LOTR Berserker Uruk Hai helm - from scratch - FINISHED

ob1al

Sr Member
I'm on a bit of a LOTR kick at the moment so I decided to start on a Beserker Uruk helm, for $0.

I sourced a few reference pics from google and went to work with an old cardboard beer crate, some scissors and some tape.

A couple hours work tonight and I've mapped out the basic form and made it a wearable helmet. I still need to add the spiked collar detail at the back, I'm on a beer break so I'll do that later tonight.

Once the form is ironed out, I'll fibreglass resin the piece, then bodyfiller to smooth the imperfections, then another layer of resin, add the rivet details then paint. Not forgetting the white hand of Saruman slapped on the front, looking forward to doing that bit.

Anyway, a fun project for zero money (I have spare resin and cloth, paints etc. in my DIY cupboard lol).

Here's where I am am so far...RRRRRAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

:lolf

Last edited:
Re: LOTR Beserker Uruk Hai helm - from scratch

Haha..

Yeah, looking a bit RRRROOOUUUGGGGHHHHH at the moment.

I've added the collar and refined the shape to more of a head contour.

The first layer of resin is currently curing, then I can see what kind of mess I have to correct. Body filler is my friend.:lol

Last edited:
Re: LOTR Berserker Uruk Hai helm - from scratch

That resin kicked quickly!

Here's where I am with it. For a quick and nasty build up, it's not as bad as I expected. But yeah, lots of bodyfiller and sanding to come.

I'll post progress photos in a day or two.

Regards

Al

A bit more progress.

The whole thing was sanded, trimmed and reshaped a bit more, then 2 layers of bodyfiller and 3 hours of sanding...

Then a top coat of grey resin.

Once this is dry, MORE sanding and fine tuning with the dremel before painting, weathering and sealing.

Oh, I need to line the inside too.

But it's getting there I think.

Al

Aaaand almost done.

Painted, weathered and white-handed!

Just need to add the rivet details once it's properly dry.

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, and for ZERO money!

Please let me know what you think! :)

Al

Re: LOTR Berserker Uruk Hai helm - from scratch - ALMOST DONE!

well, I think, this looks ***** great ! Wish, I had the helmet here :D - very nice project

I went from " :confused" to "Wow. That looks absolutely incredible".
Great work right there, I love it. :D

Thanks!

It did look a bit craptacular when I was mapping it out with cardboard...:lol

Couple more shots just for fun...rrrraaaarrrrgggghhhhh!

I almost forgot to take pics of the final helmet, with the "rivet" detail and so on, here it is:

1002116.jpg

1002120f.jpg

1002119t.jpg

It turned out OK, but I think my Witch King from scratch build will be better.

Al

Thanks so much for the nice comments, it was a fun build and honest to goodness cost me no money whatsoever. It's nice to see something take shape from a pile of free cardboard boxes, there's something very satisfying about it.

The witchking helmet is coming along quite well. I'll update that thread in a couple of days with progress pics. I need to buy some bodyfiller to progress with that, then it should start to come together I think.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back