Aliens APC - 1/12 - ** **

wasili

Sr Member
Hey folks,

Always loved the APC from Aliens. Time to make a fairly sized model. A few years back i got a copy of the studio blueprint used to build the full-size prop, filled with profiles and dims. A good start, as it seems to be a fairly definite version, with minor changes.

Now the fullsize 1/1 prop (build on a Hunslet aircraft tow tractor) clocks in at roughly 8,5 mtr long. Recalc at 1/12th scale makes it 712 mm long, or a bit over 28 1/4" long.

The Halcyons kit is actually quite accurate ((( EDIT: No, it isn't :) ))). There are a number of things that are different from the final on-screen prop ( 1/1 or miniature ), but they are minor and easily recognizable with a bit of research. My model is based on the blueprints, and not so much the Halcyon kit.

Nowadays i love doing prework in 3d CAD, to work out any issues. Also links up easier with my cnc. Currently have the body nearly done in cad, still need to finetune the top chamfer and the front nose (the front turret area to be precise). Started on the wheels. I have some good pics of the real wheels, which have VERY different thread than the Halcyon kit.

Will this be a kit ? Probably yes, but first finish the masters.

Here's the first wip pics.

Cheers,

Wasili

wasili-wipCAD01b.jpg

wasili-wipCAD02b.jpg

wasili-wipCAD03b.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Aliens APC - 1/12th - 28 1/4" long

very cool , you will be the second person to attempt such a feat , chris c (fng) being the first allthough his was remote controled , Depending on price this is one kit i would definately be interested in .

Thanx for the encouragement.

Just finished the cad files for the innerframe. Will start machining those tonight from 2mm styrene. Pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

Hey folks,

thursday's update:

Cnc-ed the innerframe from thick styrene, and put it together for the pic, without glue. For size comparison, i put in a can, albeit one with a local touch. :)

Started on the cladding. And in the pics, on the right side, you can see the parts for the rear of the body. Tomorrow i'll cnc the floor pan, that'll straighten out the complete frame. Pics are a bit dark, sorry for that.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip04.jpg

Wasili-APCwip05.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 2nd update post 8 **

You know we are all thinking Remote Control Right:love? Great work so far! So, just thinking out loud, you could do all the inner / outer panels and ship it a flat box. Separate box for gun turret and wheels.

Since this is CNC, is it possible to get a larger version say around 4 foot long? I could scratch the smaller pieces (light grill railgun mount etc).

Christian

i just peed in excitement over this. Of course I sure it will be way out of my price range already..lol

You know we are all thinking Remote Control Right:love? Great work so far! So, just thinking out loud, you could do all the inner / outer panels and ship it a flat box. Separate box for gun turret and wheels.

Since this is CNC, is it possible to get a larger version say around 4 foot long? I could scratch the smaller pieces (light grill railgun mount etc).

Christian

Hi Christian,

To be honest, flat panels, even with some subassemblies, don't work for me. This will most likely be a complete body, with nice and sharp edges. No messing with seperate panels.

A larger version is easy breasy. The panels are all the same, just a wee bit bigger. That's the advantage of having the 3d model to begin with. 4 Foot ? If you're shooting for 1/6th scale, that would be it 4' 8" .

Friday's UPDATE:

Worked out the side walls/panels in cad, which were a bit different on the full-size APC. Mostly the wheel arches (no, not 45 degree as was done in the Halcyon kit), and the intersection of the two chamfers on the top body.

Pics below show the floorpan. The three smaller pieces in front of the floorpan are the nose pieces directly surroundng the driver's window.

Wasili-APCwip07.jpg

And most of the panels for the roof and sides. There's no door yet or engine grilles on the opposite side, i'll put that in later. I've started to put the panels together, should have most of it done this weekend.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip06.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 3rd update post 11 **

Hey folks,

Nothing really fancy to show today. Been glueing the frame and floorpan together, making sure everything is perfectly perpendicular.

Made most of the datumplanes for the nose, as seen in the pics below. This is the innerframe, and slots perfectly into the larger frame. The slots in the parts ease the fit, and rule out all the measuring. After all, i draw it in cad, and it takes a few extra seconds to draw in the nodges.

Should have more pics of the overall build tomorrow. Will start on the wheels on monday.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip08.jpg

Wasili-APCwip09.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 4th update **

Thanx Rick !!! I love to work on this.

Here's todays update:

Put a few of the nose parts together, simply with tape, to get a feel of the thing.

Got most of the rear done, except for the two sheets with the ladder and the grilles.

Pics are a bit crappy. It's just a wee bit too dark in my workshop, and even though it works for me, it doesn't work for the pics. I'll try some shots tomorrow during daylight.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip10.jpg

Wasili-APCwip11.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 5th update **

OMG!!!! I am so gonna follow this thread! massive respect to you for takin this project on and for takin the time to share it with us!!!!! we are behind you all the way! it looks incredible already!!!

Last edited:
Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 5th update **

Thanx for the kind words, guys.

Today's update. Spent most of the day researching the rear vent, grill and gun rail. They differ from the blueprint.

Made the rear, sans the grills and vents. I just put in the rectangular gaps to add it the details later. Still need to finish the edges and the top to make a better fit.

I put the rails in the pic just to show an overall image. On the full-size prop, they did not reach all the way down to the floorpan, so here they are falling a bit back. I machined them from 4mm styrene, but they should be 5mm thick. Will add the remaining 1mm when i'm machining more 1mm parts. The three square rods that connect the rail to the body were figured out in cad, and match perfectly, although you can't see it here.

Last pic shows the overall length in comparison to your average beer can.

I've got the rep of my silicone supplier cming over tomorrowmorning to talk about the correct rubber for casting the wheels. Might give it a go. Should be interesting.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wasili

Wasili-APCwip12.jpg

Wasili-APCwip13.jpg

Wasili-APCwip14.jpg

Re: Aliens APC - 1/12 - 28 1/4" long ** 6th update **

Looks great so far Wasili!

Re the wheels wouldn't a self-skinning polyurethane foam be better to make them from?

Harry

i'd just like to buy the plans so i cut my own out of styrene . No way I can afford the finished one.

I wasnt even thinking about the wheels. The correct tread pattern is tricky. Looking awesome:thumbsup

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back