In Space No One Can Hear You Kitbash...

saw the AT-AT head they put on the model kit

is that right?

how did they have a model kit of the AT-AT a year before (at least)
Empire came out?

struck me as odd

saw the AT-AT head they put on the model kit

is that right?

how did they have a model kit of the AT-AT a year before (at least)
Empire came out?

struck me as odd

No your right, that is not right, the Nostromo miniatures were made for Alien in 1978-79, and the ATAT empire model kit was not availible till the 80's

So that ATAT head, can only be artistic licence, but if they wanted acuracy, i dont understand why they didnt call Martin Bower to come and help on it, or at least advise, since he was one of the main chief model makers for Alien.....

Jonathan

Since the atat head isnt relevant the nostromo in any way whatsoever, you would have thought they would have made at least the smalest effort to disguise what it is...

Jonathan

If I read the blog correctly, the lower area of the bridge detailed with the AT-AT head was not well documented. Hence, some artistic license.

Plus, it seems to me that while not strictly what the original was detailed with, it seems a long tradition in physical model building to add small "jokes" and nods to sci-fi classics.

Personally, I like these little jokes. It's part of what I miss about working at BOSS FILMS. Hearing stories and seeing what the camera doesn't.

Ted.
Prefect42.

I think its quality, and seeing as its not a documented area, good job by all involved for having a bit of fun....something we seem to be lacking in this very thread :lol......sorry guys, but you too seem to be taking this way too serious :lol its a restore, not your model, lighten up!

On a good note, she is looking stellar now, a long way from when she was found in a terrible state!

lee

For those who think it takes away from the original, what does that say about ILM putting green army men in the Super Star Destroyer? Take away from that? I don't think so.

I truly think they're doing a great job on the NOSTROMO. Besides, if YOU were asked to work on restoring her, and they told you to glue an AT-AT head there...................you would smile and say "sure thing, how many do you want?!?"

:lol

For those who think it takes away from the original, what does that say about ILM putting green army men in the Super Star Destroyer? Take away from that? I don't think so.

I truly think they're doing a great job on the NOSTROMO. Besides, if YOU were asked to work on restoring her, and they told you to glue an AT-AT head there...................you would smile and say "sure thing, how many do you want?!?"

:lol

Green army men on the Super star destroyer?????? first ive heard of that, thats terrible, the amount of kits that were waisted were they only used 2-4 peices out of each kit, and now green army men.

AT AT head, Actually, i would question it, in the British film industry in model making, we were taught to completly doctor a part that may be obvious to its origins, and i would phone Martin Bower who built the original for is opinion, who would probally threaten me for acts of sacralige. lol

Jonathan

Green army men on the Super star destroyer?????? first ive heard of that, thats terrible, the amount of kits that were waisted were they only used 2-4 peices out of each kit, and now green army men.

AT AT head, Actually, i would question it, in the British film industry in model making, we were taught to completly doctor a part that may be obvious to its origins, and i would phone Martin Bower who built the original for is opinion, who would probally threaten me for acts of sacralige. lol

Jonathan

Hmm now im not happy, they have clearly fitted those 8rad chassis on the left front hull in basic form with no regard to disguise them, how dare they :lol
I think were all pretty well trained enough here, to see what wasnt intended to be seen by the shop, no matter how well trained you are to disguise it.

lee

I can understand the necessity of taking licences in under-documented areas, but they should still only use parts that were available when the model was built, jokes or no.

If this was someone's personal Nostromo, I'd have no problem with it. But this is a RESTORATION. Not a time to "make it your own".

When they restored the Leo's Last Supper, they didn't sneak Coke cans onto the table.

I can understand the necessity of taking licences in under-documented areas, but they should still only use parts that were available when the model was built, jokes or no.

If this was someone's personal Nostromo, I'd have no problem with it. But this is a RESTORATION. Not a time to "make it your own".

When they restored the Leo's Last Supper, they didn't sneak Coke cans onto the table.

Bravo!!!

Jonathan

Yep! Green Army Men (or at least ONE was) were used hidden in the upper superstructure of the Executor Super Star Destroyer. I'll try to find a pic of that. I know I've seen it.

BTW, you did know that an Idaho Potato and a tennis shoe were used in TESB asteroid field sequence?

Since the atat head isnt relevant the nostromo in any way whatsoever, you would have thought they would have made at least the smalest effort to disguise what it is...

They did. Look at it a couple photos further down. You can see it with cast resin tank parts and such glued all over it.

Plus this is such a small part compared to the rest of the ship and hidden up inside a recess, no one would ever notice it unless told what it was under all the greeblies.

Yep! Green Army Men (or at least ONE was) were used hidden in the upper superstructure of the Executor Super Star Destroyer. I'll try to find a pic of that. I know I've seen it.

Ive seen it too, there's also R2D2 on the mother ship of Close Encounter :

2356131057_7bdb66b5ed_b.jpg

(found this pic on this flickr account : http://www.flickr.com/photos/afagen/)

A photo or two later in the original link starting this thread (Picture #11 from the top), it mentions "Spaceballs pieces added to the deep detail hidden in the dark recesses here."

Does anyone know what details those would be?

Ted.
Prefect42.

A photo or two later in the original link starting this thread (Picture #11 from the top), it mentions "Spaceballs pieces added to the deep detail hidden in the dark recesses here."

Does anyone know what details those would be?

Ted.
Prefect42.

I was wondering that too. The only thing I can think of is that they had pieces of Scroob's ship that were too far broken/missing to do a restoration on, so they're using it for greeblie fodder.

Regarding Spaceballs pieces:

Basically the 4 larger parts on the back wall. The ones that have dome ends, and multiple strips stuck on them.

Although understandable, i still wish they hadn't used them. The 'skin' of Spaceball 1 was made of cut-up castings coming from (i believe) 1 larger masterpattern. These are just parts from the same molds. They probably cast up dozens, if not hundreds for the show.

I just hope they were leftovers, and weren't used on Spaceball 1.

Besides that, the lady is shining again, which is good. And they did do an excellent job on her. These are pro's, even though they used some artistic license. I'm sure Propstore doesn't care about that. She's preserved, which is more important in this case, imho.

Cheers,

Wasili

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back