of sleeping on them), to make it. And, dare I say it, the vest is more accurate than any you can buy. :angel

I cut the poncho to the right length/width (for me, that is), after a lot of trial and error. The fabric is way too heavy, so I can't throw it over my shoulder without it looking wrong... never mind, though. As a test, I masked up some of the scrap fabric, then sprayed it with paint, which worked. Perfectly. I got REALLY clean lines! It'll take some time to get the design laid out on the poncho, but the actual painting won't take long.

Here's the little lady's outfit:

4397561376_fda3d80db4.jpg

She sent it to my phone, so it's tiny. She's not finished yet -- the fishnets, garter belt and makeup are missing -- but it's getting close.

Thanks for advice!

What are the dangly bits on the poncho made from? I was thinking of using wool, but it might not be heavy enough.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back