Book of Eli machete - Ghostsoldier's version

Ghostsoldier

Sr Member
OK, here’s my take on the Book of Eli machete…I can't let Fuelish have all the fun! After all, to be fair….if I draw it, I need to make it…so, here’s how I'm doing it:

I decided to use a piece of 3/16” mild steel sheeting, which had been lying around the yard for a few years, becoming naturally weathered with rust, scale and pitting. I chose this because I wanted the patina of an aged weapon, which I feel gives it more visual “character” than a smooth piece. (Sorry for the small pics; I forgot my camera, so I used my phone)....

1.jpg

I taped the pattern to the steel, then fogged the outline with yellow spray paint…

2.jpg

I used a 4” high-speed grinder and cutting discs…it actually made the curves pretty easily, and I only used 4 discs cutting out the blade. Here’s the blank…

3.jpg

4.jpg

I used a bench grinder and wheel to smooth the burrs and start a rudimentary edge....

5.jpg

6.jpg

I used the same 4" grinder, but this time with a 24-grit “flapper” disc setup, to enhance the rudimentary edge, and knock off the really rough scale….

7.jpg

8.jpg

I'm going to have to have it sand blasted to get the deeply pitted rust out of the blade, as I think it will look better (naval jelly does not work well)...

I then used my electric drill and a 1/16” bit to add the pilots for the 5 blade holes…

9.jpg

And a bench press drill to enlarge them to ½”….

10.jpg

11.jpg

You can see the patina in these pics...I have to enlarge the center hole...

12.jpg

13.jpg

Next on the list (after sand blasting and finishing the edge contours and bevels) are the scales and the leather handle wrapping...I'm also considering adding a sharpened edge (I have teenaged kids, so I'm tossed-up about that...but, most-likely, I probably will!).....More to come....
Rob

Nicely done so far. That is some seriously heavy weathering.

Gotta love those flapper wheels though eh? I use them when welding in body panels, it nearly eliminates the need for filler.

Anyway I can't wait to see how it comes along. Please take pics of how you attach the scales. That is the part I'm still unsure of.

The weathering on the steel looks fantastic, good choice.
What weight did you end up with?

Last edited:
That looks great. That steel has a lot of depth. I love cutting discs on an angle grinder. You can do all kinds of stuff with a handful of chop discs. (But I still want a band saw that can handle steel)

Balaram said:
The weathering on the steel looks fantastic, good choice.
What weight did you end up with?

Thanks....I haven't weighed it officially, but it's around 2 pounds... :confused

That looks great. That steel has a lot of depth. I love cutting discs on an angle grinder. You can do all kinds of stuff with a handful of chop discs. (But I still want a band saw that can handle steel)

Yeah...my dad's got one, and I'm jealous! :cool
And thanks for the kudos...it means a lot, coming from "the machete master"! :thumbsup

Rob

Looks great. I would recommend completely cleaning up the tang of the machete though. The weathering looks fantastic on the rest of the blade yes, but it is actual rust. You don't want that stewing under then handle getting worse until one day it just breaks off.

Thanks....I haven't weighed it officially, but it's around 2 pounds... :confused

Yeah...my dad's got one, and I'm jealous! :cool
And thanks for the kudos...it means a lot, coming from "the machete master"! :thumbsup

Rob

It looks awesome! I'm actually rather surprised that the process for making a machete is so complicated. I always thought they were just stamped. What hammer-finish spray are you using? Krylon?

Last edited:
I believe the standard machetes are stamped (Martindales, Brazil-made, for instance), but these Eli versions are thicker, heavier, and more prominently tapered blades....you can see it in this image (look at the thickness of the blade near his finger)....
2010_book_of_eli_018.jpg

....and yep, I use Krylon....:cool
Rob

Ghostsolider I just want to pass this on to you since no one has:

If you edge it you'll have to temper it,plain carbon steel ain't worth a damn un-tempered in fact as a prop I'll warn you not to hit anything with it if it's untempered as it'll bend-and stay bent.

Tempered steel will spring back unless you bend it so far out of line etc.,etc.

And don't get me started on stainless swords and large knives like that machete there.....

Thanks, Krull. :)
Yep, I've had some experience in tempering steel tools in the past (an acquired skill, I'll tell you), and to be honest, this Eli machete is for use as a prop only, so I'm not going to fret with the hardness factor on this one....

...now, if I were to be going on a killing spree with it, I might want to build it out of something a little more sturdy....:lol
Rob

UPDATE: HANDLE
Since Fuel did an admirable job showing how to pin the handle scales on a tang, I decided to take a different tack on the building of my prop: I've decided to glue them on.

My reasoning is this: The scales are a base for the leather wrapping, and as such, won't be seen. I also wanted to test the durability of Gorilla Glue (I've never used it in crafting before), so this will be a good one.

Here's some photos of the process....
S6305199.jpg

Here are the scales, cut from 1/2" plywood veneer....

S6305200.jpg

The Gorilla Glue and clamps....

S6305204.jpg

The glueing process.

I'm letting it dry for 24 hours, and the next step will be shaping the handle to a comfortable profile....more pics to come....:thumbsup

Also, after oiling the blade, I've decided NOT to polish the rust discoloration out of it...it really added the character, once it darkened up a little....
Rob

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back