The Man With No Name... on a budget!

I wonder who these two are meant to be?

Looks like Dan, Trixie and Al to me.

Incidentally, I went as a bit of a non SA Clint for Halloween last year. It was a lot tougher to piece the costume together on a budget than I'd originally anticipated, so I decided to forego accuracy in favor of recognizability. I figured that the poncho and hat are really the most important features, so I splurged a bit there to try to get as close as possible while still letting the rest of the costume fit in the same spaghetti western motif.

4077211824_001a0be7e6_b.jpg

The belt and .45 are both Denix and were already in my collection, the boots, jeans and shirt were all from my normal wardrobe, the scarf was a scrap from the fabric store, and the vest was a vintage find on eBay. The poncho is the afore-mentioned eBay\Amazon option, and the hat was just a wide-brimmed, tall-crowned leather number from, again, eBay.

That's ten days worth of beard, a few years of laziness (I'm about 14 kilos lighter now), plus a whole lot of liquor; I tell ya, it's never -- I repeat, NEVER -- a good idea to mix strawberry daiquiris, mojitos, beer and whiskey... anyway, here you go:

Only I could make Clint's outfit look lame.

It doesn't help that I'm holding a mojito, either.

And I'm not having a stroke; I was trying to look intimidating.

Dude,

That costume looks as good if not better then the first one that I built over 25 years ago!

Good start, now just update and it (like I did with mine), a piece at a time. Over a period of time, you can come up with something superb.

Keep up with the good work.

You're way too kind.

Sadly, I did away with the costume before I took some more photos. But who knows, I might put another together in the future.

I'm currently trying to piece this costume together, without much luck.

Does anyone have parts or the whole thing, specifically the poncho, hat, and vest they would be willing to part with.

Think I might go the route of sewing together my own poncho. The beard is coming on strong!

Hey there CTF,

As someone who has researched and built this costume (over and over until near perfection) for nearly 30 years, I can tell you, that since this is a one-time use, just keep it simple.

Get yourself a pair of black jeans, and pin-striped button-up shirt (don't worry about the direction of the stripes), a simple pair of (tan preferably) cowboy boots, a black bandanna, any cowboy hat with a relatively flat crown and brim (hopefully brown), and a few Backwoods Cigars. You should be able to find most of this at Walmart or any thrift store.

That only leaves the Poncho and Sheepskin Vest.

My first Poncho was made of forrest green wool of a medium weight. The pattern was created using white felt and Stitch Witchery. It worked well and I still have it today.

For the Vest, I used faux sheepskin (really inexpensive) and sewed it by hand.

It made a really good start and fooled everyone who saw it.

The rig I used ran me $12.50 and I used a Colt Army (wrong gun) that I built from a t for $75.00.

Feel free to email me if you need advice. Maybe we can talk on the phone.
Tiberius,
Would love to see pics of your costume as I'm trying to put something pretty accurate together for a display.
Thanks.

So, last week, one of my buddies was wandering through Wellington, when he passed an area which is used as a "hangout" by some of our city's homeless. He noticed the usual bottles and blankets scattered 'round the place, then noticed something unusual 'bout one of the blankets... then it clicked with him: it was the poncho I made for this costume!

I'm glad it made somebody happy!

I dunno what's up with the lame compression, but here's a photo of us together... I look like the bum that ended up with the poncho, really; while the little lady has been told she looks like Dita Von Teese.

Nice job! I am planning to do this costume for a fancy dress party in a couple of weeks

Have found this at a local army surplus store:

http://www.lutonarmysurplus.co.uk/images/woolly/wool30L.jpg

Large warm military issue blanket in olive green, hemmed for durability. Constructed from 55% wool, 45% mixed fibres with red trim. Suitable for a vast array of purposes, and cheaper than most sleeping bags. Sized 60" x 80".

A bit of cutting, adding the tassles and the pattern and I think it will be pretty good.

I already have a suitable shirt, jeans and boots that will work. Necktie is pretty simple.

Brown Western Cowboy Hat for fancy dress as the Wandering Gunman, UK

I'm going for this cheap hat for budget purposes, I think adding a better hatband and weathering it a little may improve it...

I think hitting the charity shops may be my best bet for a sheepskin coat or something to butcher into a waistcoat.

Oh and I already have the beard!!!

Will post pics when I have the costume finished

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back