Pee-wee's Big Adventure bicycle - Part ID

Sleepyhollowstu

Hiya guys and gals!

I've been working on a replica of the bicycle from Pee-wee's Big Adventure for about seven years now, but I'm stuck on a couple of parts. So I was wondering if any of you out there would be able to help ID them.

First, a metal collar on the bicycle handlebars. I have no idea what this could be. It's just a metal cylinder with what looks like a tightening screw.

handlebarthing.jpg

Next, two pushbuttons. The red button nearest the camera, as well as the metal button beside it. I've found pushbuttons that are very close, but not perfect. Any of you seen these buttons before?

100_0335.jpg

If you guys can help me ID the metal collar and those two pushbuttons, I'll sing at your wedding, paint your house...you name it, I'll be there!

Thanks in advance, guys!

-Andy

The collar might be to extend the handlebar. The bar woould end in side of it and then they would have another piece of bar sticking out of the other side. I bet there is another grub screw on the other side of the collar. I fix bikes for a living and that is not a part I have ever seen.
I have no idea about the buttons.

Yeah, I've been dealing with bikes for a while myself and I've never seen it before either.

I was able to look at the piece all the way around, so I know for a fact that the screw we see in the picture is the only one. I, too, thought it was some kind of extension.

-Andy

I would be interested in knowing what the base bike was....I want to also make one of these bikes.

Thanks

Okay, after browsing the internet, I've determined that the piece on the handlebar is either a set screw collar or a set screw coupling. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding a collar wide enough, or a coupling with only one screw hole.

Still no luck on the buttons. Anyone?

-Andy

After looking at your pics and thinking real hard, this is what I think:

It looks like the H-bar to the right of the collar is a larger dia. than the part of the H-bar to the left of the collar. The collar looks like a made part to me(A lot of the couplers are cast and have some seaming, as well as using larger set screws and having several) I think they used a large dia H-bar(Harley uses 1"(25.4mm), I think) and then inserted the ends of a bicycle bar(22.2mm) into the moto bar, slid the collar over them both and tightened the grub scew pincheing them together.

I also have a theory on the switches, two of them anyway. I am pretty sure the switch to the right is a black rubber covered push switch with the rubber missing. I think the middle switch might be the same deal but with a bigger switch, maybe an old style auto dimmer switch.

Dude, I remember obsessing over this bike when I was a kid! I wanted one so bad I actually lost sleep over it! Damn you Tim Burton!

Not sure if you already knew this, but I just watched the movie and might have it figured out.

The photo you have is an underside view of the handlebars, specifically - the right hand grip. I believe in the movie, the black "control box" is on his right hand grip of the main "hero" bike (I don't know how many were used / built).

During the chase scene in the studio back lot, Pee Wee is pursued by a security guard on a bike. The guard chases Pee Wee and reaches for the right grip, and the entire grip falls off. Then a replacement grip / section of thinner handlebar "pops out" James Bond style.

It's clear that Pee Wee is on a trailer mounted bike, you can see the aluminum collar on this bike. When the guard grabs the grip, you can tell it's "loose" inside the collar (it's clearly shaking loose so it's easy for him to grab). The guard is "foiled" and Pee Wee laughs.

Then we cut to a close up of what is obviously a whole different set of "insert shot" close up handlebars on a bike setup. You can tell because the black control box has a pink / red cable hanging out the front, which is silly because on the "hero" bike he normally rides, you can see that there are gear changers mounted inboard on the bars with pink / red cables. They are mounted no where near the black control box.

He also uses the "black control box / red cable" bars when he fires the smoke out the back to foil the golf cart guys. Film cuts back and forth between these 2 handlebar setups.

My thinking is that the collar was just a means to release the "pop out" grip. It clamps down to hold the 2 ends together.

BTW: I love Pee Wee's bike and have considered building a replica for many years, but have never gotten around to it. :)

Last edited:
I've been working on a PW bike for a while now as well. I just ordered some thick walled aluminium tube from onlinemetals and drilled and tapped the hole for a hex set screw. Cost me about $5. I'll take a couple of pics when I get home.

As for the chrome button, the closest thing I've found so far have been old car dash start buttons similar to this one... Still haven't found the exact right one yet.

Awesome reference pics BTW... did you go check it out at the Bicycle Museum?

!Bf-82,Q!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKj8Erzk+6U64BLD,w2vK2w~~_12.JPG

The bicycle in my pictures is at the Hollywood Museum in Hollywood, Ca. It's the screen-used bicycle used in the Mother Superior scene. I have a lot of pictures of it, some better than others. It's in a very large glass display case, so taking pictures of it isn't the easiest thing in the world.

-Andy

The bicycle in my pictures is at the Hollywood Museum in Hollywood, Ca. It's the screen-used bicycle used in the Mother Superior scene. I have a lot of pictures of it, some better than others. It's in a very large glass display case, so taking pictures of it isn't the easiest thing in the world.

-Andy

That's cool. I believe there is one that sold on EBay in the Bicycle Museum of America someplace in Ohio, but a lot of parts were missing.

Here's a pic of my collar...

image.aspx

And here are the buttons I have at the moment. Close, but not exact...

image.aspx

Last edited:
Not to stray off the original topic, but snapped a couple pics of my modified Delta light as well. I still need to paint the propeller yellow.

image.aspx

image.aspx

What bike was used for the movie? What I'm asking was if the bike was a 'found' item that was just enhanced for the movie...like the DeLorean Time Machine??

What bike was used for the movie? What I'm asking was if the bike was a 'found' item that was just enhanced for the movie...like the DeLorean Time Machine??

There were a few different styles... (If you watch closely details change from scene to scene) But for the most part it was a '50's postwar Schwinn DX curved frame with a springer fork.

Not my bike, but a pic of one... notice the frame curves umder the tank.
Schwinn_DX.JPG

Here is a "straight bar" frame with a springer
337_15.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back