In Space No One Can Hear You Kitbash...

I'm curious if there is any scenes in the Movie that show those areas where they added the AT-AT head, does it show more clearly on Blue-Ray? Can you see the parts that were originally there?

Even IF it's not well documented I'd still try to be as accurate restoring such a Famous Film Prop rather than adding nods to past films, even though I LOVE" The Empire Strikes Back"!

Gives a whole new scope to what they had to deal with and go through that the still pictures do not quite capture.

Been a while since I watched it or read up on it, but didn't they say somewhere that a racoon or something had made a home inside it and then died?

What I don't understand is why did anyone let it sit outside in the weather to begin with. Was it a studio or some individual that had too much time to let it slip away like that. I can almost understand from the 70's people doing it , but up into the 90's and beyond. People are really stupid to let icons like that and others go to the way side.

I'd volunteer to store anyone's props like that and help restore it for free..lol

I really dont think they care, lets face it, the studio made there money on the movie, i dont really think a model would really warrant saving for any form of financial gain, whether is iconic or not?

lee

What I don't understand is why did anyone let it sit outside in the weather to begin with. Was it a studio or some individual that had too much time to let it slip away like that. I can almost understand from the 70's people doing it , but up into the 90's and beyond. People are really stupid to let icons like that and others go to the way side.

I'd volunteer to store anyone's props like that and help restore it for free..lol

Fox gave it to Bob Burns but he had nowhere to put it, so it sat on his driveway under a tarp for years. Sounds horrible, but it was the only thing he could do. (What would YOU do if something so large was dropped off at your house? Get a second mortgage to construct a building for it? ;) ) If it wasn't for Bob, the model would've been lost years ago.

Fox gave it to Bob Burns but he had nowhere to put it, so it sat on his driveway under a tarp for years. Sounds horrible, but it was the only thing he could do. (What would YOU do if something so large was dropped off at your house? Get a second mortgage to construct a building for it? ;) ) If it wasn't for Bob, the model would've been lost years ago.

i would rent a storage building to put it in for 75.00 a month. That's kinds why people shouldn't have too large a prop collection because they become " everyday " for them, or take them for granted.

Stan Lee said it best ' With great power , come great responsibility. Just saying you own a lot of props to make a name for yourself isn't enough , you need to take care of them and make sure the history is preserved .

Last edited:
He didn't even ask for it. They just showed up with a moving van full of stuff. The glass is half-full, here. Again, it wouldn't exist otherwise.

...and I'm going to take my own advice and say that despite my misgivings about license being taken, I do think that otherwise the restoration is being handled well.

Hi guys,

Thank you for the feedback on our Nostromo project.

Please see here for an overview of the project:

http://www.propstore.com/nostromo.htm

Every effort has been made to make the restoration of this model as faithful to the original as possible. We tracked down as many of the original modelers as possible (including Martin Bower mentioned above), and arranged to scan their reference photography from the construction of the Nostromo. These photos have been essential to the recreation of missing components for the project.

In many cases, details on the ship repeat themselves, and we had at least one example. The guys at GMD were able to mold the existing part, and create new versions that were true copies of the original. For example, we were missing many of the rear flaps, and the "flower" detail pieces in the engines. We did have at least one style of each of these, which they molded to recreate the missing ones.

With regards to the AT-AT head on the model. The "under chin" section was one piece that we did not have a single piece of. Despite our best efforts, we came up with very little reference to this section as well. That means that some things like the antennae mount had to idealized. My feeling is that the work done was all in the style of the original build, but of course it is not 100% accurate, and can't be without better reference.

We wanted to put this chin unit back onto the model as it makes a significant difference to the balance and profile of the piece. It is held on with screws and is easily removable, should anyone ever wish to return the model to a state of only original components.

If anyone has other questions on the model we would be happy to answer them.

Very best
Brandon

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back