help with judge dredd helmet

fat bloke

my nephew wants to have a go at making the judge dredd movie and comic book helmet
does any one have any dimensions photes etc that might be of help
keith

dont know abt movie helmet - nicksdad on here had a run of the movie helmets IIRC

as for the comic - loadsa diff references based on which artist did the drawing. there is no right shape I would say. There is an official 2000AD replica here - http://www.termight.co.uk/dreddhelmet.html

and can check this forum out too - http://megacityjustice.yuku.com/

I am having a go - with cardboard and bondo:

DREDDWIPdec09.jpg

I didnt have fixed dimensions, scaled it to fit my head. As you can see, its still very much a WIP

good luck !!

Heatshock, damn mate thats pretty sweet even though a WIP. I am really gonna have to organise popping upto yours when this weather & time allows LOL for those jars & checking out your stuff.

Jason

no probs mate - although I really should get me finger out and complete that lid
completely understand with the weather :D - darn snow again last nite!

perhaps we can meet up in middlesbrough and can give you a lift over to mine?

you got my number mate

Hi Heatshock.

Thanks for the plug.

Looking at your helmet I would recommend sloping the respirator badge area backwards so it doesnt stand so proud of the helmet. (I said the same about the Judge Minty helmet and it looked a lot better after it was changed).

Cheers,

Wake

If you are tackling a Dredd helmet (comic) I can say from doing the Minty helmets its an a#se to get it right!
The main problem with the helmet is that nearly all the artists draw the helmet far too short nose to back of head...
If you look at the classic 'Gaze into the fist...' pic that's about the only picture where Bolland has drawn a head and then drawn the helmet, rather than drawn a helmet and the face after ;-)
You can see its far 'longer' than a normal sketch of a Judge's helmet...so if you do a 'classic' proportion it looks too long like in the Bolland sketch, so if you then bring the ear to ear up to pro, it ends up far too big....
If you remember these points during the sculpting stage,you should be ok size wise ;-)
Its hard to describe, which is why I sound like I'm waffling.
The helmet Greg Staples wears in the Judge Minty film was my 'final' version ;-)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back