An X-Wing Mistery Greebly Solved

JoslinFX

Hi guys

while making patterns for a new X-wing kit im working on, I had just spend 2 days trying to figure out what kit part makes that little greebly on the wing front of the 1/15 tank jack next tp the corrigated whell. I had already searched every thread i could find on building the X, but found nothing on it that explained it. After 2 days of searching every kit i own out of the hundreds, i gave up and thought, thats it im gonna have to scratch build it.

So i sat down and thought, ok, i need a little round peice with a slit in it, even if i have to cut peices off kit parts to make it. so i picked up the nearest kit to me and opened it... [1/76 fujimi elephant] and low and behold, i found a round greebly that matched it perfectly in scale, dimensions and detail.
Then i needed the straight rod peice with ribs on it, though 1 rib had a specific rounded edge. So brought the picture up on my laptop of the close up of the original X model wing on the screen, and in frustration thinking it might be from a landing gear strut or something, i looked down at the bench in stress wondering if i have a to search my entire inventory of kits again, and i noticed out of the corner of my eye, the Saturn V small engine bell i had been cutting up for the engine cones. and noticed something interesting.
Not only did the engine bell connectors fit the bill in scale, dimentions and detail, On the screen at the top edge of the greebly was a small square blob that wasnt highlighted by the last people who questioned this part, yet this engine bell connector had that square blob too.

After putting the two peices fujimi elephant and saturn v parts together, i came to the conclusion that these were the exact parts purely by coincedence, that i found literally five minutes after giving up on two days of research trying figure this greebly out.

I used a pic that was on another thread about this greably that offered no explination. yet this little blob was not hilighted. Yet its this little blob that gave the blatent evedence that this was from the saturn V kit, meaning this greebly did have two parts to it, and the other part must be from the fijimi elephant, cause other parts of that kit were used on the original model.

Pics below

PS: Feel free to add other Mystery X-Wing greeblies to this thread

Jonathan

Last edited:
I've got Beaz to thank for this one:
http://www.therpf.com/showpost.php?p=1053631&postcount=65

Are you sure? If you look closely at other reference you can see the unique curved surface of the cap betraying its true origin: SEALAB. In my own X build I discovered that same elephant part... it is easily the best substitution.

Well i examined the orignal red 3 reference photos, and the lighting was perfectly across it, exposing its exact shape, and erm, it doesnt seem to have any unique curved surface, in fact, the lighting shows it to have a flat surface in relation to the fading shadow next to it on the Saturn V part that does have a curved suface.....

But I wont tell if you dont, that way if one of us got it wrong, we wont be arrested by M.I.S.S.H.A.P.E [the Millitant International Studio Scale Hazard Acurisation Police Evangelics]... lol

pic below

Jonathan

Last edited:
Hey buddy I'm trying to help you out; I wasn't speculating.;)

I know, I wasnt questioning your acuracy on the Sealab part either, i ment, and i asume you did the same- I based what i looked for to find the right peice on the dimensions i looked at that i could see what was shown in the orignal pics. Since most refence is not always blatanty clear on the detail in pictures, it preaty much leaves it to your own imagination as to aprocsimate possibility of what we think the peice is.

I suppose only a concensuss would astablish someting to be the exact peice.

Jonathan

Last edited:
In the third picture in the first post the round part looks bigger than the rim on the end of the saturn part which is not joined to it, but in the first picture the elephant part is smaller than the sat rim. I'm not sure the original part has a slit, it looks raised to me.

It's raised and the part is from the sealab.

I didnt say it wasn't raised, i expressed that the picture of the orignal model doesnt show any unuque curved dome, but shows a more flattish disk with a central detail.

If it is from a Sealab Kit, illl scratch build it then.

Jonathan

Last edited:
I have that part casted if you want it? I also have all the Sea Lab parts molded for casting :rolleyes

Thats an awsome offer, how much do you charge for a set of castings, including general shipping, barring in mind im in the UK.

The reason i never bought Sealab kit my self, is cause ive never seen one sell for under £300, and ive examined every picture on the net of the kit parts unsed on studio scale replicas, all those particular parts of the sealab kit is completly scratchbuildable, its was just a matter of getting scale and dimentions.
But since you can make full sets, that sounds great.

Jonathan

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back